cognac interior

phantred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having the cognac interior of my 02 rt10 replaced with black and red by venzano vipers, is there any reason not to just trash the old leather?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you keep it nice in one peice I'll gladdly pay the
shipping to have it sent to me.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is in good condition, it has value to those with COgnac interior that may need to replace a piece. I, for one, could use a good condition shifter knob in Cognac...

OP
OP
P

phantred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, didn't know there was that kind of demand. Some of the material is perfect, some is a bit worn(but nothing i would have replaced if i had liked the color)

The shift knob seems worn to me, but it might be what your looking for, or at least worth shipping.

I don't mind giving the stuff away(if you pay shipping of course) but please don't ask for it if you are just planning on reselling it.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh I would save the pieces! either sell them or pass them on to someone

shift knob -already had to replace that
driver seat
carpet

I would think will wear first on mine

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swapped to black last year and sold a bunch of my old parts excpet my old seats. They have some wear and i just didn't feel like messing with selling them.
you might want to consider doing some of the parts yourself. We dyed the knee bolsters and door panels along with the e-brake handle. it looks great!
I used black SEM dye

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why people do not like the cognac interior? I think it looks great on a black car! I have it in my 99 RT/10 and at first when I was looking for a viper I only wanted a black interior, but the more I saw the cognac in a black car the more I wanted it. All black is too much, I think the cognac gives the car a sharp contrast. Just me 2 cents!

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just changed out a 94 green with cognac interia's carpet for a black one and it looks a lot better...
Green viper Black carpet Cognac seats,doors and dash...

OP
OP
P

phantred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it's a bad look, but it is a older, classier look to me, I'm 22 and my viper obsession started with watching the old tv show when I was 7 or 8 or so. A black and red interior to match the red car just seems 'cooler' to me.

crazy kids you know?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a newer Porsche at an HPDE with a 'cognac' color interior, EXACT color match as my GTS.

Wonder if that's the same leather source as in our Vipers

I love the feel of the leather, like a baseball glove

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is sad to read this stuff, I know it's about personal choice but you DO realize that only 43 were made in your color combination? And that sometime way down the road you have killed the collectibility of the car? Why even buy the car if you are going to change it?
Oh, the compay that made the leather is out of business so the likelihood that it could ever be restored back to original is nil. That's the other reason you do not want to throw the pieces away if you go through with it, they ain't making any more and someone will need them. I don't know why anyone thinks it's an old fashioned color either, about half the new Ferraris come with that color interior. With red being the most common exterior. Only color combo I would ever have in a Ferrari. Red with Tan. And if I ever add an RT10 to the stable it will have Cognac for sure. Personal choice I guess.
But the irony is that you ARE so young, you may keep that car forever. And 30 years from now it WILL matter. I guess you learn from experience, I'm currently restoring an old corvette that came from the factory with a one of two made paint job, what did I do? I repainted it after two years with a different color, now I'm going to be up to the gazoo in judges who won't believe it because it's a repaint and not original.
Best advice if you change it out...don't dye anything and keep and store the whole original interior. My bet is that even just a few years out folks are going to be checking for window sticker and option codes on Gen 2's and will prize originality over modded cars unless the original parts come with the car.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Best advice if you change it out...don't dye anything and
keep and store the whole original interior.

Yeah, if you're going to gut your 1of43 car what you need to to
is find someone selling the complete old interior out of their
car. I'm sure if you do a search you can find someone
selling their old, and very complete, black interior for under
$1200. Then you take your 1of43 cognac and store it, and go
custom-wild on the used interior. Then if you sell, or get some
other urge to go back to original you can sell the custom job...
no worse for wear. Or better yet you get a riduclous deal on the
cognac later on and make a huge profit.

Just a random thought, no shameless plug or aything like that...

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever. IF your already modifying and changing a bunch of other things on the car then it's already being taken out of the relm of stock. Why drive in (what i think is nasty looking) cognac which will wear over time anyway, when you could just switch now and have your Viper the way YOU want it.
Ever think maybe someone bought the car because they got a good deal on it? I could car less if my car was 1 or 89 or whatever it is. i build my car the way that I like it.

If your not going to keep it and store it as a collectable, then i say change the car to what you want.

Also why not dye it, if your trying to save money then DYE the stuff, i guarantee by looking at my old dyed cognac knee bolster you wouldn't be able the tell the differnce looking at a stock black bolster. Plus when i looked at getting bolsters they were like 500 for the set, yah sometimes you FIND a deal but i'm not willing to wait 8 months for some bolster to come along.

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
when i brought my 95 it had a cognac int and i did not like it with red...was gonna change it but now it has grown on me and i like the color combo...infact im starting to build a ffr cobra soon and have decided the color combo will be red/cognac

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh I would save the pieces! either sell them or pass them on to someone

shift knob -already had to replace that
driver seat
carpet

I would think will wear first on mine

Last time I spoke to chuck, I think Dodge only had about 8 of them left at dealers.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both James and Lee make valid points but either way, keep the old interior. I did the same thing with my Gen1. Hated the grey interior, so I changed it. Hell, I changed the whole car and made it unique. Do whatever makes you happy but if I had to do it over again, which I am with my Gen2, keep ALL of the old parts. No regrets on my end but I lost my ass when I sold my Gen1 because it was not stock. You also have a rare color combo, who knows what the future holds!?

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't understand why people do not like the cognac interior? I think it looks great on a black car! I have it in my 99 RT/10 and at first when I was looking for a viper I only wanted a black interior, but the more I saw the cognac in a black car the more I wanted it. All black is too much, I think the cognac gives the car a sharp contrast. Just me 2 cents!

I totally agree. The cognac leather interior adds a nice contrast to a dark colored Viper, especially black. When people walk over to look at my car they are initially drawn by the body styling but then they see the interior and just marvel at it. Most of them say they have never seen that color in a Viper before.

I don't know why anyone who has it would want to swap it out for that black vinyl that is on 95% of all Vipers already. However, if someone wants to give theirs away I'll gladly pay the shipping costs to have a spare set stored in my basement.

I wear a pair of baseball batting/driving gloves to keep it looking nice when cruising. If/when I ever sell it some year it will bring top dollar. In the meantime I can enjoy the look and feel of genuine leather seats. I've had my share of black interior cars on a hot summer day.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. The cognac leather interior adds a nice contrast to a dark colored Viper, especially black. When people walk over to look at my car they are initially drawn by the body styling but then they see the interior and just marvel at it. Most of them say they have never seen that color in a Viper before.

[/QUOTE]
I totally disagree lol. I think it looks like baby puke. When i used to have it, SOME people liked it, BUT the vast majority hated it and said things like "Why would Dodge produce an interior like that",
"I love your Viper but not the interior", "God what the heck is that" lol
I personaly think it does look pretty good on an all black viper, it adds a classy look in my opinion. If i saw a Viper like that i'd assume an older guy owns it. As far as myself being a young guy, plus adding silver metallic racing stripes, it totally clashed and looked like crap to me.
Plus it just didn't fit me. Once it was changed to black EVERYONE loved it and complimented me on how much better the car looks with black interior.
I don't know it's kind of a love / hate relationship lol.
Different strokes for different folks is what it all comes down too :2tu: .

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is kind of off topic, but isn't there a difference in the Tan (Gen 1) and Cognac (Gen 2) interior colors? To me, it looks like Cognac is just a bit darker then the tan interiors.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is kind of off topic, but isn't there a difference in the Tan (Gen 1) and Cognac (Gen 2) interior colors? To me, it looks like Cognac is just a bit darker then the tan interiors.
yes your correct, their totally different interiors and colors.

Thanks! It's very hard to tell in pictures because of different lighting. And I have never seen Cognac up close.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes your correct, their totally different interiors and colors.

Thanks! It's very hard to tell in pictures because of different lighting. And I have never seen Cognac up close.
yah if you saw them up close then you would definately be able to tell. The cognac look alot better then the grey and it's alot better quality. BUT i still don't like it lol

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i found a couple pics that i think is a good example of cognac and shows the colors accurately.

01f2.jpg

1100a.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960