Why does my parking brake get loose?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes when i pull my parking brake it seems the wire is really loose. The handle pulls all the way to almost vertical. Then I pump the handle again and it seems like it spools up and the tension is tighter. Then the handle gets tight around 10 oclock. Is there a spring or something that is not pulling up the wire? How can I get it to tighten up?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This happens to my car occasionally. I don't know exactly what causes it, but I have had issues with the torsion springs getting coil-bound on the rear caliper levers and the levers getting stuck. The handle mechanism in the cockpit has greased teeth that dry out over the years, but I don't think that has much to do with the stickiness.

I assume it's probably the self-adjuster screw mechanism inside the calipers that is the root of the problem. I periodically remove the pads and rotors, then screw the pistons back in all the way, pop the cable ends out and work the levers with a Crescent wrench. It seems to help for a while.

WHY U TRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does this as well on a 2000. It's rare but I have seen it happen. Just like you said, I pull up and it's basically lose. I put it back down and this time when I pull up on it, it's snug and working normally.

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does this as well on a 2000. It's rare but I have seen it happen. Just like you said, I pull up and it's basically lose. I put it back down and this time when I pull up on it, it's snug and working normally.
So have you fixed it or just leave it as is and keep pumping the handle each time?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen this issue mentioned more frequently around the web of late and I've suffered from it for a while myself. One of the prime symptoms is pulling the handle and having it go vertical with no resistance. You can then ratchet it a few times and it will sort-of work normally.

Several years ago, I did a complete suspension and brake detail (off the car) and found one of the parking brake caliper levers had frozen. I put the caliper in a vise and got on the lever with a large pair of channel-locks square and in-plane. I was able to break the actuator lever free and work it thru the full range of motion, then reinstalled everything. It was better for a while, but has been problematic again lately.

I just did a seasonal flush of all the old fluid out of the brake system, then pulled the rear pads and rotors off one side at a time. I used a medium set of needle-nose pliers to engage the 2 retractor holes in the piston face and ran the pistons out until the dust seal just began to unseat from the piston groove. I sprayed cleaner inside it and gently twisted the seal a bit to make sure it wasn't stuck. I turned the piston back into full-retracted position, then cranked the hand lever a few times to extend the piston. I next sprayed silicone lube inside the boot, then spread some silicone grease in the seal groove with my finger and screwed the piston back down flush again. I manually screwed the piston out and in about 10-12 times to insure the mechanical screw mechanism was working freely. I greased the floating caliper slider pin a bit and pulled the caliper back and forth several times to make sure it wasn't binding. Lastly, I spread a small dab of silicone lube on the face of the piston where it contacts the inside pad, then reinstalled the rotor and pads. I moved across the car and repeated the process again.

I've driven several times since doing the work, and the parking brake handle and self-adjusters seem to be working better than they have in 15 years or more.

Attachments

• R brake line.jpg
    R brake line.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

jkroberts21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 94 I just picked up. Most of the time it works fine. Periodically it pulls all the way up

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are you saying the solution is to do a brake cleaning and maintenance? Why would the lever pull all the way up with no resistance? Is it because something is not engaging?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would the lever pull all the way up with no resistance? Is it because something is not engaging?

I think the only part of the system that provides resistance to the handle & cables are the torsion springs that engage the caliper piston manual actuator arms. If the arms don't swing back when the lever is lowered, there is cable slack on that side and the equalizer bar in the console is crooked from uneven cable tension. There could also be grit and corrosion accumulating between the piston housing and the actuator arm that needs to be cleaned out.

Attachments

• G1-2 Rear caliper inboard.jpg
    G1-2 Rear caliper inboard.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21