Clear Bra Bubbling on Corners-What To Do?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I purchased this car from Florida about two months ago. It came with a clear bra (assume that is what the clear film is over the front of the hood).:eater:

I noticed that it was bubbling a little on the two corners of the hood.:omg::omg::omg::omg:

Question: Can that be fixed? Use hair blower heat? Or, is it no good and needs to be removed.:dunno:

So, when and if you remove a clear bra, does it hurt the paint at all and is there a particular way it is removed?:dunno:

Thanks...sorry for all the questions in one post!:nono:

Peter

1998 RT/10, Viper Red :evilmad: (5k Miles) "Tatorized"

:usa:FIREFIGHTERS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY:usa:

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have an installer look at it. Once the glue unsticks I doubt it will go back down. When they first install them the heat will lay it down and evaporate any remaining fluid under them.

It should come off without taking paint with it providing it is not a repaint. Basically it is heated up and pulled off and then the remaining adhesive removed with 3M adhesive remover. I just got done removing one from my Lightning as I was getting it replaced under warranty.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, from what Chuck told me, the car looks all original...except it does look like the trunk was re-sprayed even though there is no noticeable damage.

So, I am in Western CT and have no idea who would be an installer of clear bras to ask.:dunno: Can anyone give me an idea of who does and where they are...in CT or even Westchester between Chuck's place and Danbury (like Brewster, NY).

Thanks very much.:headbang:

Peter

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can post some good pictures of the bubbles showing their size and location I can give you some advice on what can be done. I have been installing clear bras for 4 years and have a lot of experience with them. I may also be able to find a good installer in your area in case you need to get them fixed.

Thom

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, thanks to all. I will shoot a few pictures later and post them for you to see.:headbang:

My other issue is whether the clear bra can easily be removed without hurting the paint. :dunno: Considering putting stripes on and can't do over the clear bra. If I can get the bubbles out, might impact my decision.:eater:

Again, thanks for the advice and info.

Peter

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bra can be removed pretty easily with a hair dryer. Just heat it up a little and gently pull. It will not hurt the paint and should come right off. You will have to use 3M adhesive remover to get the remaining adhesive off.

I put vinyl commerative edition style stripes on my 04 and installed the clear bra so that it was trimmed to fit around the stripes. Came out looking great and still protected the front of the car.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are two pictures of the bubbling on the drivers side, it really isn't noticeable on the passenger side.

You must be registered for see images attach

And judging from the space between hood and facia, looks like I might have not closed the hood all the way!:crazy2:

Please let me know what you think....I know the pictures aren't the best but i think you get the idea.

Thanks much.

Peter

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that is going to have to be pulled off. It looks like it has had some heat problems... but I have never seen that before. If you know who the installer was I would take it to them and have it replaced. If not you will have to find someone to replace it. There definitely is no way to fix that though.

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having my guy come back tomorrow to fix a couple of small areas under my rear quarters. If you get the bra stuff done to your car with no problems, then you're lucky.Not so sure that it's a exact science.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm back to pulling the clear bra off. Is this something I can do myself without risking the paint, or do I need to find someone who installs clear bras to take off?

If I use a hair dryer and pull slowly, will that work? If there is a chance I can hurt the paint, then I would rather have someone do it.

Its too bad, because it is perfect everywhere else!:(

This might have helped me make the decision to add black stripes!

Thanks.

Peter

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going ot have it replaced and know who installed it then leave it on and have them do it. If you just want to remove it yourself and not worry about replacing it, then you will be fine and will not hurt the paint. Pull it offf slowly and you shouldnt have much adhesive left.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen it take paint with it but that is usually only on repaints. If original paint you should be fine. Just heat with blow dryer and pull slowly. Do not pull at a 90 degree angle. I did mine after the truck sat in the sun for a while and it came off with no issues.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.....

Okay, the car comes from Florida and I guess the original owner had it done there.:nono:

So, since it is only that one spot, will it not smooth out if I use a hair dryer and try to rub it flat?:dunno::dunno:

My concern is that I get half way through and it won't come off. Or, worse yet, it begins to hurt the paint...once you start, there's no turning back.:omg:

If I do not pull at 90 degrees, then what is the best angle to pull it off at?:dunno:

Thanks.

Peter

:usa:FIREFIGHTERS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY:dunno:

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have pulled many kits off of cars and have never had any problems. The pull angle will only help minimize the amount of adhesive left on the vehicle. A hair dryer will help loosen up the adhesive before removing it. As long as the kit wasn’t applied to fresh paint you will not hurt it. Just take your time and pull it off... then remove any leftover adhesive with a cleaner.

From looking at your pictures I do not believe there is any way to smooth that down. I am sure the kit has been on there for a while so it will just need to be replaced. If you are not worried about the appearance of it, then leave it on there until you get ready to replace it. It will continue to protect the paint even though it is bubbling. Once you get ready to stripe it or replace the kit, then remove it. But if you want to go ahead and remove it, do so with the thought that you could get chips in that area until it is replaced.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, that sounds like a plan....thanks very much to everyone for their advice and information!:headbang:

Once I get this off, I will post pics of "after." As I mentioned earlier, I'm not too concerned about chips, as I really do not use the car much. :drive:

But, if I decide to not stripe the car and put a new clear bra on, approximately how much does that cost installed?:dunno:

Thanks.

Peter

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the film at 180 degrees....you fold it back on itself... with a little side to side movement.
Correct. :2tu:

Pending on what film you use (clearcoated or the new thin non clear coat film) it can be VERY expensive. I would not recommend going with the new non clear coat film (cannot remember the name right now) even though it is very easy to install in comparison and much cheaper The non cc stuff tends to lose its shine very quickly and looks like crap within a year. The better 3M film cc is thicker and last and looks much nicer.

To give you a comparison I had the dealer do the front of my 335i and it cost 300 bucks. To do it with the good stuff it would cost me approx 800 bucks. I am kicking myself now (actually didn't know it was the non cc stuff when I had it done, just thought I was getting an incredible deal) for having the dealer do it as I should have found a good installer and paid to have it done right. I am thinking about getting the hood redone since you can see it much better and with it getting dull it looks like crap. I was quoted a price of 400 to re-do the hood, fenders and mirrors.

The Viper bumper kit is a very hard kit to install and I would not doubt it would cost 800 or more to do properly.

Last edited:

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What other way is there to pull one of thats been on for years??? The film is set so you have to pull it back over itself... not really a way to do it at 90 degrees.

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If these are your only problem spots I would try to cut them out and seam a new piece on. It might be tedious but I would try it before I peeled the whole hood off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
booth