Crank Seal Change Out

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a little follow up on my timing cover gasket / crank seal project. ...Had to put another seal in cause it looks like we nicked it slightly on the edge of the pinned hole going back on a couple weeks ago. We had not removed the oil adaptor...just the oil lines....and that made it tougher to get the entire assembly in. We put the seal in the timing cover while on the bench the first time around. For those with pinned cranks, it may be better to install the seal after the cover is back on. The edge of the drilled hole is definitely a cutting surface when trying to work the assembly back in.

As a follow up, this morning we replaced the seal in an hour start to finish. ...All from the bottom. I was able to stand on the brakes enough, with the car in the air, to get it torqued to 250 pounds. All is now back to normal again!

Steve

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just went through the timing chain cover gasket replacement routine. Just for practice when I got the TC cover off, and while leaving the old crank seal on, I tried to fit the cover back on. While trying to 'feel' and twist the cover to get the oil pump to engage on the flats of the crank, I rolled the seal. So..... for me at least, it was a lot easier to put the cover back on without the seal in, and then install the seal after the cover is bolted in place.

BTW, for you out there that has to pull your pinned balancer and try to line it back up with the slots in the crank, I found an easy way to do it. You eyeball down the shaft hole of the balancer and make a mark on the very edge of the balancer shaft hole with a magic marker. Then, sit the balancer back on the crank shaft and while usng a small mirror, line the black mark up with the groove in your crank. Run your bolt down as you would normally do. Worked perfect. Best to do it from under the car, or at least that worked best for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62