coroding side sill's

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
coroding side sill\'s

How many of you guy's have this problem and what can you do about it. My car has 7000 mile's on it and there are a couple spot's on the side sill's that are starting to bubble. I know they are aluminum so I imagine you would have to have the bad spot's cut out and welded up but what's to stop it from showing up somewhere else. The wierd thing is mine are doing this in spot's where there are no rivet's?

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: coroding side sill\'s

Dan (at Dans's auto) did mine over a year ago. They look today like brand new. They were just like yours full of holes....

PS. Tomas, I will be in Helsinki Thu-Tuesday....
I heard the beer is cheaper now, so I'll have to check it out myself!!! Hah, Haa!!! (actually my brother will be 50)

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper1996, This problem is terrible and affects thousands of people, not just hundreds. Many don't even know it's going on since they aren't connected like we are. Resolution ends up being stripping, fixing, painting, etc. and many have had Dodge pick up part or all but it depends on warranty, relationship, state you live in, etc.

One thing that is common is the heat relationship. Stock cats either currently running on car or being on car for a time before switching out create the problem.

Fix the sills but fix the exhaust. A stock cat will eventually get everyone some day.

OP
OP
V

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I knew the exhaust was a problem because of the heat. My 94 side sill's were actually warped before I had them fixed.

The 96 came off the truck from the factory, went straight into the shop and had a full borla exhaust kit put on from header's to exhaust tip's. My side sill's really don't get hot. The car had 214 mile's on it in 2002 then was driven 6000 mile's in one year before I bought it.

I guess I'll have to make that one of my project's this summer. Just hate to have them fixed and wait till more corrosion show's up.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now that is an interesting post. I've tracked the side sill corrosion issues and this is unique. Almost all the others had the sills exposed to the factory cat heat for at least some length of time.
It seems like others have had them repainted and changed their exhaust and never have problems again.
This frustrates me.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had my cats removed on the '95 within the first 2000 miles. I had the bubbling in the infant stage (just starting) in 1998 and had them replaced under warranty. Not sure I could make the heat connection. However washing and putting away wet seemed to be an influencing factor (i.e. not driving after a wash and drying out the sill inslation).

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The side sill corrosion issue (non-rivet) is not directly related to heat (though I'm sure it exasperates it) but rather to the moisture absorbing nature of the OEM side sill insulation used on earlier Vipers (<99?).

This pressed fiberous insulation is metal coating on the exhaust side, but uncoated on the sill side. When washing the car or driving in rain, the insulation becomes damp (water enters primarily through the top of the sill underneath the plastic door sill) and could take weeks to dry. Think of how many times you've washed the car and put it away for a while..... During that time corrosion can occur either because a staple (used to attach the metal skin) scratches the inner sill or just because the paint is weak at a particular spot. Newer Vipers (99+?) and replacement sills have fully encased side sill insulation which virtually eliminates this issue. Unfortunaly, you can not buy this undated insulation alone.

Solution? I took out my insulation, high temp painted the inner sills and covered the exposed insulation with a thick aluminum foil. Problem solved? Too soon to say, but I'm confident it can only help.

And yes as Craig states, it's not a matter of if, only when.......

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ron, This post should be printed and mailed to every Viper owner, maybe the VCA can help. I've researched theories such as the bi-metal rivit which didn't turn out to be true and multiple variations of heat causing this but your explaination has nailed it. All other factors are just symptoms that slow or speed it up.

Isn't it interesting that my 95 has never been in water, never in rain, never been washed. Just Zaino sprayed after driving. Water has never been on the inside of the sills. Don't start ripping on me, I bought it two years ago with 800 miles. I have absolutely no signs of corrosion or bubbles or anything.

Now as a preventative measure since I have the rivits, I replaced cats and sprayed the exhaust side of the rivits with high temp spray.