Center console cracked!!

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could kick myself today. Have a 2000 GTS. Center console between emergency brake and glove box cracked. I was leaning down to pick up something on passenger side floor and rested a bit too much of my weight on my right arm resting on the console. Heard a heartstopping crack and now console is creased about 6-8" long. Looks like hell. I know its not a trampoline or anything but geez...not as sturdy as I thought I guess. Happen to anyone else out there??

Luvjet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the car two weeks. Cracked the center console exactly the same way in the same place. Thought it was just me.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it is covered under the 3/36 Basic Warranty [I would], it is NOT covered under the "Service Contract/Extended Warranty", even the "Max Care" plain! The SC/EW DO NOT cover any Trim![carpet to soft top]
frown.gif

2000 GTS- If it is the panel with the P/brake in it you need:
FRONT CONSOLE
Black- Part# PF251X7AE MSRP$677
Cognac- Part# PF25WUCAE MSRP$677

If it is the panel with the glove box in it you need:
BULKHEAD TRIM PANEL
Part# LC171XBAD MERP$1085

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipera,

I have seen several posts of this happening. Seems common. I have no idea if it's covered under warranty, though.

MikeDGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like this is happening to mostly 2000 models. Different materials used, perhaps. I am definitely not overweight at 6'1" and 145 lbs., but I cracked my console too! Glad to see its a warranty. I can get that fixed along with my rattling E-brake and leaking windshield!!
laugh.gif

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wake up boys! Technically it's not covered under warranty. Was it that way when you bought the car? NO. Dodge DID NOT sell you the car with a cracked console. You broke it. Why should they pay for a trim repair that is not their fault? Do you get it?
They dealer could get the claim charged back to them.

Knowing those FACTS, you should buy the whole service department lunch if they replace it under warranty. It should have cost you around $750.00. Lunch for all-$300.00 maybe, if you don't supersize your combos. Get the Viper tech the supersize. Have I replaced them under warranty?.....of course.dj

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David,
No it was not cracked when I bought the car new, but since it is happening to so many people who are not abusing the interior it is definitely a design flaw.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
The SC/EW DO NOT cover any Trim!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck,

Would you like to buy an r?

OP
OP
G

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, since so many people are experiencing this problem, Dodge SHOULD cover it under warranty. First, the thing shouldnt be so **** flimsey to start with. Second, there is no way in hell you are going to convince me that it costs $700 to manufacture anyways. If it does, I feel sorry that Dodge used it in the first place.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jenkins:
Wake up boys! Technically it's not covered under warranty. Was it that way when you bought the car? NO. Dodge DID NOT sell you the car with a cracked console. You broke it. Why should they pay for a trim repair that is not their fault? Do you get it?
They dealer could get the claim charged back to them.

Knowing those FACTS, you should buy the whole service department lunch if they replace it under warranty. It should have cost you around $750.00. Lunch for all-$300.00 maybe, if you don't supersize your combos. Get the Viper tech the supersize. Have I replaced them under warranty?.....of course.dj

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tip my Viper Techs VERY well, maybe that's why they didn't bat an eyelash when I asked them to replace the console. Like the saying goes "he who has the gold makes the rules".

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ronny, if I was to get paid off with a tip from you, I wouldn't bat an eyelash either. The funny thing is Runnin' Reb, if you read the last sentence of my post, I said I replace them under warranty.I guess I didn't make that clear enough for some of the gold slingers. What the heck does that mean anyway? Is it you who makes the rules because you give (own) the gold or is the Viper tech the one who makes the rule because he has received your gold?

grayman, if everyone flat spotted their tires should DC step up? It's flimsy because there is nothing under it to really support it. Don't hate it because it's a race car.
Not once did I try to justify the cost. I don't make the parts or set the prices, so chill.

Vipera, what did you get overcharged on? The exhaust? The television? Or do you think it was MGW? I personally find George's price very reasonable for the quality they turn out. Is $75k too much for one of the baddest production cars in the world? Betcha' it's the headers, huh?

xzgyil, I'm not much of a drinker. One brew and I'm done. Call me a lightweight, but my 220 can crack any console. Bring the Dos Eques green bottle. Get it done under warranty.

marc, sometimes things break even if they aren't abused. The cat that said he weighed 145 snapped his. How much weight do you think it took to break it? 60 lbs.? I really don't consider it a design flaw since it wasn't meant to hold that much weight. I guess Dodge should maybe put on a warning label so people won't put any weight on it.

Is this a common problem, between you all, yes. In the entire Viper production, no because the car didn't come with a broken console. This happens ONLY when too much force is placed on it by someone. So it's only really common for the guys that break theirs even though they are not being abusive. I guess when you see the volume of cars that I do, things like cracked consoles don't surprise me. We have two of these pieces in stock, one for a warranty job and the other for screw holes from cell phone holder. I hope you might see the light in that Dodge does not have to replace this under the provisions of the warranty if it is cracked. This is all the more reason to appreciate it when things like this get replaced under warranty. I've done them under warranty and still do! Just trying to make you guys understand what is really under warranty. May you all have a wonderful holiday!!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
When you get in your Viper, you plunk your behind down in the seat, turn your legs inward to the foot pedals, which leaves you with the need to scoot back in the seat. The only way to accomplish this is to push your body up, by leaning on the center console. Thats why everyone breaks them in the same spot.

My console is just starting to crease in this area, after 4500 miles.

I'm gonna put my right hand on top of the passenger seat, and try not to put any weight on the console. If you get it fixed under warranty, consider yourself blessed. But really, it should be stronger in this area.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dj, take a chill pill. I didn't mean any disrespect. What I meant was when you tip the service employees (Including service manager, tech & the guy who takes the car in) it's amazing how everything is simplified. Hell I put down $300 just to make sure my motor that was sent to Arrow was treated right.

OP
OP
G

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If EVERYONE who touched their brakes flat spotted their tires, then yes, DC should replace tires. Since that is not a ridiculously common problem, and will happen to a non-ABS car during lockup, DC obviously doesnt. But putting a bit of pressure where your arm normally sets, is not subjecting the car to unreasonable stress. If the part was $100 like it should be, then nobody would care. I realize the Viper is no honda, but come on now...

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh Ron, I took it as a diss. Believe me, I'm chilly. Just trying to get my point across that you don't have to open the roll to get things like that done. I take care of MY customers on things like this. I let them know what they did wrong so it never happens again. You just can't put any excessive weight on these things. What's excessive? Not too sure. I'm sure I would feel the same as you guys if I were in your situation.

I personally don't think it's a real common problem that people crack their consoles. There just happen to be 10 guys here who have had the same thing happen. If it happened to 100 more people, that would still be less than 1% of production.
Look at it like this. A real common problem is a/c discharge line failure due to being routed by lt. exhaust manifold. Can't tell you how many we've done. The line fails from the heat, on its own, without excessive force from man. The consoles break because there isn't much support underneith, and because someone is putting excessive weight on it. I'd bet that there has been more than 1% a/c line failure. I'm with you guys, ya' just gotta' understand it's something that DOESN'T HAVE TO BE COVERED UNDER THE PROVISION OF WARRANTY. Heck, how many early GEN 2 cars have torn the window weatherstrips?? I gotta' disagree with you all in thinking that it's real common, the console wasn't made to support a small child's weight. I gotta' agree that most of the Viper parts are over priced. 2k for headers....hell no...a good set of hemi race headers are far under a grand. We still do oil changes for $69.00!!! dj