Changing brake fluid and bleading

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my calipers off to repaint and I am upgrading to Motul Brake fluid. My question is after I reinstall the calipers how do I go about bleeding the lines? I am familiar with non ABS cars, but have never done it on a newer ABS viper and I was told it can't be don't the traditional way with someone pounding down the brake pedal etc.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

-Tim

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can bleed them traditionally however in order to bleed the abs module it is different, you have to actuate the module. You will be fine to replace the caliper and brake bleed them.

paul fettig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scan tool is required to bleed the system properly.

To bleed the master ABS fluid, change the fluid in ABS reservoir then take the car out and slam on the brakes. The abs actuator valve will open up forcing the fluid out and pulling in fresh fluid. Pretty simple and it works.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only need to use a scan tool is if the ABS ICU (HCU) is replaced, removed from the vehicle, or suspected of ingesting air.

This...every ABS car I've bled brakes on has worked just fine this way. Unless you think air got into the ABS module somehow, you can get away without sourcing a scan tool to cycle the ABS module. Basically, if you didn't let the master cylinder run dry, you should be fine using a pressure bleeder/pumping the brakes/whatever.

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the help. Like I said I just took the calipers off to paint them. The lines I let hang (well they just fell down) and dropped fluid out. I planned to just fill up the master cylinder with new Motul and bleed them out staring from the rear passenger side and working my way around.

Someone (probably doesn't know anything) said that I shouldn't just pump the brakes and open the lines on a ABS car as it will damage the ABS system.???

-Tim

Reaction score
Tim,

When I do my own brakes at home I just gravity bleed them (tap the calipers a couple times with something soft to loosen any air trapped), I don't think pumping the pedal is the way to go. It won't do anything to the ABS unit and although you don't have to bleed it if there is no air in it there will be some left over old fluid and that fluid could help contaminate the new fluid you just put in that is why we cycle the unit when we do a flush. At the track if you change it enough, cycling every time is probably not needed as often.

Okay thanks for the help. Like I said I just took the calipers off to paint them. The lines I let hang (well they just fell down) and dropped fluid out. I planned to just fill up the master cylinder with new Motul and bleed them out staring from the rear passenger side and working my way around.

Someone (probably doesn't know anything) said that I shouldn't just pump the brakes and open the lines on a ABS car as it will damage the ABS system.???

-Tim

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed Bleeders may be a good option for flushing , I know they are not recommended for bleeding , but for flushing they are great ! IMO . :)

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim,

When I do my own brakes at home I just gravity bleed them (tap the calipers a couple times with something soft to loosen any air trapped), I don't think pumping the pedal is the way to go. It won't do anything to the ABS unit and although you don't have to bleed it if there is no air in it there will be some left over old fluid and that fluid could help contaminate the new fluid you just put in that is why we cycle the unit when we do a flush. At the track if you change it enough, cycling every time is probably not needed as often.

Mark,

When gravity bleeding, do you do one caliper at a time or can you do multiples? If doing a single caliper at a time, do you start with the furthest one from the master cylinder?

I'm more concerned with getting fresh brake fluid in the system after track day events, etc. and looking for a safe way to do this (without screwing anything up on the abs module, etc).

Thanks,
George

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on using a Motive Power Bleeder (positive pressure bleeder) once it warms up a bit...I've used it in the past on other cars with a lot of success, so it should work just fine for this application too. Basically a modified garden sprayer that replenishes the fluid in the reservoir as it pushes the old stuff out of the open bleeder screws.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi