Computer problems after long-term battery disconnect?

Clyde

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm entering my car in a local "in-door" car show. The battery must be disconnected for 3 full days. One of the show's representatives called me and said another Viper owner (he believes its also a Gen 3 owner) says he can't disconnect his battery for that long because it could potentially harm his car's computer or related components. I was unaware of such an issue and a quick forum search didn't reveal anything. The show's rep wants me to produce documentation to either confirm or dispute the other Viper owner's claim. Other than the normal "re-learning process" should I be concerned about disconnecting my battery that long??

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no,that guy is nuts..... will not harm anything-period

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like someone's urban legend unless that owner has some other aftermarket device installed. Disconnecting the battery won't affect the ECU, BCM, or any other stock component.

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has been dead for almost a month with no issues once rejuvenated. The '04 manual discusses a minor chance of having an issue with the OBD but there is a step-by-step procedure listed as to how to check and refresh it, if necessary. Otherwise, :drive: on!

"The OBD system may not be ready if your vehicle was recently serviced, if you recently had a dead battery, or a battery replacement."

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with others, but there is also a 9-volt connector you can get at any box store. That will provide enough power to maintain all your computer/radio settings, they are like 6 bucks. I have one (on the advice of Steve-Indy) for when I go to swap out a battery, that way the computer does not have to relearn everything.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with others, but there is also a 9-volt connector you can get at any box store. That will provide enough power to maintain all your computer/radio settings, they are like 6 bucks. I have one (on the advice of Steve-Indy) for when I go to swap out a battery, that way the computer does not have to relearn everything.
great advise!!!!

OP
OP
C

Clyde

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great input all! I REALLY appreciate everyone's feedback!

OP
OP
C

Clyde

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks...that will be my next purchase!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21