Check engine light

Viper Blade

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2000 GTS I idled the car in my driveway to operating temperature to do a proper coolant check. Before doing this I had removed my airfilters and forward box to clean and oil them. I let the car idle without the filters or forward box in place until it was at normal temp. I then checked my coolant and installed my filters and assembled the box. I have a check engine light on. Did that occur because of having the box open when running? I did not unplug the air temp sensor in the filter box.

I tried to perform the on off on off on trick to see the codes and it didn't work. I guess I will go see if O Riellys can check the code but I'm curious if it was just the airbox being open.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you disconnect the IAT (intake air temperature sensor) when you removed the airbox? That will cause a CEL to be thrown and I believe the code description is something like "IAT voltage too high". It should clear after a few starts or you can clear it with a code reader.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rather than have the auto parts store check it for you, check it yourself. Invest in a decent code reader, it will come with a book to explain all the codes and give you the ability to correct the problem and clear the code yourself.

OP
OP
V

Viper Blade

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't want to invest in a code reader today as I thought the prices for them were pretty steep. My wife manages the funds and the economy has kicked the crap out of her home business so I was a little aprehensive to do so. I purchased an entry level one, not too expensive, because I had to. Otherwise its shop only. I found out from two auto parts stores that California has made it illegal to rent a code reader or read them at the store. I can buy one (for now) and do it myself. I got two different reasons for the law change but it comes down to holding the store liable when non mechanics do not repair the failure correctly. The state can hold the auto parts store liable for allowing individuals to erase the code without proper repair. I'm not sure how the state would even know that someone was even working on, or unable to repair a car, unless someone turned them in. Erasing the code wouldn't matter as it would come back anyway. It's probably got more to do with allowing us citizens to have access to anything to do with emissions testing and registration.

Haven't read the code yet. And yes in my original post I stated I did not disconnect the air temp sensor. I ran the car in my driveway to warm up the coolant without the entire air box in place. Just the piece that holds the filters but with no filters.

I'll read it later today, too hot out side.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ Jeez Blade, you got us all worked up over a gas cap?? (another reason to love old cars.. and hate cali.).

(;-J

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4