Check engine light

repiv1

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I was pulling into my driveway today and before I could pull in with the car idling it made a small backfire and then died. started right back up but again at idle it backfired and died. Does anyone have a clue as to what I should be looking for? 2000 RT/10 53,000 miles.

Rory :curse:
510-569-2611

V

Venomiss

What he said. ;)
If you don't find the codes that come up in a search here you can call a real live Viper Tech and find out.

Tator's Dodge 20 Spring Street South in South Salem, NY 10590
Phone 914-763-3136 Fax 914-763-9507

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What I usually do, if I'm not home and need a OBD reader, I go to the local auto parts store... use it, then return it saying it didn't work for my car.

Why pay for one twice? lol.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was pulling into my driveway today and before I could pull in with the car idling it made a small backfire and then died. started right back up but again at idle it backfired and died. Does anyone have a clue as to what I should be looking for? 2000 RT/10 53,000 miles. 510-569-2611

A cheap code reader can be your freind, or take the car to an AutoZone type biz FREE.
Could be a MAP sensor
Could be an idle speed motor.....turn the A/C on and see if it will idle that way?
If you have an OLD battery, it could actually be THAT, now that cooler wx is in !

NorCal VCA has 2 techs in your area.......(oops...not a VCA member?)
SoCal VCA has 2 techs in your time zone..The fone given for Tator is in NY....
DCPerf is in your zone at 310 841 6996

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What I usually do, if I'm not home and need a OBD reader, I go to the local auto parts store... use it, then return it saying it didn't work for my car. Why pay for one twice? lol...

Wow...that sure is er, um........clever ?..... Do you know that MANY parts stores will LOAN you a reader, or check it for free? Just to avoid your type of scam? Now you know why most vendors dont allow returns on electrical components.......

{some people SHOULD keep their profiles anonymous!}

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Not SURE what is best...just that when I have been in a pinch, I can usually find a Sears or AutoZone that carries these models...have ended up with a couple of types...including freeze frame capibility.

I keep these in my daily driver...read a code or two per week while attending the daily coffee meetings with car guys/racers/pilots in my small town...and, they are easier to tote around that a BRB III ! :)

I don't PM because I can never remember to check it !! My e-mail IS in my info, however.

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy an Actron CP9180 code scanner for 180 bucks off of Ebay or Amazon. Scans, erases, graphs and monitors parameters in real time. You'll use it again...and again...and again..............especially if friends and family finds out you have one.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy an Actron CP9180 code scanner for 180 bucks off of Ebay or Amazon. Scans, erases, graphs and monitors parameters in real time. You'll use it again...and again...and again..............especially if friends and family finds out you have one.

Amazon for like $140. Went to Actron's web site and the 9180 is like a low end model. Does it do what the average Joe needs, or would spending more just dazzle you with features you really have no use for?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper