Clearbra question on front facia: Need HELP..

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my car at the shop getting a clearbra put on, as we speak.. I was initially going to get sidesills,front facia,mirrors,headlights and door handles done.. Which the installer had no issues with doing.

HOWEVER, he did warn me (after he looked at the car). That with the stripes "edge" being as thick as they are on these cars. There "might" be some "lift" were the seam is, on the very edge of the factory stripe, on the front facia.. He said it will MOST LIKELY go away after the car gets exposed to the heat.. But wanted to be upfront before any work was done. Which I very much appreciated.

Said he'd call me tomm. AM before he does any work on the facia, for a decision. Any input? This guy is a VERY experienced installer. And probably being over critical. So, Im leaning toward having it done. Im sure it will look 99%.. input?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what film he is using, but when I first picked mine up with the Avery film, there was a slight hint of lift next to the edge of the stripes, but after a couple of days, you could not see the edge, it settled in quite nicely.

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know if you are using the guy that I used in Garden City NY, but I have NO issues with there being ANY lift of the material on the stripes where the blue edge is higher then the white paint. You can't even see the Clearbra material difference where the stripes meet the paint. BTW, why do you have to leave it there overnight? I had mine done in about three or four hrs. while I stayed with the car and chatted with the installer/owner. Hope you are happy with the results. Maybe he is being over critical.

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing that comes to mind is--- this his first job doing this that he's not sure what to do?

This is not the case... He was very clear and upfront.. He's done hundreds of these cars.

Not sure what film he is using, but when I first picked mine up with the Avery film, there was a slight hint of lift next to the edge of the stripes, but after a couple of days, you could not see the edge, it settled in quite nicely.

Thanks PA. thats pretty much what he said. He just said there was a slight chance there could be some lift on the stripe edge. The stripe IS pretty thick on these cars. But that it would go down after a short while.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
No problems with the clear bra (3M) my white / blue striped car or my red / silver striped car. It does seem to take a couple of days for all of the moisture to get out from behind the plastic. Might not try it in winter where you live.

Dan

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if you are using the guy that I used in Garden City NY, but I have NO issues with there being ANY lift of the material on the stripes where the blue edge is higher then the white paint. You can't even see the Clearbra material difference where the stripes meet the paint. BTW, why do you have to leave it there overnight? I had mine done in about three or four hrs. while I stayed with the car and chatted with the installer/owner. Hope you are happy with the results. Maybe he is being over critical.

VOI, thanks for the Ref. However, Im all the way in south Jersey (near Philly). So I used a local, highly recommended (by 3M and Venture) installer.

I am leaving it overnight because I can't get it there tommorow A.M with my work schedule. But he will have it done tommorow. We are talking about a guy who works on Ferraris,Porsche's,etc all day long.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my car at the shop getting a clearbra put on, as we speak.. I was initially going to get sidesills,front facia,mirrors,headlights and door handles done.. Which the installer had no issues with doing.

HOWEVER, he did warn me (after he looked at the car). That with the stripes "edge" being as thick as they are on these cars. There "might" be some "lift" were the seam is, on the very edge of the factory stripe, on the front facia.. He said it will MOST LIKELY go away after the car gets exposed to the heat.. But wanted to be upfront before any work was done. Which I very much appreciated.

Said he'd call me tomm. AM before he does any work on the facia, for a decision. Any input? This guy is a VERY experienced installer. And probably being over critical. So, Im leaning toward having it done. Im sure it will look 99%.. input?

My Clearbra installer told me the same thing but my car does not have stripes so I never got to test that theory about the sun curing the bra ligt.

/Rich

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You will be very glad you did it. It has saved me many rock chips I am sure. I know the windshield protection has already saved me 2 rock chips. Did you ever ask this installer about the windshield protection? IMO, it is just as important as the paint protection. :2tu:

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TAXIMAN I can tell you that he is not very experienced with installing these kits (or out of hundreds of cars he has never done one with stripes). I have been doing this for 3 years (have not done hundreds of cars) and I know of a very simple trick for taking care of the water that collects down the edge of the stripe. You seal the top of the film and then use a diabetic needle to pull the water out, just like you do with water bubbles. it will create a vacuum when the water is pulled out and seal the film right down. If he has done hundreds he would know this by now. So unless you have actually seen him do hundreds of cars, exotic or not, then don’t take his word for the length of time of experience he has in this.

If you have any more questions regarding clear bra, please feel free to contact me. I don’t claim to know everything but I will get you the right answer.

Please post some pics once the install is complete. I am sure it will look good and you will be very happy you had it installed.

Thom
HTPAutoWorks

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
texas, thanks for the tip.. Hypothetically speaking.. If you did NOT **** the water out as you describe. Would the film "settle" down on its own, once exposed to sun/heat?

It seems everyone is questioning the installer. He is a recommended installer on every film manuf. site.. 3M,clearmask,ventureshield,windshield protection,etc.. What that involves, I have no idea. But the guy HAS been doing this for a while..He's on all sites as a "certified installer".. Not sure what else am I supposed to do, to track someone down, who does this..??

Now, Im torn (and for really no reason)... I'll just have him do the sills for now. I dont have the time to drive the car hours and hours away, to get a clear bra installed.

Reaction score
Don't be so worried about this, if he is any good and this is something "you" value just go for it. If it does not turn out just have him remove it.

I for one just don't like the "look" of the film. You take a beautiful shiny new Viper and put the film over it for what? To protect it for the next guy? Why not just enjoy the car and when it needs to be freshened up do it. In the end it will cost about the same, maybe a bit more but taking care of this great car is at times a labor of love. There was not clear bra back in the day when restoring and driving classic sports cars was starting, people just detailed the cars as they went.

But this is just "my" opinion not that it matters ;-)

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be so worried about this, if he is any good and this is something "you" value just go for it. If it does not turn out just have him remove it.

I for one just don't like the "look" of the film. You take a beautiful shiny new Viper and put the film over it for what? To protect it for the next guy? Why not just enjoy the car and when it needs to be freshened up do it. In the end it will cost about the same, maybe a bit more but taking care of this great car is at times a labor of love. There was not clear bra back in the day when restoring and driving classic sports cars was starting, people just detailed the cars as they went.

But this is just "my" opinion not that it matters ;-)

You are right... BUT the side sills seem to get thrashed QUICK on these SRT's.. So thats an area, I definately wanted to cover while the mileage was still very low.. The facia.. Im still torn...

I previously owned a GTS with nearly 15k miles, and NO clear bra.. I might have had a knick or two down low. But the car looked virtually new, and was never painted.

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right... BUT the side sills seem to get thrashed QUICK on these SRT's.. So thats an area, I definately wanted to cover while the mileage was still very low.. The facia.. Im still torn...

I previously owned a GTS with nearly 15k miles, and NO clear bra.. I might have had a knick or two down low. But the car looked virtually new, and was never painted.
I'm with you with this thinking. Just might do the sills, and maybe behind the rear tires.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above. Give him a chance and see how he does. It can always be removed. As far as repainting a car instead of protecting it, I am not so sure about that. I have seen cars get sections painted and they dont match up well do to fading and such. Would rather just keep the beautiful paint job that comes from tha factory witout letting someone else try to match it. Just my two cents...

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did one today, after it is installed, just take a hot damp microfiber towel and gently push the area down, it works great and will stay down after a few days.

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My installer used a razor down each side of each stripe and everything looks great. There are no noticeable spots. He used the same technique with several Ford GT's as well.

-Justyn

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!!! A razor??? Thats the first I have ever heard of that. Hopefully there are not any cuts in the paint... or dirt doesnt start to build up in the creases he created.

Nowayforya

Enthusiast
Reaction score
85-200 and Texas are both correct. You can also use a hard card, after a few days drying time and work it along the edge of the stripe.
In my opinion, the insulin needle works best and is gives you an immediate seal. It can also be used to remove any excess water pockets from under the film.
If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a message. I will be happy to discuss any question you may have via phone.

Hal :usa:

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!!! A razor??? Thats the first I have ever heard of that. Hopefully there are not any cuts in the paint... or dirt doesnt start to build up in the creases he created.

Apparently he's gotten very good over the years utilizing just the right pressure (I wasn't going to question it since I have no expertise in this field). I wasn't present for the entire install, however everything that I witnessed was very meticulous, and he's done dozens of Vipers/Ford GT's, not to mention he's the installer for the local Ferrari/Lambo dealership. :dunno:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to follow this post up. I got the car back tonight, and he did a fabulous job. You honestly can't even see the stuff on there (and Im pretty picky), other than the minor orange peel the material has naturally. ZERO lines on the stripe edge. If anyone is in South Jersey. I would use him in a heartbeat. He did the side sills,facia,mirrors,rear fender "lip" and door handles. The car did not have 1 single additional mile, when I picked it up either. He moved it all of 10 feet while in his care.

Bill "Rocky" Rochford
Bordentown, NJ
609-647-6065
(Tell him Ron Hambrecht gave you his number)

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to follow this post up. I got the car back tonight, and he did a fabulous job. You honestly can't even see the stuff on there (and Im pretty picky), other than the minor orange peel the material has naturally. ZERO lines on the stripe edge. If anyone is in South Jersey. I would use him in a heartbeat. He did the side sills,facia,mirrors,rear fender "lip" and door handles. The car did not have 1 single additional mile, when I picked it up either. He moved it all of 10 feet while in his care.

Bill "Rocky" Rochford
Bordentown, NJ
609-647-6065
I'm getting pretty much the same done to my 06 next Mon.
Drum roll.

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bill "Rocky" Rochford
Bordentown, NJ
609-647-6065

Glad it worked out! I'm not crazy about the orange peel it has either, but you really don't notice it until about a foot away or so.

V

Venomiss

Bill "Rocky" Rochford
Bordentown, NJ
609-647-6065

Do we have any pictures after?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang