Choices for 50-100 HP upgrades

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed in previous posts but I tried a search and had no luck. I am interested in adding 50 to 100 HP to my 97 GTS. Existing mods on the car are RT Hi-flos, 3" Corsa catback and a K&N box. Any thoughts?

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great topic. For the newbies to these cars like me....Just curious -

What kind of HP are people getting out of the cam and header upgrades?
What are people buying and installing? What are some preferred choices?
What is the price or price range for these upgrades?
Who does good work?
Any reliability issues?
What are people's experience who did this upgrade - was it worth the money?

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just do stage 3 ported heads, that will get you 60rwhp.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
60rwhp is the type of number I'm looking for. A guess on the cost, mat'l and labor, for this type of improvement? Any other add-ons needed?

looking at $4700 for the heads. Im not too sure about the labor. You will also get more power with headers to.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
looking at $4700 for the heads. Im not too sure about the labor. You will also get more power with headers to.

You may want to talk to Greg Good about the work he does on Gen 2 heads. 4700 seems like a lot of coin compaired to his prices..

D

DAMN YANKEE

Stop, engage brain..

50hp isnt worth the $$$$
100hp gets you COMMITTED. Going to get committed....get planning!

Save your cash, plan your build, start out properly and you wont be throwing out stuff a year from now.
Wnat to feel an improvement? Well, you can throw out headers...you'll hear it (ugghhh) but you wont see it or feel.

1. You WILL NEED roller rockers, and you will feel them too.
2. You WILL feel heads, but you have bought your ticket on one ride going in one direction. Its a great direction, but is it where you wanted to go?

Are you one of these guys that is going to Supercharge/Turbo your engine down the road? If so, STOP!
and plan it all out with yourself or the guy(s) that are going to do the work.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers and 1.7 Rockers would be a good place to start. Reliable and easy to do.

Very Strongly 2nd that.

Start with the bolt ons, and then make more power.

On bolt ons alone, I make 478rwhp and 510rwtq, and ran 11.50's at 125mph

Headers, High Flow Cats, Cat Back, T&D roller rockers, K&N and Smooth Tubes, mopar PCM, alumn flywheel, 708 cam, and even get/find a set of smaller pulleys (if your going to stay NA).

Also get a B&M Ripper shifter, for quicker and more percise shifts.

Ok, my work here is done.

Jon

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like what damn yankee said.

and id definitely call greg good before spending that kinda cash on head work.....

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stop, engage brain..

50hp isnt worth the $$$$
100hp gets you COMMITTED. Going to get committed....get planning!

Save your cash, plan your build, start out properly and you wont be throwing out stuff a year from now.
Wnat to feel an improvement? Well, you can throw out headers...you'll hear it (ugghhh) but you wont see it or feel.

1. You WILL NEED roller rockers, and you will feel them too.
2. You WILL feel heads, but you have bought your ticket on one ride going in one direction. Its a great direction, but is it where you wanted to go?

Are you one of these guys that is going to Supercharge/Turbo your engine down the road? If so, STOP!
and plan it all out with yourself or the guy(s) that are going to do the work.

What he said :drive:

There are a few basic mods you can do to get you rolling, not have to redo once you go FI or Heads and have you spinning the dyno at near 450-460 wheel horsepower.

1). B&M, Hurst or SVS Shifter (great upgrade to the stock shifter)
2). Smooth Tubes and K&N Filters
3). 3" Exhaust, Corsa and Random Tech seem to be the two most popular right now
4). 3" High Flow Cats
5). 1.7 Roller Rockers...Harland Sharp seem to be the most cost effective of your selections

At that point you are going to be looking at heads/supercharger/turbo. All with their own benefits and all costing significantly more than typical bolt on power. .

OP
OP
N

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said :drive:

There are a few basic mods you can do to get you rolling, not have to redo once you go FI or Heads and have you spinning the dyno at near 450-460 wheel horsepower.

1). B&M, Hurst or SVS Shifter (great upgrade to the stock shifter)
2). Smooth Tubes and K&N Filters
3). 3" Exhaust, Corsa and Random Tech seem to be the two most popular right now
4). 3" High Flow Cats
5). 1.7 Roller Rockers...Harland Sharp seem to be the most cost effective of your selections

At that point you are going to be looking at heads/supercharger/turbo. All with their own benefits and all costing significantly more than typical bolt on power. .

Thanks for all the input. I am pursuing the 1.7 Roller Rockers. Only held off on the headers when putting on the Corsa and RT Hi-flo's because of noise issues. If I hear a Viper this summer with that setup and like it, I will definitely go with the headers as well.