Clutch safety switch advice needed

Reaction score
Occasionally I have difficulty with starting my car. I have to push down extremenly ******* the clutch pedal to disengage/activate (whatever you call it) the switch in order to start the car. Forget about it if the floor mat gets under the pedal. I have been told that there is no adjustment in the switch to correct for this problem. Anyone solved this yet? I do have an extended warranty if needed but if the switch has no adjustment, I am doubtful another switch will help. How about just over riding the switch so that it doesn't work? How would you do that? That would be fine with me, I don't need/want it anyway.

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is one of the greatest mods I made to my car. I had my viper tech do it, all you need is a wire to connect the two male ends on the green box behind your clutch. You will have to remove the cover assembly (this will make sense once you look behing your clutch). Remember this is not recommended and if you ever bump the starter with the car in gear you had better hope your feet are no where near the car. You need to be extremely careful if you do this and make sure you double check that the car is not in gear before you start.

PS. Is that an autoform roof I see? I love mine! E-mail me if it is I have a question about adjusting.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That switch is cylindrical and mounts "around" the clutch actuation rod running down and out the floor. The switch rides on that rod.

I had the same problem. The solution (to keep the function of the switch) was to take 5/8 heater hose (clean new hose)... cut off about a 1/2 inch long piece.... split it down one side.

Under the dash.... lift up on the switch (moving it up the rod away from the floor) slip that piece of heater hose around the rod.

Now the switch rides on the rod and above the piece of heater hose. Solved my problem completely.

The switch was not covered under my extended warranty contract... so my "engineered" fix will remain for a long time!

I can try and take a picture if that would help you?

Lance

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I'd bypass it. That's a big motor and a light car. If you ever make a mistake it could cost a bunch.
Of course, people had cars without a lockout for more than half a century and it wasn't a big problem.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same exact problem with my snake. I replaced the switch (easy) but it didnt fix the problem.
I think the root cause is actually the clutch pedal bushings wearing out a bit.
The way I fixed mine was to slide a thin piece of cardboard (like from a 12 pack of Beer) and use it like a shim between the switch and the stop on the shaft.
This was a way cheesy fix, but it has worked perfectly for over a year, so what the heck.
It was very embarrassing before when ever I had to valet the car and it wouldnt start.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,