Cost of painting a non striped coupe

cobraman484

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking for a 00 or 02 grey striped coupe. I haven't found one I liked enough to buy, the ones I have found were already taken. There were a couple I looked at that were nice but had no stripe so now i'm wondering, if I come across another one should I stripe it and also how much would it cost to do the job right. I'm very fussy when it comes to paint and finish. Also, would putting a stripe on a non striped viper devalue it. If there is anyone who knows about a nice one with fairly low mileage would you please let me know. Thanks.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you ever considered using vinyl instead? Supposedly the results are very, very similar (atleast according to those who've done it here)...this way you can remove it without leaving any residue incase future buyer prefers an all stock viper. Not to mention it will be alot, lot cheaper.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was quoated 2500 to 3grand to put stripes on my black 2000 gts. changed my mind and kept it all black,

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was quoated 2500 to 3grand to put stripes on my black 2000 gts. changed my mind and kept it all black,
That is what I was quoted. I also changed my mind and had them painted on versus vinyl. Vinyl is nice but painted looks lots better.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a detailer shop close to Indy that has so far done a good job on painting what I've given to them. Billy Jays. He and I have discussed making my Race Yellow into a bumble bee. I have not asked for a price, but if you are interested, I will ask.

I mentioned vinyl, and he threw up. :)

BTW, he has a Steve McQueen "Bullitt" Cobra sitting in the driveway, as I walk up. Completely restored. Too cool.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have serious reservations about putting painted stripes on a car that didn't originally come with them. A lot of people don't like stripes, so your going to somewhat limit the resale market and most people like the car to be as ****** as possible. Putting stripes on is a serious aftermarket change. The other factor that is a consideration is to do it right they have to dismantle the car. We all know how thse cars are all shimmed together on the assembly line so I would be worried about the fit when it's reassembled by a paint shop, especially the hood.

OP
OP
C

cobraman484

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have looked at some past posts on using vinyl and do not really like the idea. I have never seen one with vinyl but the thought of trying it just doesn't set well with me.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did my own paint.
The stripes are a PITA.
need bumper cover (F/R) off and also took off rear finish panel. not easy, and took about 6 hours to mask off. I heard that the factory uses laser to setup their lines. I used nylon lines as guides from front to rear.
Then test fitted and adjusted for alignment.(still not close to perfect).
In my experience, in FL, the vinyl is good 4-5 years then delaminates.
so...$3k is what factory charged later on and it is probably what you find out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang