Confused Newbie deciding between 2001 GTS ACR and 1996 GTS ...Man this is tough!!!

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Confused Newbie deciding between 2001 GTS ACR and 1996 GTS ...Man this is tough!!

I'm sure whatever you wrote above was insightful and full of self serving reasoning but who the hell has time read your diatribes.
Enjoy your old cars.[/QUOTE]

Its worth the education. :2tu:

That I will do, as you should yours.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Confused Newbie deciding between 2001 GTS ACR and 1996 GTS ...Man this is tough!!

You “may” need to cut your B/W color count down. How many B/W were made with the stripes going through the plate (you could probably do the same for red and stripes though). Yes I know it’s the same color but it does make it unique. I am not going to get involved in this tangled web but I bought my car for the stripes, first year and color combo…
I like Butter Crunch Ice Cream, what do you like?

PS, Yes dave, I am waiting for you to quote me and discombobulate the verbiage LOL..

Last edited:

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score

How many Vipers have been racked up since 1996 to present? I've seen a couple on Youtube, and some on the site here with previous posts. I can only see the Value rise for all of them!

Come on man!!! Vipers are cool. Personally Love the 2nd Gen vipers.
I have a 97.. Love my car.. Stock.. Clean... Orginal paint, and Fast enough.

Okay $35K for a 96 with 8000miles on it??? That my friend.. Is a Deal!!!

On a side note... I Paid way more than the 96 and 2001 your interested in and it has highier Miles K's
(I always get shafted 9 miles long) LOL

I Expect a 10% compunded annual rate of return for the next 10yrs for all Vipers! LOL

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quite frankly I watch Barret Jackson, Mecum etc and my jaw drops looking at what people are paying for American Muscle and sports cars. Vipers are still a little too new right now but even still... I could understand the crazy auction prices 7 or 8 years ago when owners could sit back and smirk and say "well they ain't gonna build anything like that ever again" but they no longer enjoy that luxury to a large degree... Many of those cars that sell so high were never really all that special in the first place and I know first hand that they are pretty awful to own and drive by today's standards. Of course there are some cars that are truly special and significant and limited production and the early Vipers are in that category but it's going to take another decade or so and it will be interesting to see how the Gen V affects the market for all gen Vipers.

The B/W is clearly the better choice here though.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Irony: Idiot suggesting it's worth the education and spelling education wrong.

the only idiot is you pal...its one thing to discuss controversy over opinion and another to get verbal.

its a sad day in paradise when a ******* feels he has some form of factual integrity towards his thoughts.

Maybe you should be chatting over at the Lambo site, or, do they shun upon you for being a newbie and owning the poor mans Lambo.

yawn:...keep your ******* verbal comments to yourself Viperless.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperJohn,
So you bought a 97 B&W during its depreciating cycle and sold it during the same cycle. If you actually expected it to make you money, you know very well by now you were wrong. You don't buy cars as investments, especially short term. You have a better chance at a long term investment, but I prefer to think of owning mine as a loser every year. If it loses $2000 a year and I drove it 4000 miles, it only cost me 50 cents a mile to enjoy driving it. This is a thread from a guy wanting to know what car to buy, not for you to spout opinions about a car you no longer own, and you had the 97, not the 96. You can say they are the same, they are not. The 96 was "the" coupe, it's what started it all, all of the others are just following in its footsteps.

What did a 96 Gallardo go for, around $225,000, and it's worth what, 80-$85,000, so that's around 37% of its original price. That would put a $70,000, 96 GTS at around the $26,000 mark with the same depreciation. Try finding one for that price. The Viper looks like a much better long term investment.

che liberazione

Last edited:

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score

There is not much difference in a Viper GTS from 1996 to 2002. Whether you indend to keep it or not, it's at least nice to know you didn't over pay for something, which you are unquestionably doing for that red car.

The '96 is obviously the better value here regardless of the color.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperJohn,
So you bought a 97 B&W during its depreciating cycle and sold it during the same cycle. If you actually expected it to make you money, you know very well by now you were wrong. You don't buy cars as investments, especially short term. You have a better chance at a long term investment, but I prefer to think of owning mine as a loser every year. If it loses $2000 a year and I drove it 4000 miles, it only cost me 50 cents a mile to enjoy driving it. This is a thread from a guy wanting to know what car to buy, not for you to spout opinions about a car you no longer own, and you had the 97, not the 96. You can say they are the same, they are not. The 96 was "the" coupe, it's what stated it all, all of the others are just following in its footsteps.

What did a 96 Gallardo go for, around $225,000, and it's worth what, 80-$85,000, so that's around 37% of its original price. That would put a $70,000, 96 GTS at around the $26,000 mark with the same depreciation. Try finding one for that price. The Viper looks like a much better long term investment.

che liberazione

Who is this guy...someone buy him a round from me:2tu:

Very well put....i couldnt have said that better myself.

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I say the GTS. Spend the money that you save on some nice mods. If for some reason you don't like it right off the bat, I think it would be safe to say that you could sell it for roughly the same price you bought it for.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is almost hilarious with you two... Like 2 high school bullies stalking each other in every hallway and lunchroom in the forum...:lmao: Very entertaining:lmao: Please no Wedgie for me:lmao:

the only idiot is you pal...its one thing to discuss controversy over opinion and another to get verbal.

its a sad day in paradise when a ******* feels he has some form of factual integrity towards his thoughts.

Maybe you should be chatting over at the Lambo site, or, do they shun upon you for being a newbie and owning the poor mans Lambo.

yawn:...keep your ******* verbal comments to yourself Viperless.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Snake Charmer,
Even though your post has been hijacked with a lot of debate, there also a lot of facts hidden in here. Sit back and enjoy the show long enough and you can probable learn a lot about the cars if you can sift through the B.S. Debates are a great time to learn as well as teach, the key is to not become emotional and never let it get personal. I stand by the fact that these cars will appreciate, the availability of the parts in the future is what will ultimately dictate their desirability. The Viper Tax has always held the market down, make sure you check and see what parts for these guys cost. As bullet proof as they are, they still break.

Old Italians are always cheap since their maintanance is sky and repairs are ridiculous.

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hey!!! The 97 is not like the 96??? Lol..i have a motortrend mag from 1997 and just loved the smoke show on the back end and it's caption was "Planet Earth's Biggest Brute".
The color combo B/W was so Hot they continued in 97 too. Same car. It was a re inforcement of an already crowd pleasing Best seller..Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. lol

The red with white does look smasking I must say!!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperJohn,
So you bought a 97 B&W during its depreciating cycle and sold it during the same cycle. If you actually expected it to make you money, you know very well by now you were wrong. You don't buy cars as investments, especially short term. You have a better chance at a long term investment, but I prefer to think of owning mine as a loser every year. If it loses $2000 a year and I drove it 4000 miles, it only cost me 50 cents a mile to enjoy driving it. This is a thread from a guy wanting to know what car to buy, not for you to spout opinions about a car you no longer own, and you had the 97, not the 96. You can say they are the same, they are not. The 96 was "the" coupe, it's what started it all, all of the others are just following in its footsteps.

che liberazione

Yes, what did a 96 Gallardo go for?
Idiot.....do some research before you pipe in you're as embarrassing as the icehole.

Have a little respect for the OP and stop crapping in his thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will accept the idiot comment and change my Gallardo to Diablo. The only person that has crapped on his thread is the one telling him no to buy an old car. It is an old car, the end. It may not be worth much in the future, so what. And thank you for the lesson on the Gallardo not being made in 96. Just because your Viper experience isn't what you hoped and dreamed it would be, let this guy make his choice without you crapping on his choices. The Lambos are beautiful, maybe Ill start saving and buy one in the future, maybe for my 40th Birthday. I know a lot of you guys have been down this road before, but you are past the cars, they are beneath you, but now it's time for a new generation to start picking them up.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some of these comments are too funny.:rolaugh:

First off...a 2001 ACR is just another regular production car with a few hidden differences which make no difference in your case since this is not a factory perfect ACR with no stripes. Never will it be a collectable.

Secondly, If your looking at modding this car with a Blower or Turbo..forget it. youll be way over your head with extras that it needs engine wise.

Thirdly, How can you compare any Vipers Iconic figure over a 1996 Blue and White. What car before and after that car wrote the books for the future of Viper? What car brought on the coupe as the desired version? Which car brought on the Hp wars with no competition? Which car brought on the color combo of the originator Shelby. Which car started rolling the ball for what has become todays icon know as the all powerful Viper? Why did Chrysler and now SRT continue to relicate and honor the 1996 B/W if it has no relevance in Viper history and is an underated Viper. Underrated in which way, specifics,like weather striping,a leak, comon,,lol...now theres a reason to underate the car that started it all. Too funny. The 65 Shelby was underated...lol..yet its worth what? There are a handful of Vipers that to me are collectables....my list would consist of...

1992 rt first of the line
1996 B/W GTS
1997 B/W RT
1998 Championship car
All the GTS-R cars esp 49-52 (i believe they were)
ACR Roadsters (woodhouse dodge)
2002 FE Edition
2010 ACR one of cars

Not a 2001 ACR..rare or not....its like saying a ZR! is a collectable and the indianapolis car is not. Have not seen that yet. Not from Ford not from chevy and not from dodge ofcourse.

I say get that 96 hands down ! For th money and especially for what the car stands for. The B/W is distinctable and noticable. The ACR car is just another Nice Viper. As they all are. When you drive a B/W your driving history. IMHO of course

I fully agree. 96' BW is a guaranteed future classic and will always be the iconic Viper GTS look that turns every head it drives by. Everyone on here has their strong opinions, but the fact remains that this is the classic GTS color combo that was only made for 2 years, and that's a good price for it.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can hardly wait for my “Old 96” as you guys say to get older. I played my cards right with three other “old muscle cars” sitting in my garage and I personally believe I have a Straight Flush with my 96 GTS… If only I could remain the same age when my cars are even older.. OP, definitely go for the 96!!!!!!

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I too have been extremely lucky with my picks in cars but I think it has way more to do with luck than anything else. One thing I always did was to buy a car that I liked - not the one some guy in a book told me would be collectible. The issue with these cars from an investment standpoint are there are so many bought for that purpose. Buy the car you like even if it means just for a color preference and don't listen to anyone else. Nothing worse than buying your dream car then having regrets. If it goes up in value its icing on the cake.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can hardly wait for my “Old 96” as you guys say to get older. I played my cards right with three other “old muscle cars” sitting in my garage and I personally believe I have a Straight Flush with my 96 GTS… If only I could remain the same age when my cars are even older.. OP, definitely go for the 96!!!!!!

You are definitely sitting on a future *** of gold if you have a 96' GTS in the right color combo and with low miles.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll give $2 for the blue GTS. $1 for the Gallardo.

Now, all of a sudden, simply because I posted what I did, which that is now printed fact, a used blue GTS is worth double what a used Gallardo is.

Isn't car hype great?

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll give $2 for the blue GTS. $1 for the Gallardo.

Now, all of a sudden, simply because I posted what I did, which that is now printed fact, a used blue GTS is worth double what a used Gallardo is.

Isn't car hype great?
Hype and Facts are two different things. Hype is what we “think” our cars should be worth and saying they are worth it. Fact is what the cars are actually going for whether it’s a Viper or some other car. Right now the 96 is somewhat hype, I am the first to admit it. 15 to 20 years from now what they are selling for at that time will be fact and only a crystal ball can say.

Your two quotes are neither hype nor Fact but unrealistic.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your two quotes are neither hype nor Fact but unrealistic.

As is everything else that has been said about the value and desirability of these cars. Apparently, that blue / white is not that killer of a deal if it's still for sale :rolleyes:

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

. Apparently, that blue / white is not that killer of a deal if it's still for sale :rolleyes:
And how do we know it is? :dunno:

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man are you guys ever over-reacting to each other and over-thinking this whole thing. :)

The market is what the market is today. People can ask whatever they want for their cars for sale, but the market ultimately dictates the selling price. There are sales across the board on old GTS cars, with some pristine low mileage GTS BW cars being sold recently as high as mid $50's, and some others as low as the $30's. It depends on several factors, and it is obviously in our collective best interest that these cars hold their value well, or even appreciate.

I don't claim to have a crystal ball to the future, but I am about as big a car crazy guy as they get and have usually been right about predicting future value on cars that I felt would be considered classics or appreciate in value one day. One of the most recent ones I was right about was the Ford GT, and after a brief decline in value, they have now skyrocketed to at least $200k and up, and they will continue going up. I'm going to go out on a limb and agree with CNBC, Yahoo, and many noteworthy car publications in that the Viper is a modern day classic that will appreciate in value a great deal as time goes on. Some of you may have already noticed that some Vipers have been holding their values well or even appreciating the past year or two. I have noticed that Gen IV models, specifically 2008's have been holding their values very steady the entire past year +, and some GTS models, specifically 2002 FE, 96' models, and BW GTS models with low mileage to name a few, have even seen some appreciation in the past couple of years.

I fully realize that most/many of us don't buy or own our cars to wait and watch the values rise, but rather own them for the fun of driving them. But you also can't ignore the fact that pristine examples are doing well with their values on the market these days, and seem to have a very bright future in that regard as well... This is good news for all of us, and we should embrace it instead of shoot this idea down, argue, and call each other names.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man are you guys ever over-reacting to each other and over-thinking this whole thing. :)

The market is what the market is today. People can ask whatever they want for their cars for sale, but the market ultimately dictates the selling price. There are sales across the board on old GTS cars, with some pristine low mileage GTS BW cars being sold recently as high as mid $50's, and some others as low as the $30's. It depends on several factors, and it is obviously in our collective best interest that these cars hold their value well, or even appreciate.

I don't claim to have a crystal ball to the future, but I am about as big a car crazy guy as they get and have usually been right about predicting future value on cars that I felt would be considered classics or appreciate in value one day. One of the most recent ones I was right about was the Ford GT, and after a brief decline in value, they have now skyrocketed to at least $200k and up, and they will continue going up. I'm going to go out on a limb and agree with CNBC, Yahoo, and many noteworthy car publications in that the Viper is a modern day classic that will appreciate in value a great deal as time goes on. Some of you may have already noticed that some Vipers have been holding their values well or even appreciating the past year or two. I have noticed that Gen IV models, specifically 2008's have been holding their values very steady the entire past year +, and some GTS models, specifically 2002 FE, 96' models, and BW GTS models with low mileage to name a few, have even seen some appreciation in the past couple of years.

I fully realize that most/many of us don't buy or own our cars to wait and watch the values rise, but rather own them for the fun of driving them. But you also can't ignore the fact that pristine examples are doing well with their values on the market these days, and seem to have a very bright future in that regard as well... This is good news for all of us, and we should embrace it instead of shoot this idea down, argue, and call each other names.

I totaly agree.

Its clear thst most that own a 96GTS have a passion for it beyond its color and Viper status. It is what we owners of the 96 make it. A true Icon that deserves its status. Why some of you feel its not or shouldnt be, is beyond me. What difference does that make in your lives. If you own a Red 2002 or a Yellow 2001 or a 2006 or 2009 or a 1993?, In 1995 when the hype of the new 1996 GTS B/W was in magazines and then hit the shows, everyone was in ahhhhh of this car and what Dodge has done to the Brand. Putting it way behond the competition and makeing Viper owners proud of what they owned. Dodge new that this car was going to be such a big deal and was so confident on its stature, that it only offered them to prior Viper owners..!!! Can you believe that !!.. Wha other car in history did that??...which one?/ That in itself makes this car an icon. Even with that limitation, the car got sold out...so much so that dodge was not expecting to make a blue and white in 97 but with so much demand for the car, they made a limited run of @500 more that year but, saw the value of the car and charged extra for chrome wheels and the paint job.
What other car did that. Which other year Viper has such an impact on the Viper and its Status? The others that are collectable are as such because of their limited runs and one off color combos or Limited runs such as the 98 Championship edition, but, as a production model, the 96 GTS was the only car to fullfill that status. Wether any of you want to deny that or not. Its fact.
Why people continue to bash the car as just another run of the mill Viper and not put it in its place in history, is beyond me. everything points to that stature and it should be appreciated as one.

Not because I own one and not because I say so, but because it has been built for that purpose and had represented itself as one over many years over the competition.
I will continue to respect the car as such, not as an owner,but, as a TRUE Viper enthusiast. Not just a car lover. As some of you are and thus have a different view.

To the original poster.....I hope you can feel the passion of the 96B/W and become an owner to represent it as most of us owners do as well. i don't see any 2001 ACR owners chiming in and defending that car as such, although it is a special car and deserves its status as such. Its something about the 96 B/W that makes it that much more.

Enough said....look at both the cars as though they mean nothing to anyone and pick which one you are attracted to. its like picking out a girlfriend, you wouldnt ask anyone else whether you should ask her out or not, if you like her, you go for it, no matter what everyone else thinks.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:hug: Fellas, we are all viper bros here and we can all certainly agree on one thing...

ALL VIPERS ARE COOL NO MATTER WHAT THE COLOR OR YEAR!!!

RED, BLUE, YELLOW, GREEN, BLACK, SILVER, ORANGE, WHITE, BROWN, PURPLE, RAINBOW, MAGENTA, MAROON, STRIPES, NO STRIPES, GRAPHICS, DECALS, NO PAINT, METALLIC, CHROME, RUST,... hell even this mamba with the orange suede interior... http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/662737-***-!!!!-Why-would-you-do-this
:crazy2: Well,... maybe not that. And now for a brief word from our sponsors...:dance:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember when I first showed my Viper to one of my old buddies that used to have a GTO and a few other nice cars in HS in the 70's and was pretty rabid about cars back then but hasn't had much interest in muscle cars in decades. The first thing he said was I thought they only made that car in blue with white stripes so I brought him up to date... So anyway the Blue and White is iconic but so is a 64 1/4 mustang with a 289 and the pony interior but we all know that a nice 65 or 66 Shelby GT350 will fetch more cash. Not the best analogy here because of all of the other factors but you see my point.

I totaly agree.

Its clear thst most that own a 96GTS have a passion for it beyond its color and Viper status. It is what we owners of the 96 make it. A true Icon that deserves its status. Why some of you feel its not or shouldnt be, is beyond me. What difference does that make in your lives. If you own a Red 2002 or a Yellow 2001 or a 2006 or 2009 or a 1993?, In 1995 when the hype of the new 1996 GTS B/W was in magazines and then hit the shows, everyone was in ahhhhh of this car and what Dodge has done to the Brand. Putting it way behond the competition and makeing Viper owners proud of what they owned. Dodge new that this car was going to be such a big deal and was so confident on its stature, that it only offered them to prior Viper owners..!!! Can you believe that !!.. Wha other car in history did that??...which one?/ That in itself makes this car an icon. Even with that limitation, the car got sold out...so much so that dodge was not expecting to make a blue and white in 97 but with so much demand for the car, they made a limited run of @500 more that year but, saw the value of the car and charged extra for chrome wheels and the paint job.
What other car did that. Which other year Viper has such an impact on the Viper and its Status? The others that are collectable are as such because of their limited runs and one off color combos or Limited runs such as the 98 Championship edition, but, as a production model, the 96 GTS was the only car to fullfill that status. Wether any of you want to deny that or not. Its fact.
Why people continue to bash the car as just another run of the mill Viper and not put it in its place in history, is beyond me. everything points to that stature and it should be appreciated as one.

Not because I own one and not because I say so, but because it has been built for that purpose and had represented itself as one over many years over the competition.
I will continue to respect the car as such, not as an owner,but, as a TRUE Viper enthusiast. Not just a car lover. As some of you are and thus have a different view.

To the original poster.....I hope you can feel the passion of the 96B/W and become an owner to represent it as most of us owners do as well. i don't see any 2001 ACR owners chiming in and defending that car as such, although it is a special car and deserves its status as such. Its something about the 96 B/W that makes it that much more.

Enough said....look at both the cars as though they mean nothing to anyone and pick which one you are attracted to. its like picking out a girlfriend, you wouldnt ask anyone else whether you should ask her out or not, if you like her, you go for it, no matter what everyone else thinks.