Center consol crack, need help!

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I leaned on the center consol to many times and it cracked. I removed it from the car and tried ABS glue, PVC glue and A-B mix epoxy. None of these types of glue will bond to this material. I have been testing off to the side so when I find the right type of adhesive I will have a clean surface to repair. Can some one help me out here? Should I use a hot glue gun?
Please advise,
( I've also tried Atkins, It works for me but not my center consol )
Thanks,
Dan

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We bought a Viper with a cracked center console and went ahead and bought another one from Partsrack.com. Try giving Jon a call.

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipernate, you get the dirt outta that ACR yet? :)

Yeah it's cleaned up and looking good. So you interested or what? I saw you looking it down pretty hard Friday. I think it's calling your name. Oh, and I was driving it home the other day and the shocks do rattle. Just the way you like it. ;)

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your car under warranty? DC has warrantied many cracked center consoles because of the weak design (including mine). I think the last ones they put in the 02's had some sort of better support system.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipernate, you get the dirt outta that ACR yet? :)

Yeah it's cleaned up and looking good. So you interested or what? I saw you looking it down pretty hard Friday. I think it's calling your name. Oh, and I was driving it home the other day and the shocks do rattle. Just the way you like it. ;)

Yep, thinking about it. Would have to unload the Blue/White GTS first.

OP
OP
Fast Viper Dan

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(Is your car under warranty? DC has warrantied many cracked center consoles because of the weak design (including mine). I think the last ones they put in the 02's had some sort of better support system.)

I do have the Maxcare or Maxicare? extended warrentee. I am past the 3 year 36k. I'll call my dealer and ask if it's covered. Some support would be a good thing, The way this one (99) is molded it has none. No ribbing of any kind.
Dan

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You need to make a truss out of wood or metal, that transfers the weight from the console piece, directly to the center tunnel. If you look at the bottom of the center console piece on a 2001, you can see little rubber bumpers, which look like they were put there in a vain attempt to tansfer weight to the center tunnel. Use the bottom surface of the bumpers as a guide, for your truss height. Fill in the space between the underside of the center console, and the bottom of the bumpers, with your truss material. A modification like this will spread the weight exerted on the console directly to the center tunnel, so that the weak material won't be subjected to stress.

I'm working on mine, and will post pics when done. (Next weekend)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(Is your car under warranty? DC has warrantied many cracked center consoles because of the weak design (including mine). I think the last ones they put in the 02's had some sort of better support system.)

I do have the Maxcare or Maxicare? extended warrentee. I am past the 3 year 36k. I'll call my dealer and ask if it's covered. Some support would be a good thing, The way this one (99) is molded it has none. No ribbing of any kind.
Dan

DC won't cover interior parts under the extended warranties... :(

smashman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine also cracked while having the stereo installed. A new one was ordered, and there was a difference between them, the new one had supports molded into it, while the old one did not. I made the stereo shop pay for mine, but it's obvious by the change in design that DCX was aware of the problem. I would at least attempt to get them to cover it.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked into getting a new one for my 94. I just wanted a newer looking one than what I have.
I don't remember the price but I do remember it was LARGE MONEY.
I decided to get mine covered.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that an aluminum, fitted backing brace could be bonded to the underside across the crack. A stand type support could be added as the guys mentioned, to keep it from breaking again.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is the console cracking? Never experienced it and want to stay clear of the area so I don't experience it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is the console cracking? Never experienced it and want to stay clear of the area so I don't experience it.

Mine has a crack at the screw near the driver's side hip. One day my back was killing me and I put too much weight on the console.

OP
OP
Fast Viper Dan

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has two cracks, Both are running out from the slot that the e-brake comes thru. One from the mid or center, the other from the rear or towards the back of the car. I leaned on the console just behind the e-brake.

Dan

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
CODY triedd to buy one from me when his cracked, and I advised him to try WARRANTY......it worked, so I Talked myself out of a sale, again!

We bought the parts from the 2002 Right-Hand-Drive conversions, and I have a lot of 2002 black consoles, with under 30 miles....NEW Steering racks, dashboards, knee panels, heater boxes etc, etc,

"IF IT FITS ON OR IN A VIPER"......... Thanks