Color vs. Year

4B Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been waiting for a long, long time to get a Viper and it looks like the time to buy is nearing, but I'm having a hard time deciding what the "right" Viper for me is. Please let me know of any insights any of you guys have for me.

Here's my problem. I really prefer to get a 2000+ Viper but I've really fallen in love with the '96, '97 color combo of blue w/ white stripes.

I have a bunch of reasons why I want a 2000+ Viper, yet there's only one reason keeping me from finalizing that decision which is totally frustrating me. Would it be bad for me to make a decision all for the sake of color preference? Will I get a 2000+ Viper and then still secretly lust for that blue/white striped Viper, or will I get a '97 and kick myself later for not getting a 2000+? Especially since I'll be spending a lot of hard earned money, I would like to get exactly what I want and have piece of mind with my decision. Any thoughts on this matter?

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC168,

I would not make a decsion based on color. I would recommend going to the best mechanical car (year)that you could get than make a color choice in that range. I would look for an 01 or better so that you can also take advantage of the ABS brakes which is a big enhancement. There have been a few 01 cars floating around at dealers that have never been titled. The big advantage there is you would get the 7/70 warranty!

If you are going to buy used then I would look for an ACR as well, as the 10k premium does not transalte into 10k upcharge on the price in the used market. Basically you can get an ACR for a few thousand more than a GTS and in the long run I think you will be safer with the ACR as they only made abouut 800 total. Just my opinion, either way good luck.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny that you would ask what color Viper you would be happy with. You have come to the right place for this guidance. I checked and as it turns out, you will decide on a black Viper, You will buy it and love it for its understated beauty. As time passes you will see the folly of driving around with a blue Viper that has been ruined by the application of stripes. You will feel like a grownup with a powerful, beautiful, adult's automobile. Others will disagree, mostly teenagers, but you will be confident that you made the right decision.
There you go, your future is spread out like a book for you to read and follow. Tell me this site isn't a great source of information.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with joe117, except for the Black. BLACK ? Please......want to spend your life cleaning it? If you can, get a Steel Gray.......rare......especially with cognac interior. Stripes? Thumbs down, unless everywhere you go you want to be thought of as ready to hit a race track.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Quick clarification, as I fear this will become a major stumbling block concerning warranty coverages in the future. If someone purchases a used 2001,it is highly probable it will not have a 7/70 Powertrain warranty on said vehicle. This program only became available in July of this year, and it was preceded by a short program that had a 7/100 Powertrain for free,to new buyers. The caveat is that the 7/100 is not transferable ( only applicable to first owner ) , and the 7/70 Powertrain Coverage is very new -- therefore the likelyhood of a 2001 having said coverage is slim. A new 2001 would be covered at present , as well as new 2002s, and I do concur that ABS is huge and will be a large factor in future resale. Best of luck and you won't be unhappy , regardless of your final decision.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If you like the "racing good looks" of the high contrast blue with white, did you consider the 2002 final edition? Red with white stripe, nice red stitching in the interior, and a badge that says you're one of 360. Color combo was NEVER on a car before (although I still think I saw a '97 Coupe with white stripes!).

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went for yellow 01 with ABS of course and have not regretted it.
If I wanted a striped GTS I would definitely have gone for a red with white stripe final edition.

if I had to buy a GTS today I would consider the Daytona version.

OR

Call Bill P at Woodhouse and get the cheapest 2001 or 2002 GTS he has and have him paint it 97 blue with white stripes.
best of both worlds.
Vipers are not hard to paint because there are in 5 or 6 parts.
I choice the RT/10 over the GTS great in the summer and if you want a GTS feel throw on the hardtop.
best wishes
JIM

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the color you like best or you will always be looking and wishing. Also consider the collectability of the first year GTS a few years down the road. When most car guys think Viper they think red RT/10 or Blue/White GTS.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000 Steel Gray RT/10 -- black interior -- 197 made. One year color. Subtly turns to a gun metal blue hue under different lighting conditions like dusk or an overcast sky. We intend to have this car for a long time although the ABS would have been nice. I might go for an 01 yellow as a second choice. The market is very soft for these cars right now. Go for it--There's not a bad looking Viper out there!

Steve

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Get the blue/white '97 with forged wheels and forged pistons. Upgrade brakes with StopTech...better than ABS if you know how to threshold brake. Also, with the money saved over a 2000+ you can do some additional upgrades like exhaust and motor. Good luck with your decision and outcome! BTW, if you want ABS you will need to get an '01 or '02 not an '00.