Corsa Exhaust System - Observations

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's coming up on a year (next week) that I will have had the pleasure of having my RT-10 for one year. It's like an anniversary for me. Knock on wood, I haven't gotten into trouble with it and I'm out there driving it anywhere between 28 and 31 days a month
smile.gif
depending on the month. Yes, it's my daily driver.....my only ride....and most of the time the top is off.

It wasn't until a month ago that I ventured into deep territory for modifications, at least for my modest standards. Previously, Smooth tubes, filters and some MGW accessories were the full extent of of my "mods." Oh, I forgot about the Mopar mats. OK...the XM radio was STEP UP.

Anyway, a month ago I ordered the Corsa 3" Exhaust system and the Random Tech High Flow Cats through Jon B at Parts Rack. Sidebar....the man came through with flying colors with a most timely delivery. As far as the product: Craftsmanship at it's finest. I'm admitedly no expert and due to the additional time involved with the cats, I decided to have my Local Dodge Viper Tech do the install. Yes, that's right...Dodge did the install.

I was honestly a bit apprehensive when I came to pick up the car. I was nervous that it might be too loud. I had read on this board that when the Corsa 3" exhaust system was COMBINED WTIH the HF cats, one could expect a distinctively louder sound. (than with the stock cats) In retrospect.......I really couldn't compare. I've never heard JUST the Corsa (except on the Corsa website)

So I go to pick up the car. Honest first impression: I was a little disappointed when I turned the key. The car sounded like a truck. But man did my impression change FAST once I got rolling. Yes, idle (particularly at start up) was a bit like the Buster Brown truck. Once you get goin' though............forget it! Rev the engine or punch it and it's MUSIC TO THE EARS. Not condoning mashing it here but I must admit my frequency of hole shots, sideways slides, and unsolicited burnouts have spiked since getting the Corsa.

Other observations include stock cockpit drone now almost being gone. Downshifting has now become an absolute pleasure as the procedure is now accomanied with pleasant "burble." Cockpit heat is also down and the side sills are now warm instead of skin sizzling molten. (unless I get on it)

All in all, it's BY FAR the best thing I've done to the car and I can't imagine making the car any tighter than just the way it is now. No more mods....I'm done....happy. Don't need or want the headers. OK....maybe the gears.
smile.gif
Very happy with the current set up. I fully recommend this system (with the HF Cats) to anyone who may be on the fence about it. Man, I sure was...just ask Jon B. I must have called him half a dozen times.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said vvviperman.I too have the Corsa, -cats/with Balenger headers.To add,I think balenger's sound at the tips are sharper,cleaner race car sound at idle,than Corsa's.I think the ultimate set up would be Balenger complete system + add two straight through mufflers in the side sill and weld on Corsa tips or a stainless steel pencil angle tip!I know Lou @Balenger is working on optional tips available.$.02

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinion Marc! I plan on adding the exact same mods to my car over this summer, so I found your post helpful. BTW, did you dyno your car afterwards? Any idea on the HP gain?

Will

ssssssnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too am considering the same mods. I was told by Dan Cragin that for my 2001 GTS they do not yet have a solid header due to the oxygen sensors. I really want headers, has anyone heard of this? I was thinking with going with headers, corsa catback, with high flow cats. Not too sure about the headers now after talking to Dan Cragin. Any ideas on this header issue?

Thx Mark

OP
OP
V

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive comments. I haven't had the car on a dyno yet. From what I've heard there are nominal hp increases 25 hp or so.

Just took a look at my old avatar and realized those are the stock tips! They look so strange. This is the excuse I've been looking for to get another picture.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I've only had my Corsa on for a few days and I love the sound. I actually think the best sound is the initial startup. Just an explosion...

I'm really interested in Hi-flows and Bellanger headers, but I'm too worried about volume to follow through with it. I think the Corsa is actually a little on the loud side, but now that I'm used to it, it's perfect.

I'm thinking I'll take the header and HF money and pay off a Roe supercharger.

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I have a different setup, mine is the same way with the start up and idle sounding a little truckish.. but man, you have NOT lived until you've heard my car in 3rd gear on the interstate floored going under a bridge. The echoing and screamin is almost deafening with side pipes. Exhuast is a must do mod! I LOVE my car!

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,
I agree, the sound is great, and probably the real choke point on the exhaust side is headers and Cats.

Here are the Dyno Numbers I obtained Wednesday, 6/5/02. The ONLY addition to the car, from the previous runs, was the addition of Corsa 3" CAT BACK. I can post the Dyno sheets, but probably not necessary. The car has Smooth Tubes, and Sean Roe Air Filters, and were on the car for both runs. Again, ONLY the Corsa 3" Cat Back System was added for the run, (#2) today (No Headers, or High Flow Cats).

RUN #1 03/30/2002
RWHP 401.1
RWTQ 459.1

RUN #2 06/05/2002
RWHP 405.0
RWTQ 468.1

Was I disappointed in only a small gain?, perhaps a little, but the torque stepped up, and the sound is superb. My wife said the exhaust was quieter inside (road noise the same, no windows in), but out the back, just as nasty only a deeper pitch sound. I must mention the ease of installation; On jack stands (the car, that is), on my back (me).

I also received this from another Viper owner:

"Corsa 18 HP claim is BS. On my 2001 Creampuff, stock except for smooth tubes & S&B Filters:

Before (9800 miles): 406 HP, 448 torque
After (14000 miles, add Corsa 3-inch, RT hi-flow cats): 414 HP, 452 torque

However, I am 100% pleased with Corsa exhaust: good sound at idle, no drone at cruising speeds, great sound when you get on the throttle, great tips, fit perfectly. As far as additional HP, I didn't expect any, didn't really gain any. The dyno test after the exhaust installation was strictly for research purposes.

Overall, I would heartily recommend the Corsa to anyone."

Later,

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,Just about any of the headers will work.I have an 01 GTS.cdi headers,no cats,3" ss pipe to 3" corsa cat back.Without cats you will need syms from apex or through jon b and the front ox sensor must be mounted in a primary tube rather than the collector.ON the cdi header it could be mounted in either place.In the colector it won't heat up fast enough and will throw a chek lite/code code. Bruce

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the lengthy and objectove observations, a good consesus from most of our customners who chose the HF cat at the same time....

Belanger Headers solved the "01-02 Check Engine Dilemma" and we have had ZERO cases of lites with the Belanger Header built specifically for 01-02.

The R+D took several months, but its NOT an issue....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth