Coupe or Vert - Any track restrictions?

keverow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first Viper in the next two months and am I'm interested in is getting into recreational racing. I live in the Northeast so I have afew options for tracks but I'm curious if you've found any restrictions prohibiting verts on the track. I like the idea of a vert but if it means I won't be allowed to track it, then a coupe it is. Thanks for any feedback.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about every track day organization I know requires real rollover protection in a vert, and the Viper's fake hoops don't cut it. Even if you were allowed without a roll bar, I wouldn't want to. I put an Autoform roll bar in my Gen III for track days.

You mentioned "racing", but I'm assuming you mean track days. If you're looking at racing, a coupe still won't be enough, as you'll have to put a cage in it.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are shopping for a trackday car, get a coupe.
Plain and simple.
Nothing against verts, but this way there's no worries about any particular club's or track's rule about what type of bar you need.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure to search or post about recommended modification to oil pick-up for SRT10. I think that there is a recommended upgrade but I'm not knowledgeable about the Gen 3.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about every track day organization I know requires real rollover protection in a vert, and the Viper's fake hoops don't cut it. Even if you were allowed without a roll bar, I wouldn't want to. I put an Autoform roll bar in my Gen III for track days.

You mentioned "racing", but I'm assuming you mean track days. If you're looking at racing, a coupe still won't be enough, as you'll have to put a cage in it.

I did the same, Autoform and good to go, scca approved etc. But yea, if you mean actual racing then you're into a cage regardless of vert or coupe. If it's trackdays then just check if your tracks do a broomstick test or not, that's the only other item on a vert, if you're too tall you may need a seat lowering kit too, I went 1" down on the seat.

OP
OP
K

keverow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more clear, I was referring to track days. From a drivability standpoint, how much difference is there between a late Gen II and Gen III coupe? The Gen III's seem to be in shorter supply, when I look at all the usual suspects; Cars.com, AutoTrader, Carstosell ebay etc, there are far more vert's than coupes. Is this a function of production #'s or
coupe seller's not wanted to give up their cars?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Gen 3 only made coupes for one year (2006). Gen 4 has the option for either from the get-go.

OP
OP
K

keverow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 3 only made coupes for one year (2006). Gen 4 has the option for either from the get-go.

Well, that clears that up so I guess I'll have to recalibrate my expectations. I was hoping to get into a nice coupe with under 20K miles for mid $40's, it looks like my options now are spend more money for the 06 or move to the Gen II. From general drivability perspective (weekends and occasional track days) how much of a difference is there between the cars? I've read that from a breaking standpoint, even with
ABS, there wasn't that much of a difference and the GenII brakes could be upgraded to address some of the shortfall.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen2 to Gen3 is night and day difference.

I loved my gen2 but it is a touchy beast at the limit. I tend to push it, IMO why be at the track if you're not. My gen2 saw a few 360s here and there I can tell you and I'm not a slouch driver as a few who've ridden with me can attest to. Once the gen2 breaks you have a nats fart of time to recover, and it can break without warning, like you're on a rail and bam you're swinging out. Again, I loved it but the gen3 is so much easier to drive when pushing it. Now the gen4 is a major step again, although not as much, due to the differetial, the gen4 diff is amazing IMO, I'm comfortable doing Tokyo drift in the gen4 without a beed of sweat. But $ is always the question.

I'd try to at least go gen3. But you'll see as many post the gen2 is the best viper ever made, lol. Having owned them all (except a 5), I love each gen, but for different reasons.

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more clear, I was referring to track days. From a drivability standpoint, how much difference is there between a late Gen II and Gen III coupe? The Gen III's seem to be in shorter supply, when I look at all the usual suspects; Cars.com, AutoTrader, Carstosell ebay etc, there are far more vert's than coupes. Is this a function of production #'s or
coupe seller's not wanted to give up their cars?

Gen3 brakes are far better than Gen 2. If you are going to track the car a lot and go with a Gen 2, you might feel the need to upgrade the brakes, which is not a cheap project. Just condsider that during your research. I think I spent about $6k upgrading my old Gen 2 brakes when I destroyed them at Hallett in Oklahoma.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a "Lemke" removable hard top and have not had a problem at any track, including COTA.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Well, that clears that up so I guess I'll have to recalibrate my expectations. I was hoping to get into a nice coupe with under 20K miles for mid $40's, it looks like my options now are spend more money for the 06 or move to the Gen II. From general drivability perspective (weekends and occasional track days) how much of a difference is there between the cars? I've read that from a breaking standpoint, even with
ABS, there wasn't that much of a difference and the GenII brakes could be upgraded to address some of the shortfall.

I don't think you're way off on prices for a gen 3 coupe, but hitting that mileage might be a little tougher. I know I've see the coupes in the 40's in the past when I was looking for mine a year and a half ago. My parents have been recently looking as well and found a few of them around that price range, but I think probably more like 40-60k miles.

OP
OP
K

keverow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the sanity check, 40-60K miles is more than I want and I'm willing to bump up the investment for a lower mile car. On an
unrelated note, what has been the experience with the cabin heat resulting from the exhaust placement. I've read unbearable to not a concern
any realistic thoughts? Its not going to impact my decision but just from an awareness point of you, I'd like to know.

Thanks for all the great feedback so far!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have stock cats and a catback on my 04 that eliminates the crossover pipes behind the seat. For the most part the heat doesn't bother me too much, though the footwells can get just a little warm on longer cruises and hotter days. I usually attribute that to being a few inches from 100+ degree asphalt though as my 71 Vette has rocket hot floorboards even with insulation and no side pipes. My parents just got an 03 with a stock exhaust and I'd say it's a little warmer, but haven't had much seat time to compare. Just turning on the floor vents is usually enough to keep my feet happy, even without A/C. The circulation is enough to help flush the heat out in my case.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats and getting rid of the crossover makes a huge difference.
Another major difference maker in a vert (or a coupe with the windows down) is getting a 2008+ hood.
The vents in the 2003-2006 hoods end up blowing the heat from under the hood back at the windshield. That heat then wraps around the windshield into the car and cooks you when stopped.
The vents in the 2008 hood are much bigger and send the heat more straight up instead of around the windshield.