Coupe HP Solution?

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if the coupe was sold with a Paxton kit in the trunk, as a dealer installed option? Would that appease the HP freaks?

Dodge would likely experience some small warranty costs, but development costs would be 0, and an SRT so equipped would certainly lay waste to both the GT and the Z06.

The stuff in the trunk strategy has been used on production vehicles in the past, so the idea isn't completely insane.

BTW, this also presumes Paxton is close to getting an EO# for their SRT system, making them 50 state legal (Paxton's earlier Viper systems are 50 state legal).

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all for more power but I really don't want to see the car come from the factory with an S/C nor as a dealer installed option. It's a cheap way to make h.p. at the manufacturer level.

It would be really awesome to see them go wild with a DOHC completely new V-10 with variable valve timing and all that neat stuff.

S/C's are to manufacturers as is NOS to the aftermarket turning scene. It's a simple way to make big power.

BTW does anyone know the real meaning of "Kompressor"? It means all the good engineers work in Munich.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DOHC variable Valve timing will make the engine too complex and too costly to manufacture and maintain.

They should stroke th eblock to a 525 block.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"It would be really awesome to see them go wild with a DOHC completely new V-10 with variable valve timing and all that neat stuff."

Watch them do nothing instead.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig,

Maybe they could cut long holes in the SRT hood so that those DOHCams could pop through?????

With the way the styling is going I wouldn't be surprised that the viper is turned into the next dodge challenger based on the LX platform. There is plenty of space in there

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The solution is sitting right in front of them:

SL65 ! They can even get about 670HP from that with nothing more then computer mods.

:headbang: :headbang:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A paxton kit in the trunk..... lol maybe as an optional package for those that want it, but not as standard.

The Viper was primarily a road race car that could beat most anything - down the highway, at a track or down the strip too.

A SC is a bad choice for road racing - so not for the Viper owner that likes to club race often. Too much heat and then there's the belt issues if it's wound up too high. No serious road race car runs a belt driven blower - it's just a bad idea for endurance road racing, fine for street use and a bit of strip work.

The Viper has 500 cubic inches and with Hemi heads, careful selection of components and tighter blueprint specs - that engine could easily make 700+hp at the crank and be a daily driver. The technology is there.

For those that want more there is the Paxton option, or the mother of all power adders - turbocharging - for those that want to spend the extra to get the best.

I don't see the factory wanting to get into forced induction unless they go for a smaller engine or decide to make a much more expensive car.

The aftermarket industry would love a 500 cube Hemi V10 to play with. It'd make DC famous all over again like in the muscle car era!

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if the coupe was sold with a Paxton kit in the trunk, as a dealer installed option?

Don't forget about the mo-sticky tires that you would need to go with it to put that power to the ground. Paxton + run-flats = spin cycle

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting a blower in the trunk is the best solution, rather it is a realistic solution, leading to a 600HP "factory" motor, compatible with SRT's budget (a budget incompatible with many of the "better" alternatives).

Blowers may not be the height of fashion in modern road racing, but Ford seems to have used them to good effect on street cars seeing occasional track duty, including the brand-spanking new GT. That said, I agree with Torque that blown cars will likely melt down if subjected to sustained track duty, hence my acknowledgement of some warranty claims (still vastly cheaper than a new motor development program).

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree with jrkermode - blower (and tires:) would be the easiest shot.

The whole AMG program is SC'd, there is nothing wrong with it.

As for the track use I think that the idea of current engine/tranny is ill as a whole. Crucify me, but I think that smaller displacement/higher RPMs/fast-sequential-gearbox would beat existing configuration.

M5 engine/SMG tranny in a viper chassis would make for an awesome car.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As for the track use I think that the idea of current engine/tranny is ill as a whole. Crucify me, but I think that smaller displacement/higher RPMs/fast-sequential-gearbox would beat existing configuration.

Automatic??? Clutchless????? you are a *****!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lol

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a hole in the floor of the Viper like the Fred Flintstone mobile, you could use "foot power" to aid torque and HP?

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you ever drive M3 with SMG boy? I have one (04 M3cvt) at home and I can tell you you are never going to shift faster in anything manual. In this respect SRT's clunging slow shifting drivetrain (still way better then vette) is like a dinosaurus.

Just a little education for you - SMG is not automatic. It is a manual gearbox where machine shifts instead of you. You tell 'machine' when to shift and it changes the gears for you. Clear?

SMG allows for much better use of powerband available. There was the same huge discussion among M3 ******** few years ago with ******** saying 'there is nothing like to feel the clutch'. Today it is over. All ******** drives SMG.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you ever drive M3 with SMG boy? I have one (04 M3cvt) at home and I can tell you you are never going to shift faster in anything manual. In this respect SRT's clunging slow shifting drivetrain (still way better then vette) is like a dinosaurus.

Just a little education for you - SMG is not automatic. It is a manual gearbox where machine shifts instead of you. You tell 'machine' when to shift and it changes the gears for you. Clear?

SMG allows for much better use of powerband available. There was the same huge discussion among M3 ******** few years ago with ******** saying 'there is nothing like to feel the clutch'. Today it is over. All ******** drives SMG.

SMG is nice but not for a Viper.....Viper aint supposed to be high tech teutonic techno wizard that drives/shifts for you...Its a drivers car...If you want that techno gadgetry to help you drive there are plenty cars out there like your M3 to suit that need....The only electronic aid I want to see on a Viper besides abs which it already has, is defeatable traction control...Thats it...The Viper has always been about man vs machine...Thats part of its mystique/heritage...I dont want it to turn into a Corvette clone with all the electronic aids...

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to turn into opposition here. SMG is no more electronic then hand, leg and pedal together. Traction control - yes, electronic. SMG - not at all. SMG IS all about the driver and the car because you can shift faster and use the engine powerband better. You can imagine SMG as a 5th generation 'short shifter':)

Offcourse - if you don't want to shift fast and prefer the excercise and stretch your leg and if you prefer having your right hand off the steering wheel when shifting getting into or out of turn then SMG is not for you.

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Offcourse - if you don't want to shift fast and prefer the excercise and stretch your leg and if you prefer having your right hand off the steering wheel when shifting getting into or out of turn then SMG is not for you.
Not for me then. I love feeling the gears and synchros in my hand, and the engine through both my feet. I tried an SMG M3 but it was (IMO of course) absolute [******]. I'd never, ever buy one. The complete lack of feel and control for slow speed (<3mph) maneuvers, terrible uphill manners and total lack of clutch control really made it feel like I was driving a... well, I don't know what it was but it wasn't enjoyable. Maybe for a daily traffic driver, but then I'd might as well just get an automatic.

For pure racing? Sure. But I drive for pleasure and the few tenths the SMG would save me just isn't worth the tradeoff.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree on a slow speed factor, SMG is really not made for walking up the car or stop and go traffic. it is not good substitution for an auto tranny. I found the beauty of SMG in a spirited driving through canyons going upward from 70% of what I can do with the car on a given road. Simply when I have to keep both hands on a steering wheel in order to stay on the road.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one think that the blower-in-the-trunk option would be awesome for the short-term, along with a R-Compound tire option.

With reliable boost levels you can see between 650 and 700HP (crank), and then the Viper will start to be compared again to the Ford GT, Porsche CGT, and Enzo. Rather than being compared to the newly-improved Z06, and the next SVT Cobra.

The Viper is NOT about high HP/L, or technically complex (read high maintenance) engineering, and it's NOT about paddle-shifting (although that's fine for other cars).
But it IS all about superior performance. Which a supercharger option would provide simply, reliably (for street and some track use), while keeping the price under $100K. :laugh:

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I could care less if it's faster, it's *** as hell. Would you want a machine to pump your wife because it can do it faster? It's all about the feel and experience.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually..... the 65 series is twin turbo v12. Maybe you should stick to telling people how to run their forum.

Eddie

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A S/C Gen III is ABSOLUTELY LUDICROUS!

The car has been exceptionally refined and should not be inflicted with such barbaric means of increasing hp.

And yes, I own a 500 horse S/C AMG Merc.

More efficient N/A engine or TT's are the ONLY WAY for an all-around performer like the SRT!

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A S/C Gen III is ABSOLUTELY LUDICROUS!
The car has been exceptionally refined and should not be inflicted with such barbaric means of increasing hp.
More efficient N/A engine or TT's are the ONLY WAY for an all-around performer like the SRT! -BAD_VPR

You must be registered for see images