Chuck I hope and PRAY you are not affected...

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck may succeed. As has been pointed out he gets parts at dealer prices NOT the prices you and I pay--big difference.

Also he likely sells as many or more extended Viper warranties (which he will lose as well) as anyone in the country and contrary to what some believe, there are LOTS of vipers on the road with extended plans and a large block of his work is covered by Dodge . I have owned 5 Vipers since 95 and have never had one out of warranty-- most folks I have known over the years are the same.

I don't doubt that Chuck will survive somehhow , but to say "oh he will be ok" when he is losing all the rights and advantages of being an authorized dealer is a bit naive. (even if he does not sell many cars) Why do you think he (and we) moved heaven and earth, to save him last time?

I have done a lot of legal work having to do with loss of franchises. THIS IS A BIG DEAL FOR CHUCK AND OTHERS.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like some, its definitely sad. I am sure Chuck is not happy about it, but almost more important is the fact that an American Car institution is going. I love the history of American cars, and for anyone who has any appreciation for this stuff that building is awesome....almost haunted with history. The story behind the business, the old machines, the whole thing is awe inspiring. A lot of cars have been through those garage doors I am sure. You cant walk in there and not feel it in your gut.

Having said that, I do think Chuck is probably positioned well. My brother runs a shop not 75 miles from Chuck, he specializes in muscle car repairs and restorations. He has a waiting list for people to send their cars there almost 6 months long. You cant take a 6-Pack RoadRunner to your local garage. If your good at what you do (he is) you have a good reputation (he does) and a loyal fan base (he does) you have the underpinnings for a successful business.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Never understood why this was such a Big Deal to some of you.

Why does it matter?
Why does Chuck Have to be a "Dodge Dealership"?

Would it Really be that bad if he kept his Property&Land and continued with his Shop minus selling cars(that was a very small % of his overall business)

He would Still work on our precious Vipers
He would still make money
He would still have BBQ's and Viper get-togethers
He would still...

Someone please explain if i am missing something.

What everyone else, but mostly because its important to Chuck.

Hard Knox

Viper Owner
Reaction score
More "CHANGE YOU NEED"

53% of the voting public strikes again. If you sat on your butt and did not vote, SHUT UP! I voted, but not for "CHANGE". I'll change my name to 47%.

I would feel better if they shut down 800 pork barrel government offices and gave their budgets to these dealerships.

You think this is bad, we've still got over 2600 more days of "CHANGE". Look on the bright side, Cuba has been keeping 57 Chevys running during over 50 years of "CHANGE". Anything is possible!

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CRAZY!!! I thought maybe he would be safe since he is in a rural area. Maybe the new Viper buyer will do something to help since he is such a HUGE asset to the Viper community. I have an ACR ordered through Chuck as well...wonder what will happen with that?

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh no not again. Well we cannot give up. We must fight for him to remain a dealer. There has to be something we can do. The VCA has to be able to do something.

viper96rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a quote from the local newspaper.

At Tator's Dodge, owner Charles W. "Chuck" Tator said he expects to continue doing auto repair at his shop on Spring Street South, where his grandfather started the business in a former barn. It's a modest shop, with two mechanics and an office worker.

Tator got a letter from Chrysler delivered by United Parcel Service yesterday morning explaining the move. A call from a regional official followed a few hours later. Tator, who normally sells 40 to 50 cars a year, wasn't taken completely by surprise.

"They look at the numbers. They're not looking at customer relations, the way I was brought up," said Tator, 52.

Last year, Chrysler's owner, Cerberus Capital Management LP, tried to shut down his operation. Tator said the company canceled more than a dozen sales he had made, arguing that he lacked the working capital to function.

When news of the company's efforts reached the trade press, a letter-writing campaign on Tator's behalf was launched by owners of the Dodge Viper muscle car.

Tator specializes in Viper maintenance and repair, and he has earned a following both in the Lower Hudson Valley and overseas. Cerberus backed off.

This week, Tator has been hosting a friend from England, Barry Adams, an engineer with ****** Media and a member of a United Kingdom chapter of Viper owners.

Adams said club members consult via the Internet with Tator on mechanical issues affecting their cars, and two years ago Tator went to England to help one customer install a new engine.

Adams, 34, invited Tator to his wedding.

"It's hard to put in words what he's got," Adams said.

Yesterday, Tator had five Vipers in the bays of his garage, in various stages of repair. He doesn't have any cars on his lot for sale, having scaled back orders. Sales make up the minority of his revenue, however.

"If you make $500 on a $30,000 vehicle today, you're doing good," Tator said. "The money's actually in the repairs."

But he doesn't expect he will be able to do warranty work if the bankruptcy court voids his franchise. He said it was unclear yesterday how sharply the news would affect his repair business. Tator said he planned to put an argument together to present to bankruptcy court on or before the June 9 hearing date.

Lewisboro Supervisor Edward Brancati recalled buying his first vehicle - a Dodge Dakota pickup truck - from Tator's in 1992. The family operation earned the trust and loyalty of its customers, Brancati said.

"They have an extremely loyal, fiercely loyal, customer base," Brancati said. "I think that's attributable to the level of service and the way they treat people."

Guys lets keep him in the business. We can save Tator!!!!!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for re-printing the article here for us to read. Yes, Chuck has a VERY FAITHFUL following that encompasses if not 100's, then THOUSANDS of satisfied customers. They don't even have to have gone to Chuck's garage...he has helped many by phone. I, personally, am very glad that Barry is there this week with Chuck, as a loyal friend, for moral support (amidst the laughs too!). We'll see you both soon. ~mike & juli~

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*$&%*^($

Chuck is who I plan on getting some parts through.. Like today. Surely he can still get them?

Who can we write letters too? I hate to not try to at least do SOMETHING.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will be an untended consequence to all these closings. Now when you try to get your car serviced, the wait will be unbelievably longer and possibly might have to wait days instead of hours. Whoever is making these decisions, they might want to consider keeping open a majority of the dealerships as service/parts centers, Especially
TATOR'S DODGE!!!!

It will help alleviate the backlog and keep a portion of the service people off the unemployment rolls.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been buying all my OEM Viper parts from Chuck Tator... and always e-mail him for help... he is the greatest... Also have a Viper ordered from Tators... hope everything works out for him.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as "extended warranty/service contract work, and obviously cash work" go. It will be business as usual for Tators Dodge I'm sure.... Service contracts IS an insurance company and they WILL redeem him as an independent..

Seeing as most if not all Viper extended warranties were bought through Dodge, I wouldn't be surprised if they can only be covered at Dodge facilities (and have never heard of anyone going anywhere else but a Dodge facility for their extended warranty service), though obviously the agreement will dictate. Though as a practical matter, some components may only be obtainable through Dodge and therefore would require Dodge to service.

I have been buying all my OEM Viper parts from Chuck Tator...

I've ordered parts from him on several occasions as well, and will continue to do so hopefully.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry to break it to you:
GEORGE T TATOR & SONS INC DBA TATOR'S DODGE 53608 DT
20 SPRING STREET SOUTH
SOUTH SALEM, NY 10590​
CHARLES W TATOR

You had to know the name to look up. Chuck has already been quoted in an article previously posted.
~juli

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We, (VCA), should take out two full page ads in the newspaper, (via VCA donations), 1 in NYC, 1 in DC, an open letter to whomever wants to read it explaining how we feel about Tator’s Dodge, the history, fundamentals, customer service, trust, and how he runs a business, and how business can be run successfully with just a handshake or a good word on the phone. And that all these bean counters that determine what dealers should close and others to remain open, are the same ones that got us, and the U.S. economy, into this mess. No offence, but all the MBA’s that keep worrying about the bottom line and squeezing pennies here and there to meet and/or exceed that bottom line, was the beginning of the demise. They should know that you can run a business with a marginal profit and everything would be alright, all they did by penny pinching was just add feet on the CEO’s yacht or another “corporate” jet at the airport, or a bigger golden parachute, meanwhile, snuffing out mom & pop stores country wide. Things like consolidating, outsourcing, restructuring & downsizing, will infiltrate the infrastructure to the point where it will not be able to support the corporation and their bottom line, and then the dominos fall, that’s where we are now. Politicians stop taxing & spending, corporations stop outsourcing overseas, and MBA’s, explain that a $2.00 car part from China will not suffice, or will it be superior to a $3.00 car part made in the USA, all it will do is meet the bottom line and eventually shut down corporate America.
Just my American $0.02.
:usa:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to break it to you:
GEORGE T TATOR & SONS INC DBA TATOR'S DODGE 53608 DT
20 SPRING STREET SOUTH
SOUTH SALEM, NY 10590​
CHARLES W TATOR

You had to know the name to look up. Chuck has already been quoted in an article previously posted.
~juli

Crap, I was looking for Tator's Dodge not George T Tator & Sons. This ****ing blows!!!

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chucks phones have not stopped ringing and the press have been all over him like a rash.....

People driving past are even stopping to take pics..

Fingers crossed he can pull through this, He has alot off good friends here on the VCA and local loyal customers that go back before i was even born...

Tators is like a step back in time but at the same time works on all up to date model Dodges..

95 years has got to stand for something right??????????????

GOOD LUCK CHUCK!!!!!

Long live Tators Dodge....

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Historic value alone should matter. Service and reputation to boot. He is such an asset and this is just wrong.

Bad things happen when good people don't stand up - What can we do?
Let us know.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that Chuck would be wise to try and negotiate a contract where he is an authorized Chrysler repair and maintainence location. The likihood of him successfully battling to keep the dealership, based on what I understand the applicable law to be, is zero. And this is true regardless of whether or not we take out full page ads every day in the WSG and the NYT. This is a time for Chuck to conserve his resources and proceed with caution and wisdom. It is not a time to anger the powers that be.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He can still get parts just like i can get parts.

What % of Vipers on the Road are still under warranty from dodge? Lets See there is like 18Thousand Gen1/2 Vipers that are definatly not under warranty.
I assume the majority of his work is Non-warranty stuff. Much of our work to him is Parts, Upgrades, and Maintinance.
Yes, but you are buying them retail. I am not sure if you can buy parts wholesale without being a Chrysler dealer. If so, is the wholesale rate the same for dealers vs non-dealers?

Either way, this news ***** even though I was expecting it. It's time for me to hit the bottle and drown out my sorrows.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really cant believe that a company no matter how large it is will put all good aside just because of numbers. That would not even consider the history that is behind Tators Dodge. Everything in this world should not be based off of money but by good people that care about something beyond trying to make a large profit off of. People will continue to go to him because of his excellent service and kindness. He helps in the name of viperhood. He truly is one of a kind and deserves all of our help.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The company has little to do with the decision. The new Chrysler is not the old company. The decsion to close the dealerships was made in the bankruptcy proceeding which is being heavily guided by the government and the new "Car Zcar" and panel. The government provided the interim financing. Without that financing, there would not be any Chrysler at all. Chuck should use the history to try and get the contract I referred to above. With all the other dealerships closing, some of which employ hundreds of people, if Chuck pushes back too hard, he will be viewed as selfish and uncaring. He should stress that he recognizes the need of Chrysler to do this to survive and that he would like to be a part of the New Chrysler but in a differnt capacity. Perhaps he already said this. I did not see the news piece referred to above.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that this needs to be handled carefully. I really don't know Chuck other than being on the receiving end of some of his excellent customer service and advice.

Let's be careful not to wish Chuck into a bad situation. I worked for Motorola for many years. It was a company with a long history and we were very apprehensive when our plant was sold to a new owner. We thank God now that that happened, as Motorola has continued to shrink and dissolve.

Many people face this kind of thing with great fear and anger; but, sometimes it is a great catalyst for positive change in one's life, especially if you look at it that way.

Chuck seems to be in a great position to come out of this in a good way. Perhaps as a flagship dealer for the new Viper ownership, or as an independent Viper shop. He certainly has the best support group that anyone facing this kind of thing could hope for !