Clutchless transmission?

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was checkin out the Snake-Oyl catalog and they had info on tranny replacements. "GenI-GenII and the 'new clutchless' viper tranny." what the heck are they talkin about? Is it just an auto trans?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yeah, I saw it as well. from what I gather, it is a manual tranny with VERY beefed up synchros and closer gear ratios, allowing you to shift "clutchless" on the move with no probs. Still need the clutch for a dead stop however.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Illinois Region club member Ron Adee, had a similar sounding tranny in his One Lap of America Viper last year. I think it was out of Australia. Trick but expensive, from what I remember.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds **** cool. I might have to invest in one of those later in life. Probably reduces ET's like nobodies business.

SNAKOIL VA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done it once just to see if it can be done, but I can shift my 93 RT now without a clutch. You just have to get the momentum and shift times aligned.

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a buddy with a box like this in a 10 second Subaru. Hard to learn how to drive. You have to pull it out of gear as you lift your foot a bit, so the force on the dogs balances, match the engine speed and quickly shift into the next gear. They just refer to it as a dog box here (cos all the gears have many large dogs). A lot like shifting on a bike without the clutch I guess... you can do it with close ratios without too much wear, but downshifting is bad news for the synchros (same reason why you double clutch a little when heel and toeing).

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it have a real manual clutch or could it be a manual transmission behind a torque converter?

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been watching FIA GT racing on Speedvision lately and it seems all the Vipers use this type of setup.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Final GTS:
No, made by B&W. based on the t-56

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you explain more about this tranny? Is 4th gear still a PITA to shift to under load? Is it contour hardened to make it stronger or lighter? Is the throw different? Tell us more, please?

Thanks,

Brad

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Absolutely. What's next those candyass paddle shifters?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am with chuck!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I meant to say it would take ALL the fun out of driving.

I don't recall oreca ever using the queerbox and they did MUCH better than that current team running over in the FIA series.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you referring to something like a Quaife or Hewland sequential tranny? If so, they are not synchromeshed trannies, they are straight cut dog gears (which makes them very impractical for the street). It is far from being an automatic tranny. All of the serious Le Mans and ALMS teams use them.

Brad

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig 201 MPH:
it would take alot of the fun out of driving. IMO

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. What's next those candyass paddle shifters?

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pauls:
F1 isn't Fun???!!! You want to go faster or just stir your stick?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For what a sequential tranny costs, how many go fast mods could you buy? You can't shift fast enough to make up a 100 h.p. difference.
supergrin.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pauls:
F1 isn't Fun???!!! You want to go faster or just stir your stick?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, your right. Just put me in a car with a joystick and let technology take me for the ride.

I don't have any control over a rollercoaster either. Maybe that's why I don't get the thrill out of them like I did when I was ten.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this tranny is designed 4 road racing. it is just like a jerico tranny in a winston cup car. it has no synchros and utilizes dog rings. yes u still use a clutch with this type of tranny. the main benefit is that the tranny will last longer under the abuse of road racing. u have over 200 different gear combos in these trannies. they only hold 2.5 quarts of lube and they are rated to over 1000 ft lbs. of torque. check out www.jericoperformance.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper