corsa dbl?

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dose any one know the dbl on a 3" corsa cat back OEM cats.
This is the only change I've made but Laguna Seca has a 92 limit.
Will I pass?
Thanks,
Dan

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope.

My Corsa 3" + hi flo cats = 114 dba. as measured at a 90degree angle 15 ft away in the shop bay while on the dyno.

A stock gen 1 sidepipe car will exceed the limit at laguna. Your corsa 3" alone will definitely put you over, you'll have to lift and be nice and quiet going past the sound booth.

Also, the laguna limit fluctuates, could be 90, 91, 92 etc, but it will always be too low ;-)

dadsvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i sent email to corsa on this. they replied that what is critical is to know how far the sound meter is from the car (makes sense). i believe at laguna seca its 50 ft between track edge and listening device. so i guess really what the question should be is what is the loudest the exhasut would be with a listening device 50 ft away?

Jason

dadsvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i also understand there are some tactics to work around this. send me an email if you are interested. i'm not sure if its a good idea to post what the work around is (due to it working around the system so to speak), its very easy and makes common sense though. hint, it could impact your track time by making it slower in a particular section of the track.

Jason

OP
OP
Fast Viper Dan

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason, I tryed to email you but it came back. Please email me.
Thanks, Dan

Mark, Your car is loud. Inside the shop it is even louder.
Dan

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is Laguna soooooooooo worried about sound levels? I mean, within reason? I also have HF cats and Corsa 3" cat back, but I am sure the average Harley rumbling past me on the street is far louder than my Viper (no slam against Harleys, just a reference...The Viper with the Corsa is not exactly defening...)

Tomer
96 RT/10
PS Never been to a track...BUt I am on a wait list for an event at Laguna...Maybe I will get DQ'd?

Reaction score
The sound measurements will vary with air density assuming everything else is constant. It is also my understanding that the meter is 50' from the track edge. A Stock RT was black flagged at 92 db and did also pass the 92 db limit, weather conditions was the only known variable. Tricks to get around the limit, short shift leaving turn 5 or stay in 4th(not a much fun), keep to the left side of the track going by the sound meter, by the bridge, hope you are less than 90-92 db. Shifting early to 4th allowed me to run my 97 GTS with Edelbrock headers, Borla Cat-back, K&N filters. It was pretty loud. Dan I have a db meter, same model, used at Laguna. In case you want to compare stock vs your mods. the numbers on the dyno will not correlate as the dyno makes sound, the sound gets refelected from the building walls, and the 15' is a lot worse than 50'.