Chuck I hope and PRAY you are not affected...

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
by the closing of 800 dealerships? :omg::dunno::usa:

Kevin.

p.s. I will be getting my VCA membership active again by June 1 in case you were wondering.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everybody on the board and anybody that has done business with Chuck is hoping and praying that Tator's Dodge is recognized as one of the most valuable assets they have. Historically speaking, I think it is the oldest dealership int he country. :2tu:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This time, I think a petition will not cut it. Perhaps the prior petition still holds good and Chrysler has saved Tator from the axe. Good luck Chuck.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Never understood why this was such a Big Deal to some of you.

Why does it matter?
Why does Chuck Have to be a "Dodge Dealership"?

Would it Really be that bad if he kept his Property&Land and continued with his Shop minus selling cars(that was a very small % of his overall business)

He would Still work on our precious Vipers
He would still make money
He would still have BBQ's and Viper get-togethers
He would still...

Someone please explain if i am missing something.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i must be overlooking something if i am the only one bringing this up:dunno:

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Never understood why this was such a Big Deal to some of you.

Why does it matter?
Why does Chuck Have to be a "Dodge Dealership"?

Would it realy be that bad if he kept his Property&Land and continued with his Shop minus selling cars(that was a very small % of his overall business)

Someone please explain if i am missing something.

You are missing warranty work (assuming we have warranties) Parts etc etc

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He can still get parts just like i can get parts.

What % of Vipers on the Road are still under warranty from dodge? Lets See there is like 18Thousand Gen1/2 Vipers that are definatly not under warranty.
I assume the majority of his work is Non-warranty stuff. Much of our work to him is Parts, Upgrades, and Maintinance.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im guessing he does a lot of warranty work. he sells a ton of parts (at a discount which he wont be able to now) and sells a handful of cars which he wont be able to do now.

id hope, the mfg would work a deal with him for parts and warranty work.

and i agree, for the most part, i dont think chuck needs them but i dont know the facts

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck does warranty work on other Dodge vehicles besides Vipers.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"About 85 percent of our business is service and parts." -Tator

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"About 85 percent of our business is service and parts." -Tator

...which doesn't tell you how much of it is warranty-covered service, nor does it tell you anything about the parts business, namely, whether he could operate in another fashion and still be an authorized parts operation with the same prices.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOT good news.....

HOWEVER, I have been self-employed my whole life, and know 2 things for sure..

1. The glass is ALWAYS half full..
2. You can not keep a GOOD man down.!!!

That said, Think about it for a second....Chuck does not have a lot full of inventory, and does not survive from sales.. What, maybe 10 units there currently?

That said, all this means is that he needs to go out and change the sign on the lawn, to "Tators Automotive" and life will go on as usual... No big brand new building to deal with, no 50-100 person staff to lay-off, No 500 unit floor plan, etc,etc. He is positioned better than anyone on that list, to take this hit.. Overhead is about as low as you can go in that class of business, AND the best part: he has customers willing to travel HUNDREDS of miles to get their car serviced by him, and only him... Think about that.. Know of any other "Independant Techs" that have that client base? I sure don't..

The BIG questions are:.... How much work/revenue does he do, under the Dodge 3/36 bumper/bumper warranty plan?? And is this redeemable as an independent ???

As far as "extended warranty/service contract work, and obviously cash work" go. It will be business as usual for Tators Dodge I'm sure.... Service contracts IS an insurance company and they WILL redeem him as an independent.. He is in the best place possible.. Better than ANYONE on that list.. Given the situation..

Good luck Chuck, let me know if there is anything you need..

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator's is on the list :( What you guys think we need to do?

I'm not sure our voices will be heard this time around.:( Dodge is (I'm sure) strongly anticipating action from every single one of the dealers on that list..

There will DEFINITELY be class action suit from all these dealers. Almost guaranteed.

I am watching CNBC now.. They closed a dealer in Long Island that is PROFITABLE on the sales side, and has been there 30 years with a 98% customer satisfaction rate.. Up $300k for the first qrtr. ON SALES....

If they can close him, they can close anyone...

What a sad day...

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The decision is probably not in Dodge's hands, but the bankruptcy rulings. You're going against the LAW this time.

But I have to agree with Dom426h - it might not be the same for ol' Chuck, but I still think he's going to do just fine.

Jeff

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TAXI, Finally someone who "gets" it. and isnt all pessimistic

Chuck Will succeed, its not the end of the world. Mark my word!!!