Corvette Flambee!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posted this in the General Discussion area, not sure it belongs here either but its worth a look.

Turn 8 at Road Atlanta, the Corvette no-lift-shifts and misses.... causing big-time overrev and fairly dramatic results. Camera car is a CMC Mustang; this was in a DE session, not a W2W race!

[media]http://vimeo.com/17843110[/media]

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure of the benefit of no-lift shift on a road course, but its a decent place to practice it if that's your inclination.

The block broke and, per a pal of mine, identifyable pieces of internals (pistons, connecting rods etc) were found on top of the control arms. Ouch.:omg:

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure of the benefit of no-lift shift on a road course, but its a decent place to practice it if that's your inclination.

That is called playing with fire and now he knows why people made up that expression. No need to no-lift shift at a DE.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's too bad.....

I don't know why anyone would do a no-lift shift - unless you had a gearbox designed just for that - or hated your car.

Anyway, it looked like a nice car that was apparently abused to death.

Greg

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shoulda had a viper

I know the no lift shift is pretty popular for the 1/4 mile...I would have thought his rev limiter would have prevented this?:dunno:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normal for the f458 i thought...vettes just usually try to make burn out vids and blow the clutch??????

MichaelThurston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers have been known to miss the up shift and catch a lower gear. This tends to lock up the rears and spin the car into the walls. Saw the patches of paint on both sides of the track at Road Atlanta.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers have been known to miss the up shift and catch a lower gear. This tends to lock up the rears and spin the car into the walls. Saw the patches of paint on both sides of the track at Road Atlanta.

Cars don't miss upshifts - drivers do.

Greg

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May have not been an over-revving issue (don't know if Corvettes can "over-rev", thought they had rev limiters). This wasn't a mechanical over-rev from mis-shifting was it?

Same thing happen to two Z06 drivers I know on open tracks, both 2006 Z06's. There is definately some sort of flaw in the motor of those cars. GM would not cover it under warranty since they claimed he was on a race track, hence racing...even though it was a documented high performance driving school event. He actually went to arbitration and lost.

Same explosion like fire, actually melted his rear tail lights!

Nothing that approx a $35k Katech replacement motor didn't fix :(

Could have had a very nice ACR for the price of a Z06 and motor upgrade, with better brakes and a more robust platform.

Cheers,
George

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think one of the guys in the Mid-South Region recently did this on the last get together. I wasn't able to go but I'd heard someone down shifted & I think he went into first instead of third & went thru a fence & into a pasture before he came to a stop. I don't think anybody was hurt, just maybe a bruised ego & a new paint job.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May have not been an over-revving issue (don't know if Corvettes can "over-rev", thought they had rev limiters). This wasn't a mechanical over-rev from mis-shifting was it?

Same thing happen to two Z06 drivers I know on open tracks, both 2006 Z06's. There is definately some sort of flaw in the motor of those cars. GM would not cover it under warranty since they claimed he was on a race track, hence racing...even though it was a documented high performance driving school event. He actually went to arbitration and lost.

Same explosion like fire, actually melted his rear tail lights!

Nothing that approx a $35k Katech replacement motor didn't fix :(

Could have had a very nice ACR for the price of a Z06 and motor upgrade, with better brakes and a more robust platform.

Cheers,
George

I agree, and that's what I thought (and probably what actually happened) since it'd be hard to overrev it THAT much with the gas pedal, given the rev limiter.

That was his story (at least as told to me) ....I'm just the reporter:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4