coolant in the paxton S/C

wbexxon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I should know but I figure it never hurts to ask. To check the coolant level in the air cooler should I just take the cap off and look in or turn the key on and open it and look? One more question for you guys ,Has anyone dynoed their SRT with a paxton install by Woodhouse? If so could you give me approximate numbers? Im thinking about dynoing mine but was wondering what to expect.
Thanks
Brian

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woodhouse uses a dyno facility with a Mustang dyno. They will be dynoing my SRT Ram next Friday(ish) after reviving her from a rod puching the block a few weeks ago. Average numbers for the SRT Ram at the crank are around 750/750 at 8psi of boost. Not sure how different they are on the Viper.

If you use a Dynojet the numbers will be different and on the higher end. Good question on the coolant, I know when I got mine it didnt have any in it.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think it was a matter of who installed it (who by the way never tuned the truck after installing it, which the prior owner I guess never asked him to...but thats part of another story) but the dealership listed in my sig did not (i dont believe) check any of the fluids (which were all low) just to start things off.

They also never told me it had nitrous/propane injection when I purchased it nor the amount used. I think it was a major player in my motor eventually throwing a rod...I had only driven the truck maybe 30 miles since owning it.

Anyway, I dont think there is a way to check the intercooler fluid unless you get a flashlight and look inside.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I check the intercooler level every once in a while. However I feel the intercooler temp most times after driving by just feeling the housing. If it is cooler than the surrounding underhood then all is ok.

I have never had any loss of coolant with it. It did take a few fills initially to purge the air out. BTW what is everyone using for coolant? I am using a 25 percent anti freeze and 75 percent water mix.

As to power the stock Paxton produces about 700 crankshaft hp. Higher claims without additional work is balderdash. It is not magic. Take the standard 510 hp at 14.7 psi and add the 8 psi from the Paxton and you get 785 hp less the hp to drive the supercharger (approx 60) and you have 725. But, you need a less aggressive f/a ratio and spark advance which eats up the 25 leaving you with 700. No magic. Anyone who tunes for higher is playing with fire. Obviously additional mods can net you more.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never had any loss of coolant with it. It did take a few fills initially to purge the air out. BTW what is everyone using for coolant? I am using a 25 percent anti freeze and 75 percent water mix.

The intercooler temps should never reach a level where there would be any coolant loss.

Personally I would try to keep the anti-freeze level to a minimum inside the IC. It is actually a pretty poor thermal conductor, and unless it's required based on your region, i'd skip it all together. Distilled water with some water wetter or like product would be a far more efficient solution.

Living in Michigan it's understandable to have a little in there though.

Reaction score
We use a 25/75 percent coolant-to-water mixture. I prefer using only a "green" colored coolant in the after-cooler so if you detect a coolant leak you can decipher between an engine or supercharger system problem.

Hope this helps,
Doug

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I use green coolant in mine. Same mix as above. I fill it to just a few inches below the neck. No issues in 15 K miles.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also use green glycol. I fill it right up to the neck and have not had an issue. Yhe primary reason I use 25 percent is for corrosion resistance. Don't think mine will see freezing temps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala