CM Performance Twin Turbo kit

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
We have taken the plunge and are developing our own twin turbo Viper project, we have a few pics on our website, with much more info to come. Our strategy is to apply import technology to the Viper, and use the most modern parts we can to develop a reliable and high performing kit. We will be road/track testing this by early spring.

a few pics are at http://www.cmperformance.com/viperproject.html

enjoy!
Dave.

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
I was a little worried about the size of the GT30's as well. The GT30's we chose flow enough air to make 600hp a piece, so I don't know if that is smallish to you or not. If you look at the physical size of them, they are quite large as compared to a T4 for example (The GT30 has a 4" compressor inlet vs. the 2.5" of a T4). However, based on the compressor map they should spool very quickly and never surge, so that is why we chose them. We will know shortly - if they don't cut it we will go bigger.

We are not going to determine a price until the setup is complete and proven reliable.

thanks a lot,
Dave.

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The exhaust housing is 1.06. the compressor is 0.7 - run the maps and let me know what you think.

How does the GT35 spool on your talon?

thanks,
Dave.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Davem,

What pervious turbo projects have you done before?

Is that AFC the only thing you are going to be using for fuel/ignition control?

Where did you get your turbo knowledge from? Some of the statements you made regarding T4's make me believe you lack knowledge in this field.

And since you are claiming to be sharing all info on this kit, what is exact compressor/exhaust wheel size.

And last but not least PRICE??? Please...

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ- good questions.

We've done several interesting turbo projects so far. My partner and I have hand built turbo systems (including turbo charger selection) for a ZRT800 snowmobile, CBR600 (this bike has 12:1 static compression) and CBR 929 motorcycles (240whp on race fuel), a DSM, a VW bug, and have tuned/upgraded easily 200 turbocharged cars with Haltechs, Electromotive TEC II's, GReddy Emanage, etc...including Porsches, Supras, MR2s, RX-7s, DSMs, VWs, mostly import stuff.

Not sure what I said about a T4 that you felt was not on the money, but I can do the math and we have a lot of experience seeing what actually works and what doesn't when it's bolted to an engine. I have degrees in Electrical and Computer engineering, and my partner is a tech school and airforce trained professional mechanic - because of our backgrounds I think we have an advantage over other tuners in our area.

We have a blast and have put a lot of miles on our in house dyno.

The engine management is the latest Wolf 3D standalone and we are working directly with them to develop custom software to allow us to use the stock crank triggering - The connection to the Wolf will use the stock Viper ECU connectors to a circuit board I have designed so you won't have to cut a wire on your stock harness. Earlier in the year I was talking with AEM about their plug + play (at the time I didn't think it would be ready soon enough and the Wolf guys promised the software), but if Wolf can't get the software to work properly I may look at the AEM P+P unit again.

I'm not at the shop right now, I'll check the wheel sizes and post again later. We will determine a price when the system is complete and demonstrates that it is reliable.

thanks,

-Dave.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wolf 3d looks nice and can log o2 and do closed loop but I sure do wish someone would do a full time closed loop based off of a w/b o2 ECU.

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
The turbos we are using are sized as follows:
GT3040's
Compressor wheel diameter in/ex dia/inch (this is a GT40 comp)
2.41/3.22 56 trim, A/R 0.7
Turbine wheel
2.16/2.36 84 trim A/R 1.06

Should be good for 600 hp each. We went with the larger 1.06 A/R because I felt we have enough engine to spool the turbo, and I wanted to be as efficient as possible at higher rpm.

We could do full time closed loop trim from a wideband O2, but it adds up to 1000 bucks or so cost to each side for the wb O2 and conditioning. There is a cheaper DIY wideband setup I've looked at, but the O2 sensor it requires has been unavailable in the US for at least the last 6 months. I'm still trying to get two.

-Dave.

John Moore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

Very nice site. It looks like you guys are heading for some fun times! Keep us up on your progress.
yesnod.gif

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by davem:

We could do full time closed loop trim from a wideband O2, but it adds up to 1000 bucks or so cost to each side for the wb O2 and conditioning. There is a cheaper DIY wideband setup I've looked at, but the O2 sensor it requires has been unavailable in the US for at least the last 6 months. I'm still trying to get two.

-Dave.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this the sensor you need :
"5 wire NTK sensor (with a 7 pin plug). This sensor is available as a replacement part for a Honda (part # 36531-P07-003 - Honda Civic 1.5 3 Door, circa 1995, US, non-Californian model).
The NTK sensor is stamped with the text L1H1 and is often referred to using this name"

If thats it, there have been plenty avalible fro the parts bin. You just have a one day time frame in which to order...or they are sold out again.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1TONY1:
Is this the sensor you need :
"5 wire NTK sensor (with a 7 pin plug). This sensor is available as a replacement part for a Honda (part # 36531-P07-003 - Honda Civic 1.5 3 Door, circa 1995, US, non-Californian model).
The NTK sensor is stamped with the text L1H1 and is often referred to using this name"

If thats it, there have been plenty avalible fro the parts bin. You just have a one day time frame in which to order...or they are sold out again.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I picked up one about a month ago - But I did have to wait a week for a new shipment to come in. - Apparently it's a hot item.

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
Posted a few new pics of our Viper TT effort- check them out, comments are welcome. Things are progressing nicely, Exhaust/intake plumbing completed, fuel system is designed and being installed, we are almost ready for the real fun to start -tuning!!

later,
Dave.