Check out this torque wrench!

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or at least the 3rd picture in photos, I was like "hey that's my intake" lol. Seriously though, the reviews are great on these, are they worth even looking at? I'm getting a torque wrench since there are so many bolts that need retorquing on the Viper so often and I was going after an expensive one but when I came across this picture on this one I just had to share :)

Torque Wrench, ½â€, Drive Click Stop – Harbor Freight: Discount Tools Since 1968

Attachments

• image_4373.jpg
    image_4373.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what hes doing in that picture. That wrench is to large for anything in the intake area. Also do you really want to use a $25 torque wrench on your $50,000.00 car? But then I have 7 torque wrenches in my tool box that go from 20in/lbs to 600 ft/lbs.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is fine at the top of the range i.e., for lug nuts (i have one), but below about 50ft/lbs get a better one

also doubles as a breaker bar below it's max

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure what hes doing in that picture. That wrench is to large for anything in the intake area. Also do you really want to use a $25 torque wrench on your $50,000.00 car? But then I have 7 torque wrenches in my tool box that go from 20in/lbs to 600 ft/lbs.

Certainly not, I just thought it was interesting that the intake he was working on was a Viper, :rolaugh: I'll be getting a much nicer one, thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..... :rolaugh: I'll be getting a much nicer one, thanks for the advice!

:confused:

well then, i really don't have one either :smirk:

hey it was only $12 and someone just stole my good one and i really only use it for 95 ft/lbs which i can guesstimate pretty closely anyway

:lmao:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't. I have two Craftsman torque wrenches. My only complaint is I wish somebody would make a quality torque wrench with a display large enough to read without glasses.

Black Mamba 47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out any of the Snap-on Tech series digital torque wrenches.
TECH2FR100 5-100 ft Lbs also reads in in lbs and newton meters, 3/8" drive
TECH3FR250 25-250 ft Lbs also reads in in lbs and newton meters 1/2" drive
These are a 1% accuracy wrench.
And yes I have been with Snap-on for 30 years

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am reminded of the torque wrench we used to torque the nut that holds the rotor system on a Huey. It's this massive gear reduction drive system with a hand crank. You'd lock it on to the rotor head and crank that handle about 50 times and get maybe 5 degrees of rotation on the nut. That was some serious torque on that thing. You had to let it sit for a couple of minutes and let the threads settle and re-crank until the torque quit dropping on the gauge. It probably cost as much as a Viper too, but I'm sure it was better quality than HF! LOL

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a Craftsman guy and have been for 2 decades.
For grins, I picked up a full set of the HF torque wrenches (cost me less than a tank of gas), and took them to JEGS who offers free testing on the digital torque meters at their stores.
I tested the HF versus my Craftsman ones.
ALL wrenches were within 1%.

I know.
Scary.

I do use the HF ones now and then; when I know it's going to get bonked or kicked across the floor. No worries. I just toss it in the drawer when done.
The Craftsman ones.......I treat much, MUCH kinder. :D

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KcObean, by the title of this thread, I thought that would be the torque wrench in the subject. I remember torquing the rotor nut too, but we needed about 6 guys standing on top of the cabin to do it. Forgot the amount of torque required, but it was substantial.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KcObean, by the title of this thread, I thought that would be the torque wrench in the subject. I remember torquing the rotor nut too, but we needed about 6 guys standing on top of the cabin to do it. Forgot the amount of torque required, but it was substantial.

I seem to recall 300 Ft-lbs, but I could be wrong, it's been a few years.

I spent about 30 minutes looking for a picture of that tool...it's capability is massive considering that one guy can operate it with one hand sitting down.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I have over $1000.00 invested in my torque wrenches in both lb/ft and in/lb variants. All snap-on and all digital except my inch pounder which I use for transmission overhauls.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a lot of research on torque wrenches before I bought mine. I ended up buying the Harbor frieght one and it has never given me any issues. The harbor frieght one was in some cases more accurate than snap-on. It's not a bad deal at 20 bucks...

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out any of the Snap-on Tech series digital torque wrenches.
TECH2FR100 5-100 ft Lbs also reads in in lbs and newton meters, 3/8" drive
TECH3FR250 25-250 ft Lbs also reads in in lbs and newton meters 1/2" drive
These are a 1% accuracy wrench.
And yes I have been with Snap-on for 30 years

I believe if those are the correct model numbers that they will even calculate "stretch"

Black Mamba 47 do you offer to us compadres the Snake Pit discounts on the Snap-on? You have the 2 roll-aways on deep discount currently, any thing better for the X-MAS?

Toddy

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe if those are the correct model numbers that they will even calculate "stretch"

Black Mamba 47 do you offer to us compadres the Snake Pit discounts on the Snap-on? You have the 2 roll-aways on deep discount currently, any thing better for the X-MAS?

Toddy

:eater:

:eater:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just compared this one to a $349 Snap-on, both state that they are accurate to within + or - 4%. I think for lug nuts and things like that the HF will do just fine

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have all 3 sizes of the HF Clicker versions as well. I periodically check their accuracy with my old school (non clicker) Craftsmans.