Coolant Leak???

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,

I was driving home this evening and noticed my temp gauge rising, so I immediately pull over to check out what the problem was.

I noticed there was a leakage on the passenger side firewall area and also it made it to the backside of the motor (underneath the intake manifold, between the cylinders) I noticed it was near the heater core area, so I figure it maybe one of those hoses, but I'm not sure if it was able to spray all the way into the cylinder area. Any ideas on where this leakage maybe? I certainly don't want to drive the car, and need to try and get a fix ASAP. Thanks!!!!

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, did some more tests to the car in the driveway. The leak is coming directly on the center line of the car, at pretty much the firewall.

It leaks 2-3 drops a second until the car is warmed up. After warm up, it leaks underneath the car much faster (7-8 drops a second). This can only lead me to believe a thermostat housing, but was hoping to get some more thoughts. Anyone have some instructions on a fix on this? Thanks!!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Er, the thermostat housing is just under the inlet manifold at the Front of the engine, so if the leak is near the firewall at the rear of the engine it would not be the thermostat.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common problem for the Gen I cars. Great time to put in a 180 degree thermostat. You will have to replace teh gasket. Call Chuck Tator, 914-763-3136, He help me with mune and got the gasket from him very quickly.

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a DIY somewhere? Also, is it just the thermostat gasket that would be leaking? Where is the thermostat located at the rear? Thanks so much!!

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I removed the windshield wipers and cowl to further inspect. I cannot visually see the leak from the top, and it's not a massive leak at the rear of the engine. Is there a coolant pipe underneath the car somewhere that I'm missing??

Crossover pipe looks fine, as well as the thermostat housing, unless I'm missing I can't see from the top.

It's leaking non-stop now, and has gotten worst.

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found my culprit!!! Couldn't actually see it from top, but had a nice slash on the underside. Caused a bunch of smoke since it was spraying everywhere, but surprisingly the car never actually overheated, this cool GA weather kept it cool.

Anything else I should check, I get paranoid when the car runs hot.

Attachments

• Hose!.jpg
    Hose!.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 51