Check engine light code 0455 HELP!!

Valhalla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My OBD II says it is an "Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)"

Can someone translate this to English ? :) O2 sensor maybe?

The light came on after I put a new battery in a couple of hundred miles ago. Also, the OBD reader did not clear the code as it said it would. It is the harbor freight tools Creader model.

Any information is appreciated.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Wesley,
There is a vacum pump on the Viper that pulls a vacum on the fuel system [tank, vent lines] to check that the vechile wont leak fuel fumes into the atmosphere. The most common fault is a loose gas cap. Check the cap and turn it till it clicks at you. This system is always checking it self and if that was the problem? The light will go back out. Hope that helps?

Wesley is my middle Name! :cool:

OP
OP
V

Valhalla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year car? Did you let the code reader flash 5 times?

1998 RT

I let it flash at least 5 times, although the manual said 4. Thanks!

OP
OP
V

Valhalla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Wesley,
There is a vacum pump on the Viper that pulls a vacum on the fuel system [tank, vent lines] to check that the vechile wont leak fuel fumes into the atmosphere. The most common fault is a loose gas cap. Check the cap and turn it till it clicks at you. This system is always checking it self and if that was the problem? The light will go back out. Hope that helps?

Wesley is my middle Name! :cool:

then I wil expect a family discount from you :) Thanks, I will check the cap again.

OP
OP
V

Valhalla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Light still on. I think I will just buy a new cap to see, although the old one looked good and went on tight. Didn't see them on Partsrack website. Where a good place to get one? Thanks!

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if this was the same code I received but I had Evap emmissions codes also years ago covered under warranty. Ended up being the pump which can only be replaced by removing the front fascia on 98's. Later years I guess this thing was moved to a better location. Also there is an Emmissions control system diagram sticker on the flat part of the engine bay just in front of the drivers window. Look at the print and check all the line hoses connected. Another problem I was getting is the line from the valve cover would fill up with oil and sieze up the vacuum pump. The later year cars they changed this routing of the line to vent to the master cylinder area I believe.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I say vacum? I must have to much vacum on the brain! :confused:
The EVAP pump puts pressure on the system!

Theory of operation:
The first portion of the test determines whether or not a line is pinched in the system. If the pump rate falls to zero too rapidly, the PCM determines that there is not enough space to pressurize, this indicates a possible pinched line. If there is a leak present in the EVAP system, the cycle rate falls to a rate proportional to the size of the leak. By monitonring the cycle rate of the pump, the PCM is able to calculate the size of the leak.

Possible cause:
>A leak in the evaporative system larger than .080"
>Leak detection pump failure

The light for that code will not go out right away, it may take a week of normal driving [or three days of hard Viper driving]. Before you go and buy a gas cap, drive it some more and see what happens. The code is not hurting anything and you should not notice any driveability issues. Yes your pump is under the front fascia! I think 99 or 00 they moved it to the right rear, opposite side from the battery.
Gas Cap #4848132 MSRP $17.50 [in stock, less 20% VCA]
EVAP Pump 96-03 #4891423AB MSRP $110.00 [less 20% VCA]

then I wil expect a family discount from you :) Thanks, I will check the cap again.

Your already in the family with a Viper! :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96