Corsa upgrade on Gen III for Audio Geeks!

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally got off the fence about upgrading my stock exhaust - thanks Chuck and Jon B. for all your help with it!

Of course being an audio geek I "needed" to record, measure, and assess the difference between stock and Corsa Track 3" in terms of sound levels. :D

First, the setup:
3 mics fed through a PreSonus DigiMAX LT into an Alesis HD24 @48khz/24bit.
All recording levels set during "sound check" with stock exhaust and left exactly the same for the later Corsa recording.
...I thought I left enough of a cushion for the increased volume on the Corsa, turns out I still clipped the recording deck on WOT with the Corsa, so those sound clips sound like fuzz, but the recording is measurable at everything below WOT.

The mini rack on the garage floor:
You must be registered for see images attach

Mics
Rode NT1-A placed on shockmount 3' from the ground, 5' away from the right-rear wheel, capsule parallel to the ground.

Matched Pair of Earthworks QTC-30s on stand in passenger seat, spaced slightly wider than human ears

Results:
I will follow with the audio clips as soon as I come up with a good way to share them... Might just mean cutting together a video - In the meantime here's some hard data:

The Corsa is certainly putting out a higher SPL at every RPM, from idle through redline, but in many cases it doesn't feel like it's that much louder. The Corsa kicks out a HUGE jump in frequencies below 50hz, even as low as 20hz (which is the fq at which we no longer "hear" it, just feel it). At 31hz for example the Corsa kicks out almost 20 db more than stock at idle. The increase in low frequency pushed the recording level up by almost 10 db overall, but in some fq ranges the difference is much less pronounced. For example at 100 and 200 hz the db level is almost exactly the same for Corsa or Stock. Sound in that mid-bass range around 200 hz is far more intrusive than a nice 30hz rumble, so parity between Corsa and Stock at those fqs is a big plus, and helps explain why the car doesn't seem that much louder. As for the tone "quality" I love it! (of course that's subjective but worth mentioning, more growl/bite from the Corsa makes :drive: :headbang: :) )

Here's a spectral analysis of the sound, Viper at idle, from the mic positioned outside

STOCK GEN III EXHAUST - outside mic

CORSA TRACK 3" CAT-BACK (stock headers and cats) - outside mic

And here's the spectral analysis at idle, mics positioned inside passenger seat, in this case with top and windows open - when I get the closed up clips matched and exported I'll post those graphs as well.

STOCK GEN III EXHAUST - inside passenger seat mics

CORSA TRACK 3" CAT-BACK (stock headers and cats) - inside passenger seat mics

Before jumping in, I also watched this vid from the SoCal Club, which is excellent and covers some different territory - http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...video-viper-dyno-day-exhaust-sound-tests.html

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work...so if I'm guessing right by looking at the graphs, the Corsa makes more of a difference outside the car than it does inside the car??

Cheers,
George

10BamBam01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:lmao: That's awesome! Thanks so much for doing this. As a fellow audio geek also looking into an exhaust upgrade, I really appreciate the time you took to do this. Good man! :2tu:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 03 I just bought has a Corsa, and I know at idles it rumbles and grunts like a beast. What a different sound than the Zoomers on my SRT8. I had a Borla on my V10 Ram years ago, and it never sounded this good.

This Corsa makes the Viper sound like, well, I don't know, but low and mean. You can feel it.

LucimerOhmZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I can run some tests and check how much you need to put your foot on the throttle to turn the alarms of other cars on.

I am guessing you probably do too. Nice Info man, and absolutely nice viper.

~Omar

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Corsa uses sound cancellation technology which means nearly no restriction. I love the sound of both my Corsa gen 2 cars.

My 2000ACR has a Paxton Supercharger, Hi-flow Cats and Corsa street exhaust. Sounds similar to my 2001, but much much quieter.

My 01 has a Roe supercharger, Headers, Cat delete and Corsa track exhaust. Loud and awesome, get compliments all the time.