Cigarette lighter dead...possible causes?

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything else electrical seems to be working, so I doubt it's a fuse. Which fuse does the lighter map to, by the way? It doesn't say on the fuse box cover, and I have no service manual....

Anyway, any ideas on what the problem could be?

P.S., I discovered this when I went to plug in my G-Tech to do some 0-60 runs....
devil.gif

Reaction score
Although you don't think it's the fuse FYI: "The cigar lighter is powered by a 15 amp fuse located in cavity 4 of the power distribution center (PDC), on circuit F30. The fuse is hot at ALL times. Helpful hints.... Check the fuse. Check for a good ground at the instrument panel ground. Check the lighter element." Info taken from 1997 GTS Service Manual Section 8W-41-2&3. There you go....Good Luck!

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
Thanks for the info. I've got to get the manual. I'll check the fuse.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Venom Lover on 04-16-2002 at 07:23 PM</font>

Reaction score
Mike, Just a thought,you might want to check and see if your G-Teck has it's own fuse. Sometimes the accessory plug houses a safety fuse.

As far as checking the other fuses, just go to the PDC on the drivers side of the engine compartment and pull one fuse at a time to examine if a metal link is burned out. I am relatively sure you are still dealing with a 15 amp fuse. My book shows 15 amp fuses as light blue in color.

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim
Thanks again for the response. I also thought at first that maybe the G-Tech was dead, so I tried the cigarette lighter itself as well as my cell phone charger, and neither worked. So, I concluded that it's the Viper....That or everything else in my life has gone to hell....
dead.gif

I'll check the fuses in the PDC tomorrow.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar experience. The fuse was ok so I checked the wiring behind the cigarette lighter and found that for some reason the 12V connection to the lighter had come loose. After I took off the panel and pushed the connection to the lighter back in, everything was back to normal.

Having said all that, I bet it's still the fuse that Jim mentioned. It's located on the drivers side fuse box under the hood.

Good luck.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This same thing happened to me last week. It turned out to be a blown fuse. I had it replaced & haven't had a problem since.

RichardR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2001 with this problem. The fuse is good but there is no power at the socket.

Is this easy to get into or should I take it in for warranty?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add me to this 2001 broken cigarette lighter club.
It happend yesterday as i was leaving the dealership.
No time to get it fixed but the fuses checked out ok.
so next time i am in the vipertech will check for loose connection.

bummer such a small problem can be a big pain ... no lighter
no radar detector
pissed.gif