Come have a laugh, maybe you can help

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations, so it was a dead PCM? Glad you got it figured out!!

OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With out a doubt, the new PCM arrived, installed, relearned, key on gauges moved like they should, push of the red button and she came to life. A little surprised pulling the fuel pump fuse would nuke a $1700 plus PCM. Oh well, expensive lesson.....

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With out a doubt, the new PCM arrived, installed, relearned, key on gauges moved like they should, push of the red button and she came to life. A little surprised pulling the fuel pump fuse would nuke a $1700 plus PCM. Oh well, expensive lesson.....

The biggest annoyance to me with something like this is that it could be a very simple failure of a buffer/driver chip which costs pennies, and perhaps could be troubleshot and replaced for a $100. Does your old PCM end up as a core charge? It makes me wonder if there is a garage-type business to be made here or if someone is doing it already. I know quite a few electronics techs that have been laid off.

(I had an issue a few years ago with another car that I am certain was most likely just a chip on the computer board that interfaces between the computer chip and the ignition switch module. Covered under warranty; but, it got me thinking about it.)

OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aztvr - I agree it was probably something minimal on the board. I didn't see the insides of the device bit with the location being at front front of the car I'm sure it's sealed. And to be honest, it is what it is and I'd rather not mess around. Not sure what happened to the original and not too worried about it.

OP
OP
D

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well today although cold, the roads where dry. I was able to take my FE for a ride in northern BC. It was awesome to get some seat time and put on a few clicks, even if I didn't get beyond third gear. Back in storage and getting a cut wax, polish and paint seal before its put in a local dealership commercial on Friday. Then we are southbound in a trailer to get some more seat time before driver training in March. I'm not sure I'm going to get much work done this spring/summer.

Drew

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456