Can a fault code clear itself?

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did something stupid today. At a light I started off in 3rd gear instead of 1st, of course that went almost nowhere and I grabbed 2nd since I was sort of moving and went on. Look down at the dash and my CEL is on. I tried to reset it with the battery disconnected but got nowhere. Turned the key three times to see a code P0136, O2 sensor. I'm wondering if my stumble at starting off in 3rd caused the code, and also wondering if this might clear itself after a few short drives, I remember reading that some codes could, but if anyone has any experience please share.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Some will clear with two to three drive cycles if condition was temporary. Otherwise, use an inexpensive code reader to confirm codes...then clear it and watch.

FYI... it helps "armchair guessing" if you provide year of Viper.

I hope it works out for you.

OP
OP
T

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove a few miles to the store, got back in to head home and guess what!? The CEL is gone!!! Yes!

So in this case it took three short drives / cycles to clear the code.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reviving my old thread. That O2 sensor CEL was gone for soooo long but it’s coming on again for no reason. I think I was a bit hesitant with pushing the Start Button and that caused it to return a little while ago; a few errands and it cleared. Then a week later it’s back but also gone after two short drives. It’s annoying me! If it would just stay on I would change the sensor, but it doesn‘t. Thoughts or opinions???

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I wonder if maybe the heater circuit is starting to go or something. So when it's cold it reads off enough to throw the code, but as things warm up it comes back in line with what the computer is expecting. That or some other kind of transient problem with the spark/fueling at initial start. How many miles have you got on the sensors right now? I think most are supposed to be changed around 60,000 miles if I remember correctly, so if you're getting close it might be easier to just swap them now. I'm not sure what shelf life is like for them though, so don't know if they have a yearly age limit or not.