Changing spark plugs and Wires on a Dodge Viper Gen II

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool....did you wear a GoPro on your head? Thanks for posting.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent vid! Fundamental stuff that will help lotsa newbies. My only advice is to find a hot Asian chick to do it, you'll get lots more hits.

Anyway, looking forward to more. Good job.

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This video answered a lot of my questions.You are a valuable member to this forum.:)

I hope you can post more vids like this one, as you work on your Viper.. :)

Thanks, Arthur

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great video, I never have patients to do that (thank goodness people do) and I usually get pis$ed off at one point or another which would not be good to get on camera lol. :rolaugh:

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone know the life span of the original plug wires? Are they like the 1st Gen Neon where they're toast after 40K or are they more like the wires on my V10 truck that are still running strong after 140K miles?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone know the life span of the original plug wires? Are they like the 1st Gen Neon where they're toast after 40K or are they more like the wires on my V10 truck that are still running strong after 140K miles?

At 30K there is a noticable difference when wires are replaced with new. I change my plugs and wires every 20K.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the copper plugs on these V10's should be replaced every 20K or so but i think the wires should last twice that.

I pulled the original plugwires off my 97 a couple years ago at like 42K miles, measured the resistance with a voltmeter and they were within spec. Replaced em anyway with a set of AB Quality wires that i had.(which had a measured resistance of much less.) I plan on these taking me to 100K and think that any premium set of wires should last more than 40K miles.

I think there might be a false assumption on these forums about our wires prematurely failing that was caused by some owners running headers without heatshields causing the wires to endure excessive heat. Its also possible owners in hotter regions that track their vipers could have less life in the wires. Chuck if you really are still using stock wires and replacing every 20K then go ahead and measure the resistance of a 20K set vs a new set and report your findings:2tu:

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You set the video standard Jay! Thanks so much. I did the R&R a couple of weeks ago upgrading the original 10 year old cables to NOS GTS-R Oreca's (thanks JonB). I was able to do it without removing the fan cover though and the hardest part was fitting the cables to the looms. I've been told some folks can do it without removing the windshield cowl too!

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fan cover is 4 screw and give you lots of room, I could not have done it without removing the cowl but i have big hands. The cowl is 4 screws and the wipers.

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think posts like this one helps members a good deal..

It gaves us some insight on what to look for and tools used..

I like the wiper arm puller idea.. that was helpful. :headbang:

Arthur

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456