Comp Coupe debuts at Willow Springs

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took possession of my new Comp Coupe at Willow Springs Raceway in CA. Yes, I'm the first person in the country to get their car. All I can say is "WOW." This car is MORE THAN A REASONABLE PERSON CAN HANDLE. You know how you felt back in 1996 getting out of whatever you were driving (at the time) and getting into a street Viper GTS for the first time? This is the same jump in performance (maybe more) if you had a <u>race prepared</u> GTS and then went to the Comp Coupe. The CC will blow your mind. I had to take it around the track extremely slowly at first because this snake could get away from you easily. By the end of the day I was getting the hang of it, but make no mistake about it, this is a pure race car with Viper speed. I had no car problems all day. (I did see a Corvette and a 360 Modena blow engines though...that was also fun). John Fernandez, Eric Peterson, and Tony Estes all flew in to support the car and make sure that the first one was flawless, which it was. I thought so much of the car that I ordered a second one which will be built sometime around the summer.

Friday was a test and tune day at the track and a bunch of Ferraris were there. The guys who have Ferrari Challenge series cars were dying. They loved the way the CC looked and it is half the price (and twice the performance) of the Prancing Horse.

Racing this car in the Viper Days is about as much fun as you can have (legally).....I highly recommend it. I'll post some pictures soon.

By the way, the brakes should be illegal. When you step on them they stop...that second. I have never experienced brakes like that in my life. I'm told they are exactly the same (except for softer pads) on the SRT.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Russ for being the first owner to wring one out on the track. Saw your car leave the factory on January 10th and it's good to see that the Archers made sure you were ready to go this weekend.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are two photos of Russ's Comp Coupe with my SRT-10 at Willow Springs

RusCCandJDSRTatWillow2.jpg

RusCCandJDSRTatWillow.jpg

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Russ. Glad to see you have survived the new snake the first weekend. It looks great! I can hardly wait to get into mine when it is ready. Suppose to be done next month. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with us.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larger photos e-mailed to those that asked

Russ - I will scan the other photos in the am. I ran out of time today. I think there are some good shots.

OP
OP
Russ Oasis

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to whomever sent me over to the RT-10 / GTS board to read SoCal Rebell's thoughts. Here's the situation. This is the first full out race car I have owned. It is also the ONLY one in existence. I do not have the skill to whip this thing around Willow Springs as fast as guys like Sonny Whelen or John Greico, my first time in the car and first time on that track. Could I have gone faster? Sure....but for what end? Why risk an incident so that SOMEBODY ELSE is satisfied with my car. Maybe Rebell is right and the car is not for him. As for me...I LOVE the car. We were also experimenting with suspension adjustments. Why push it??? I remarked to John Fernandez that I wasn't pushing the car and he ASSURED ME that he thought I was dealing with the FIRST Comp Coupe in the right manner. Perhaps Rebell missed what John said about the car and the lap times at the Saturday night banquet. Rebell, sorry that the car didn't ring your chime, but don't blame it on the car...blame it on ME. You'll have another chance when the rest of the guys get their cars. I suspect that they will be lapping you the same way Tommy Archer did to all the RACE PREPARED cars in Nashville at VOI.
PS Were you the guy yelling at Eric Petersen and Tony Estes about not being allowed to take a "demo drive" before deciding if you wanted to buy one? If so, what that was about?

PPS I'm trying to post more pics but they seem to be too large for the server to take them.

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ,

I sincerly appreciate time you spared to talk to me about your car at Willow Springs. I am extremely happy that you let me sit in that machine. After this weekend I have decided to purchase one and will be mailing off my deposit tommorrow.
Please don't be too harsh on So Cal, See my post on the RT/GTS section (This is Frickin stupid, this 2 board stuff).There was about 10 of us that just know deep down inside that that car will kick butt, we just expeced it too early, without thinking about it fist. Your show of restrain in the first few laps is "First Class" in my book.I really don't know if I could have.

I appreciate meeting you and had a great time watching your car run.I hope too see you at BW in a few weeks. I really hope that you will have a second seat. I gotta ride in my future car!!!

Joe B (Winner of Prepared Class @ V-Days)01

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bad viper:
I've been emailed that.....
"The price for the second phase of Comp Coupes is still being worked out but the preliminary price is 118,000".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much were the first ones?

2charmed

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Russ!

It was nice meeting you. The car looked great and I think you handled it very appropriately on the track. It takes a while to get comfortable in any new car and it's important to break it in properly. Once we get a few of them on the track together it will be easier to compare notes and work on getting faster - you're smart not to rush it.

Tom Glen of the Arrive and Drive Viper program announced at the banquet that he would be receiving a Comp Coupe from Chrysler to promote through his ViperDays rental business. This should be a chance for everyone to get on the list and check out this new machine. Give him a call:
g-pmotorsports.com

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

OP
OP
Russ Oasis

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK...I have a few more pictures which I can post now (Thanks to Chris at the Kansas City VCA). Sorry I don't have more.

You must be registered for see images

By the way, there are some very good drivers in both the VRL and Viper Days. I strongly recommend Viper Days for anyone who really wants to find out what a Viper...ANY VIPER..can do. It's also a great place to hang out with like minded people and immerse yourself in Vipers for the weekend...away from day to day bull.

Thanks to all for the nice words about the car and times. This is just the beginning.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Russ. Great pictures. Great car. I look forward to your future success. I'm ready for the street legal version but maybe Dodge is awaiting for the Ford GT...and maybe we will get a 550hp coupe with paddle shifters!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey, Russ, that's great news!

So tell me, what to you do for a living, "radio"? I'm sure you don't mean you are an FCC technician. You must be a dj, or an owner.

Secondly, where do you park all those cars? In a barn?
smile.gif