Changed battery, but car only runs 3-4 seconds..

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
before quitting.
You must be registered for see images
I know that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to get the car to run for more than 3-4 seconds before it quits running. I think that this is due to the fact that the computer is shutting it down (thinks that it is being stolen?). Funny thing, I can't get the door pops to work now with my key FOB - this also locks and unlocks the car. Any suggestions - I know others have experienced this

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Try disconnecting battery a couple of min, then reconnect. Then resync fob by holding both buttons down for several seconds, then hit disarm, and try to start...I may have more info around here somewhere, call me if you like at 317-873-6023.

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB is right.Three cheers
for JonB... You just have to keep setting and disarming after what has happened. It is the fuel cut off, but it will start. My gen1 did the same thing.

OP
OP
K

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. I have tried everything mentioned, but still can not get it going. Here is what happened after disconnecting the battery under the hood:

1. I disconnected the battery then re-connected. Immediately upon re-connecting the battery the flashers, dash lights and "alarm set" started flashing in sync. I tried to arm and dis-arm, but no luck.

2. When I bought the car, it had door pops on it already. I suspect that the factory FOB does not work if there is a different aftermarket alarm. I really do not know if there is an active aftermarket alarm on the car or not - sounds like the factory alarm is working as the fuel pump is shutting down??! I do have the factory FOB that I tried to arm and disarm (even put new batteries in it) but get nothing when I press the buttons. The aftermarket FOB that I have always used to lock and unlock the doors (read door pops) will not do anything now. Any other suggestions? Sorry for the long post.

Reaction score
Did you reconnect the small connector at the battery after installation? Maybe the small wires were broken when doing so. It has happened before.

cgACR

OP
OP
K

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I did connect the wiring for the fuel pump. The car does start, but only runs for a few seconds before shutting down. I know that this is related to my alarm, but can't get the factory key FOB to do anything.

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt,

You must resynch your alarm fobs for your alarm. This sometimes needs to be done when the battery is disconnected. The proceedure is fairly simple. It involves grounding a green wire near where your right knee would be if you were sitting, putting the ignition in the run (but not start) position, and hitting the buttons on the fob. The whole proceedure is a few mintues long, and is documented in the service manual. If you don't have one, I can fax you the page, or email a scan of it. Reply by email if you need it.

-Andy

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's pretty short. I'll just type it here:

1) remove left knee panel
2) locate dark green wire near right of steering column.
3) Turn ignition to on position
4) Connect green wire to ground
5) press button on transmitter to set code. If there is second transmitter, it has to be set at this time
6) disconnect green wire from ground
7) install left knee panel.

I don't think you need to remove the panel if you are fairly limber, although it will only add a few mintues to the job.

-Andy