Considering Selling

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With the turmoil in the economy, I am considering selling my snake :( I am a small business owner and want to make sure I have capitol for any possible upcoming "cold winters".

What is a fair listing price for a 96' GTS w/ 10.5K miles?

The car is in great shape and would come with:
-18" front & 19" rear CCWs along with 80-90% tread PS2s
-A Short shifter that I never installed (in box)
-HID headlights for heads and fog lights (in box)
-$5K+ audio system

What is a good listing price if I wanted to unload the car in a month or so?

FYI: If I do sell, I will certainly be back! Nothing compares to the power of a Viper baby!

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is a 96, I would suggest putting back the stock wheels if you have them and sell your CCW's seperately. Same for the audio if you can.

You are not going to get much (if any) return on your mods. Buyers for 96's are generally looking for pure stock cars and will pay more for an unmodded car.

Prices are all over the place right now (not sure what price to give you) and you are selling at the worse possible time - bad economy and winter is arriving.

If you can hold onto to it until Spring it would be better.

Really sorry you are considering selling.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey kermudgn,
When are we finally going to run into each other?
Did you go to Vipers on Peel street last August? It was nice to boot around downtown with reckless abandon in the parade.
You still as meticulous about your car? Did you drive it anywhere this year?

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am still not positive I am selling...I am torn between financial liquity and my favorite toy.

Perhaps I will list it and let the market decide what happens!

I was thinking about listing it at viperalley's classifieds. Anywhere else I should consider?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about listing it at viperalley's classifieds. Anywhere else I should consider?

Well, here on viperclub.org, would be one place, although it does have a fee for non-VCA members. And then there is Autotrader, cars.com and eBay. Just treat eBay more as a classified ad than an auction.

V

Venomiss

List it here in the classifieds for $30 if you are not VCA.

viperpalmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to agree with most of the people here. Now is not the time to sell. I have an 97 with 600 miles that I can't seem to get a solid number on. Cars that use to bring 40s are in the low 30s to high 20s (a number I never thought I would hear when associated with a viper) You got to ask yourself is the finicial liquidity worth the possible capital loss.

bvk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah damn economy, it made me not buy the twin turbo subaru manx buggy I was going to last week.... the gods of fiscal responsibility (and my wife complaining that she can't get into the garage as it is) are having their effect!

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey jwbond,

i'm trying to sell a 96 b/w with quite a few more miles than yours at 45k...and only had to lowball offers. the market is not good for selling right now. mine has gotten a lot of views but no real offers... good luck...i would hope you could get 45k for yours too...but today, who knows?:rolleyes:

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i saw a 96 or 97 b/w sell at a local dealer for 32k with about 30k on it in 3 days. (I called one day too late!!)

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must do what you must do to survive in the present and so would I and everyone else. That being said and your car a first edition gen 2. How much could it be worth in 10-20 years if you can hold out not alone factoring in the enjoyment of driving/owning a piece of history. Its over. There will be no more. GTS Bruce

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as places to list, viperclub.org is a GREAT place. This site has sold something like $24 million in cars and parts. It'll be $30 well spent as far as exposure.

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I was hoping for at least $45-50K. Fortunately, I am not in trouble by any means yet... I have enough cash to live with no income for about 4 months. Selling the Viper @ $45-50K would buy me about another 3-4 months. I was just thinking of liquidating it for now so I know I'm prepared for anything the economy throws my way.

I drove it last night. As always it put a huge smile on my face and I decided that Sneaky Pete is part of the family and he stays! Now that I see how bad the market is, he DEFINATELY stays.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
List it here in the classifieds for $30 if you are not VCA.

:dunno:not an expert but me thinks even in this economy his car should go for more than $30.:rolaugh:

It'll be $30 well spent as far as exposure.

even re forum posting - timing is everything:D

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I was hoping for at least $45-50K. Fortunately, I am not in trouble by any means yet... I have enough cash to live with no income for about 4 months. Selling the Viper @ $45-50K would buy me about another 3-4 months. I was just thinking of liquidating it for now so I know I'm prepared for anything the economy throws my way.

I drove it last night. As always it put a huge smile on my face and I decided that Sneaky Pete is part of the family and he stays! Now that I see how bad the market is, he DEFINATELY stays.
I think your thinking is right on with the 45 to 50 price range but as everybody is saying, nothing is selling right now for any price. I would keep it and wait until the economy is starting to pick up.

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually the Gen II vipers are going to start to climb in price as they are starting to become rare, and are highly desirable.
Car Collectors have confirmed that cars depreciate to their lowest point 10 years after they roll off the lot. After 10 years they hold steady for a few years then they start to climb with inflation. A 1996 reached pretty much its lowest value in 2006. It should be holding steady. Then again there was a bunchof other jargon about model year change. So that means you would be measuring all Gen II's against a 2002 since that was the last model year. So you are looking at depreciation until 2012. After 2012, the Gen II Vipers should start to gain value over inflation. I would not sell before 2015 if you are looking to profit from the Viper.

Plus why sell such a beautiful car? The market goes up and down. I don't depend onthe market for anything but my retirement.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the Gen II vipers are going to start to climb in price as they are starting to become rare, and are highly desirable.
Car Collectors have confirmed that cars depreciate to their lowest point 10 years after they roll off the lot. After 10 years they hold steady for a few years then they start to climb with inflation. A 1996 reached pretty much its lowest value in 2006. It should be holding steady. Then again there was a bunchof other jargon about model year change. So that means you would be measuring all Gen II's against a 2002 since that was the last model year. So you are looking at depreciation until 2012. After 2012, the Gen II Vipers should start to gain value over inflation. I would not sell before 2015 if you are looking to profit from the Viper.

Plus why sell such a beautiful car? The market goes up and down. I don't depend onthe market for anything but my retirement.

I semi agree with you although I think "most" gen II's have hit rock bottom already and will either stay steady for a little while or some of the nicer ones start heading up. Of course a lot depends on what the economy does. :dunno: :confused:

Last edited:

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I'd sell my house and downsize with no mortgage and pocket some cash before selling my GTS. Housing has at least another 20% to drop and that is more relative depreciation dollars than on the Viper. In addition, the Viper will appreciate more in the next 10 to 20 years than any house will. Good luck.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you want to unload in 1 month, advertise it very well (auto trader, cars.com, here, viperalley, craigslist, local papers), send lots of high quality pictures, provide detailed maintenance, care and modifications lists, fix any little things that are off (rear glass struts for example) and 43-45k will do it.

IMHO I would put the car back to stock 100%, sell the CCWs and sell the 5k worth of stereo crap on ebay. You will not recoup any of the stereo or rims cost selling with the vehicle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte