crank bolt loose.... again??

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2004, and last summer it started squealing like crazy!! I brought it in, and the crank bolt loosened, and the crank shaft damp and pulley assembly were too far forward and that bolt had loosened up too. I'm looking at the service records right now, and they say they used locktite and checked to see if it was all aligned again.

Well, it started to squeal again. Not as loud, but this is how it started last year! I don't really want to go back to the same dealer seeing how it is kind of "small town", and I am definitely not a do-it-yourselfer. They do have a viper tech though.... Anyway I am 19 and know wayyy more about cars than my dad does and want to be taken seriously when we bring it in. What should I make sure is done or said or whatever?? Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Oh and I have done some researching with the search feature, just wanted a more personalized response.

P.S. Anyone in Michigan or the MCVO or better yet in the Grand Rapids area have any dealers to recommend!?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
better have the damp and bolt inspected,somtin aint right there.make shure its the correct bolt for shure.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Need to confirm diagnosis...and, upon inspection by an experienced Viper Tech, confirm that there has been no damage to damper and/or crank.

Crank damper bolt and bore in crank needs to be CLEANED thoroughly, then apply the Loctite. Many would advise torquing to 160 lb-ft instead of the usual 130 per Manual.

You might call Autoform in Holland,MI and ask them for advice/service help.

Hopefully, Motor City group will chime in.

Good luck.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ATTENTION: If the dampener bolt comes loose, the dampener has moved/spun! DO NOT RE-USE!! Get a NEW dampener & bolt!!!!!! :bonker:

Red loctite, proper torque and a pinning kit is a good idea too! :think:

This will fix her! :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang