Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Chemists, Engineers, Dentists, and Flunkies like me look in here pleas

True all 3 are good points.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm just saying that he should expect the worst, and plan for it in advance. CHANGE THAT PULLEY!! hehehehe

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony, If he uses it you probably won't be able to tell. Small bottles are easy to hide. Fortunately it would only make a difference in 1 gear at most.If he is an all out cheater big bottles have been found in very unsafe places,
mostly gas tanks or inside dashes.

You are a good driver,hole-shot him and make him panic. I once beat a guy so bad on a hole-shot when we turned around
he accused me of using spray even though he checked my bottle. I gave him 5 car lengths for a re-race with nos,beat him by 5 and took his and his friends money again.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

and keep in mind Tony car drive his a$$ off.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wouldent want to race Tony even if my car was faster lol

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony, If he uses it you probably won't be able to tell. Small bottles are easy to hide. Fortunately it would only make a difference in 1 gear at most.If he is an all out cheater big bottles have been found in very unsafe places,
mostly gas tanks or inside dashes.

You are a good driver,hole-shot him and make him panic. I once beat a guy so bad on a hole-shot when we turned around
he accused me of using spray even though he checked my bottle. I gave him 5 car lengths for a re-race with nos,beat him by 5 and took his and his friends money again.

what exactly is a hole shot??

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A hole shot is spraying off the line (out of the hole).

Ray W: A 2 or 3 pound bottle would be MORE than enough to cover the whole race and be very easy to conceal.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Gerald Levin,
Are you sure the system you talked about would make nitrous oxide out of nitrogen and oxygen?
Joe, Been a dentist for over 25 years and familiar with the 2 systems that are in use. One system is a portable setup (portable cart) with 2 small tanks: blue(nitrogen) and green (oxygen). Rather expensive to use as the bottles are very small but system is portable. The other system is where the tanks are full size and are stored in a storage room (same colors) and more cost effective but the system is not portable, its plumbed into each operatory. Not aware of any one bottle, nitrous oxide, setup used by dentists. I haven't used the nitrous in a few years since going exclusively to Triazolam and Versed. If you want to know more, check me out at my website:
http://www.sleepdental.net

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stugots, A hole-shot is a hard launch at the start.Cars that are set-up properly with sticky tires and mostly automatics do it best on the street. This can ***** the other driver into doing something stupid if he thinks your car is that quick. Such as break traction early instead of feeding the power in slowly.

Anaconda,you may be right but it depends on the motor,loss of bottle pressure and usable amount of nos in the bottle.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ummm....

Air is 21% oxygen and the rest mostly nitrogen and it doesn't spontaneously turn to N20. Would be fun if it did.

The MIL-STD-101B DoD Color Code for Pipelines and Compressed Gas Cylinders shows that blue is nitrous oxide. Nitrogen is gray. Oxygen is green.
http://www.c-f-c.com/gaslink/milspec/mil101.htm

There isn't one bottle because because it looks to always be paired N2O-O2.
http://www.accutron-inc.com/scripts/aboutN2O_portable.asp

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RayW: Automatics usually use a high RPM torque converter when doing holeshots. I had a 3000 stall B&M "Holeshot" torque converter in one of my Mustangs, designed for hard launching.

hahaha well, you can always up the jet size to fix low bottle pressure problems. hehe

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom I was thinking the same thing. My memory was nitrogen is gray with 1 or 2 black stripes to indicate if it is water pumped or oil pumped. geez memories from 30 years ago in the good ole military!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ron,

Formatting will be messed up, but you're right:

Title Top "A" Band "B" Band "C" Body
Nitrogen, Oil-Free Gray Black Black Gray
Nitrogen, Oil-Tolerant Gray Black Gray Gray

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's not as simple as disconnecting a bottle. This would be a hidden system and both cars would be open to inspection, but if somebody really wants to it can be hidden so good that it would take a lot to find it. If it's throttle activated there would be no buttons or surges....

In Vipers, specially Gen I's.... the place folks like to hide bottles is in the doors. Not the smartest place in case on an accident, but a place that it is hard to find. Most would be surprized how many magazine cars have Nitrous well hidden in them...... I've seen people even go so far as to hide them in frame tubing, and all nitrous lines built into the inside of the intake. 100% stealth. When you racing for pink slips, guess it is like an ace up your sleeve :)

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I did have an accutron system similar to this in my office:
http://www.accutron-inc.com/scripts/details.asp?product=manifold&OrderNo=48000&FlowMeterSystem=&DescShort=Nitrogen+Manifold+System+%97+2+tank+configuration
Here's a brief description:
Product Name Nitrogen Manifold System — 2 tank configuration
Description Includes: Nitrogen manifold, 2 nitrogen regulators, 2 nitrogen DISS hose assemblies & 2-cylinder tank restraints
Ordered from the same company for over 20 years, worked very well and never had any emergencies.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could the nitrogen have been for the **** surgery handpieces and not for the patient? The product description does not show a N2O generator. Textbook chemistry shows N2O made from thermal decompostion of ammonium nitrate.

Larry94

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I suspect the addition of oxygen has nothing to do with generating N20 and in fact is to produce a N20 and oxygen mix. Nitrous oxide used for analgesia is not given at 100%. It needs to be mixed with oxygen ( for obvious reasons ) usually at a 50% mixture. The system you are describing just takes out the human factor in preventing unsafe mixtures or accidentally giving 100% nitrous oxide which could be lethal.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My question is whether the use of nitrogen has anything to do with generating N2O.

N2 + O2 =/= N2O

NH4NO3 => N2O + 2 H2O

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Greald,
I don't see how a tank of nitrogen and a tank of oxygen can give you nitrous oxide.

That link doesn't show any nitrous output without a nitrous input.

vigilantty

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anesthesia machines have a chain fail safe system linking both O2 and Nitrous. This system prevents a hypoxic mixture of gas being delivered to the patient. Nitrogen is used with nitrous to decrease inspiried concentation level of nitrous , and thus preventing a hypoxic mixtue of gases.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just checked my records and its been nine years since I switched from inhalation sedation to **** (chemical) sedation. Yes, I did use nitrogen for my surgical handpieces (not any more). I believe the tank was gray. And the nitrous setup was a blue nitrous (not nitrogen) tank and a green oxygen tank. All that nitrous exposure probably contributed to my memory lapse.

Never intended to shoplift this thread. So getting back to Tony's dilemma, wouldn't nitrous increase your power by up to 300HP? I'm assuming nitrous kicks in at a certain rpm or mph? Then as someone said above, wouldn't a friend of Tony's riding with the "competition" feel the huge increase of power when the nitrous kicked in?

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gerald: It doesn't kick in at a certain RPM or MPH usually. It generally is activated by a switch, or by detecting WOT (wide open throttle). It is....easy....to hide a WOT switch, which would make the whole system "invisible".

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

But wouldn't the sudden explosion of power be evident to a passenger?

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score

But wouldn't the sudden explosion of power be evident to a passenger?

Like I said before, it depends on the size of the shot. Would you notice a 500 shot? Absolutely. Would notice a 50 shot? Probably not...

You have to remember that if it is hooked up via a WOT switch, that the car is going to be getting a tremendous increase in power already. For a passenger to discern what is a "normal" acceleration, and a normal+nitrous acceleration is a judgement call.