Cheap Crossover Elimination

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who want a cheap(er) replacement to a Corsa, Mopar, etc. The '08 tips fit on stock 3rd gen mufflers with no fitment problems.

And my personal observation is that it's in the middle in loudness vs stock and Corsa, as expected. But the best win for me is that it has much more of a bassy sound than the Corsa. Stock sounds good, but even at WOT it doesn't "scream" and with the '08 tips, it does. So those who want the crossover deleted but don't want the loudness of the Corsa, it's another option.

The main reason that I even changed the exhaust was to cool down the interior and side sills, so it's perfect for me. :drive:

OP
OP
B

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll get one when I get home. But the beautiful thing about keeping the stock system is that it's actually a little lighter than the Corsa, and it doesn't expand like the Corsa either.

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question-What if you have the old style corsa that still has the crossover pipes.Can i still use the 08 tips and remove the crossover pipes?Exactly what kind of process is it to remove the crossover and install the tips.Can i do it myself?:dunno:
Thanks.

OP
OP
B

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question-What if you have the old style corsa that still has the crossover pipes.Can i still use the 08 tips and remove the crossover pipes?Exactly what kind of process is it to remove the crossover and install the tips.Can i do it myself?:dunno:
Thanks.

Don't know what the old Corsa looks like, but if you have a picture of it, post it and I can look at it.

Basically on the stock exhaust, you take off the side sill, then remove the clamp that is on the end of the stock muffler that goes into the crossover. Do that on each side, then remove the crossover. Then bolt up the stock '08 tips right on the muffler. It's a pretty easy job, but I can't stress it enough to get the tips lined up perfectly and make sure that they're not recessed inside of the side sill.

This picture is marked of the stock crossover, and the red part is where you take them apart.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/badazzv8/05 SC SRT10/MarkedPassengerCrossover.jpg

This is all of the stock components. 3 pieces that you get rid of marked in red, and where you place the stock '08 tips is marked in blue.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/badazzv8/05 SC SRT10/MarkedStockExhaustRemoved.jpg

You don't have to take the exhaust off, I just replaced the stock exhaust with the Corsa, then put the stock system back on with '08 tips. So that's why the stock system was off the car.

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know what the old Corsa looks like, but if you have a picture of it, post it and I can look at it.

Basically on the stock exhaust, you take off the side sill, then remove the clamp that is on the end of the stock muffler that goes into the crossover. Do that on each side, then remove the crossover. Then bolt up the stock '08 tips right on the muffler. It's a pretty easy job, but I can't stress it enough to get the tips lined up perfectly and make sure that they're not recessed inside of the side sill.

This picture is marked of the stock crossover, and the red part is where you take them apart.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/badazzv8/05 SC SRT10/MarkedPassengerCrossover.jpg

This is all of the stock components. 3 pieces that you get rid of marked in red, and where you place the stock '08 tips is marked in blue.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/badazzv8/05 SC SRT10/MarkedStockExhaustRemoved.jpg

You don't have to take the exhaust off, I just replaced the stock exhaust with the Corsa, then put the stock system back on with '08 tips. So that's why the stock system was off the car.

:omg:Wow this is going to be alot easier than i thought.Thanks for the detailed pics:2tu:very helpful.

OP
OP
B

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do you get the '08 tips, at the Dodge dealer? do you know the part# and price?

Not sure, but Mark Jorgensen at Woodhouse should be able to help you out with that information.

And the weight reduction, I guess , is just gravy

Yep, lighter than stock, and lighter than the Corsa. Every little bit helps, right? :D

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those who want a cheap(er) replacement to a Corsa, Mopar, etc. The '08 tips fit on stock 3rd gen mufflers with no fitment problems.

:drive:

Yesterday I was just thinking- another HOT summer in the Viper!

What is the purpose of the crossover anyway?
And, can you tell the diff in the cabin heat? That is what matters to me....

OP
OP
B

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I was just thinking- another HOT summer in the Viper!

What is the purpose of the crossover anyway?
And, can you tell the diff in the cabin heat? That is what matters to me....

The purpose, so I've heard, was to help with noise levels to pass some stupid government crap. Don't know if that's in fact the reason, but it sounds about right.

And you can notice the difference in heat, although you're always going to have heat in the footwell from the firewall and cat. But this gets rid of the heat that radiates through the seat area.

OP
OP
B

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Mark Jorgensen at 402-426-4127

He will be able to help you all with any of these questions. He's a great guy to work with.

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, $523.80 for both sides. Hmmm. Me thinks I'll buy the stainless Mopar Performance exhaust system DCC-4510608 for $618.39 at Summit.

Thanks for the info though.

OP
OP
B

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, $523 - $104 (discount) = $419. But I'm sure you could get some used ones off of someone with an '08.

Why is the right one $100 more than the left????????

I agree that is a lot just for tips, but this option is for people that just want the benefits of the crossover elimination without the loudness that comes with the Corsa, Mopar, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang