Check Engine Light

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoping for some advice here. Changed out my 01 RT stock exhaust with Edlebrock headers, Corsa exhaust with highflow cats. After getting it home the check engine light came on so we replaced the O2 sensors and put on two other parts (not sure what they were) to compensate. Reset the light but after 30-40 miles more it's back on again. I've been told I need the performance PCM that ROE sells to correct the problem but I need to get emissions test soon. If we reset the light, how many miles do I need to drive before I'd get a passing test? Thanks for the advice.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hoping for some advice here. Changed out my 01 RT stock exhaust with Edlebrock headers, Corsa exhaust with highflow cats. After getting it home the check engine light came on so we replaced the O2 sensors and put on two other parts (not sure what they were) to compensate. Reset the light but after 30-40 miles more it's back on again. I've been told I need the performance PCM that ROE sells to correct the problem but I need to get emissions test soon. If we reset the light, how many miles do I need to drive before I'd get a passing test? Thanks for the advice.

My guess would be 30-40

What does your vendor say? Miles on car? Your oxy sensors obviously were NOT the problem Find out what other two parts you installed that did not work?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caution: a reset will also zero the adaptives and the state inspection will see that (just as they see the codes) and fail you. So you really want to ask how far is far enough to let the PCM relearn and then how far is too far before the code light comes on again.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where in GA are you? I could lend you a 98 PCM, it should keep it from throwing the codes. Only way for the creampuff cars to run like that is to get O2 simms or an earlier model PCM(96-98). PM me if you want to try it.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where in GA are you? I could lend you a 98 PCM, it should keep it from throwing the codes. Only way for the creampuff cars to run like that is to get O2 simms or an earlier model PCM(96-98). PM me if you want to try it.

:confused: See my mods in my signature. I had to install the quick fire sensors from DC performance to get rid of the heater circuit O2 codes when I installed the Belangers. No 96-98 PCM here.

OP
OP
R

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll have to get more info on what codes, but I think the othe parts I was referring to are the O2 simms. But I guess that was my question...how many miles to get the PCM to relearn and get it tested before throwing codes again. If I have to break down and get a performance PCM I'll do it but...

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll have to get more info on what codes, but I think the othe parts I was referring to are the O2 simms. But I guess that was my question...how many miles to get the PCM to relearn and get it tested before throwing codes again. If I have to break down and get a performance PCM I'll do it but...

You answered your own question in your first post. It looks like you will need to drive 30 - 40 miles to be sure the code doesn't come back, and the check engine light comes on.

A couple weeks ago I had to get my 2001 Durango inspected. I had ignored the check engine light because the vehicle seemed to be running fine and the gas mileage was no worse. But with the inspection coming up I had to deal with it. My problem was "large leak" in the evaporative emissions circuit. I bought a gas cap from Target because that was the most likely cause, according to the internet. I disconnected the battery lead to get the light off and the next day I drove to the shop for the inspection. They told me it failed the emissions part of the inspection because the computer said it wasn't done doing some test process. I think they said that it is a certain number of ignition start/stop cycles rather than a set number of miles. Anyway, I went home, found the real cause was a split hose underneath the car, unplugged the battery again, and waited a week before trying to get it inspected again.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On 96 and newer vehicles, they use an OBD system and any time you disconnect the battery, the computer must "relearn" it's parameters. I own an emission station in GA and have seen some take as much as two weeks or as little as 5 miles. Problem here is if you return to the emission station that failed you for "system not ready", this will use your free retest, and it'll cost you another 25 dollars. Best thing if you don't know anyone in the business is to go to an Autozone after a few days and have them pull codes, or have someone with a scanner help you. If the system is ready---get yer emissions done. John