Closing The Hood. Really!

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, it's not the typical question on where to place your hands on the hood itself. Has anybody had an interference problem (with the hinges - specifically the driver's side) whereby the hood will not close? I am able to get my hood about 50% closed and something is stopping it from closing. Feels like a bracket is hitting a "stop" and it simply won't close. We know how expensive the hood is and forcing it is out of the question. Any ideas on what might be causing this? Anybody?

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The circular spring pack comes real close to the upper radiator hose. If you've tweaked that by some remote chance, it may be interfering. I have to watch for binding on mine (I have the Fluidyne radiator and ROE hoses).

OP
OP
S

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric: Absolutely no tweaking done anywhere. When closing the hood it simply stops when about half-way down. Feels like a semi-metallic clunk. Like the hood is touching a predetermined stop and wants to go no further. :(

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the hood engaging the latches near the doors? or is it sooner than that.

There are rollers on the top latches, and the lowers are basically nylon sliders at the side sills. I have had the lower sliders work loose and cause a bind. Check the lower first, then the uppers.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the back of the hood down and the front completely up, push down with some force and not lightly...that sounds like the problem

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe your latch on the driver's side has closed for some reason. Pull the latch in the grill again.

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also check your front tires to make sure they are not rubbing againt the hood,, or the wheel well plastic attached to the hood.

OP
OP
S

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys:

I can't even get the back of the hood (nylon roller) to set down. Picture this: When you close the hood, you move the back side (closes to the windshield) from open to where the nylon rollers touch. I can only get the backside of the hood half-way there and something in the driver side mechanism simply locks up and will allow me to go no further. Never seen anything like it.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might try taking off the hood (it's only four bolts, but you will probably need 3 people)) and then you can see whAt the hinge is hitting
Gary

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you dropped a tool in the area of the hood spring. Have a good look at the hinge mechanisms..(!)

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FE is right, look down to the top of the frame rails. There is a pin that goes through the lowest portion of the hinge, must be something binding down there. Fish around with a magnet. Also a cheapie auto parts flex mirror always helps.

OP
OP
S

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Haven't been in there with any tools lately. Eric might be onto something with the pin. if a hinge is bad I wonder if that would be covered under the extended service contract I bought?

Dave R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had the same problem several times on my Gen1. The problem is the safety latch doesn't return to its normal open position and the hood hits the top of the safety latch. The solution is to grease the hood latch.

Hope this helps!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder to NOT move your Viper with the hood in the partially closed position. The hood will hit the wheels and crack the hood!

Thanks for the post as my hood is also having issues lately catching on the passenger side. Hoepfully just a simple adjustment - although it seems that things are sometimes not so simple.

OP
OP
S

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe the problem is the release latch or cable system that operates it. As I have been trying to find the pinpoint the precise location of the interference, I have noticed that the support bar that has the engineered "kink" in it is beginning to bend. So, the hinge assembly that is mounted to the driver side frame rail appears to be the culprit. Seems to be a relatively straightforward piece - tried spraying aerosol lube on the pivot points (not the springs) and does no good. Agree with Rocket62 in that the car cannot be moved in this condition; not even flatbedded. The hood will damage itself or the car with the wind catching it and such. Guess I will try and find a service tech that can maybe visit the house here......but where to find such a person? :(

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you really have a bind. Take the hood off, and send the car to a tech.
Also, with the hood out of the way, you can make a real good inspection.
I think the hinge is $300-$400.

OP
OP
S

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone interested - I have a driver side hood hinge that was collapsing on itself. The hinge and spring assembly should fold down closely beside each other but mine was not doing that. A fluke according to the viper tech who diagnosed the problem. Parts are on order and the install should take place next week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62