Crazy to Replace ACR Wheels with I Forged ??

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been drooling over the I Forged Astra's and love the 5" deep dish in the back. The BBS ACR wheels are nice, and I know they are getting harder to come by, but there is a group buy going on right now that is over tomorrow.
The problem is if you want the 5" dish in back you need to order the Precision series which doesn't come in 18". That means I need to order new tires also.
My car is already not a stock color because I have steel grey stripes so I am wondering if it would be crazy to sell the ACR wheels and get the I Forged.

What do you think?
Thanks for your opinion?
Gary

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never understood why people are so in love with the ACR wheels. IMHO they are awful looking and I would not even want them displayed in my garage. With that said, if you are worried about the change, keep the stocks so you can go back in the future.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an ACR car, you might get a buyer that would want the ACR wheels if you even decided to sell the car. So first I would say, decide if you are going to have the car for quite some time. If so, I would say go for it. The only reason I say to think about it is because to find an ACR set of wheel is a nightmare, especially for a resonable price.

Personally, I would say go for it. I just purchased I Forged Classics in 18s an can not wait to get them. Personally I wanted the ones that you want but I did not want to go 19 and get new tires all around. I decided it would be a lot cheaper to do 18s.

Let me know what you choose. That is a VERY nice choice you have there.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do plan on keeping the car for the forseable future, but I don't think I can afford to buy the new ones and not sell the acr wheels which is forcing me to make this difficult decision.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if you are keeping the car for quite some time, sell the ACR's since the I Forged wheels you picked are going to really set the car off, and they will be very rare on any Viper. What finish were you going to choose?

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you will kill the resale value of your car if you sell your BBS wheels. An ACR without the BBS wheels is worthless in my opinion. If you cannot afford keeping the BBS, sell your car and get a nice non-ACR you can mod the way you want with the difference of cash you will make.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do plan on keeping the car for the forseable future, but I don't think I can afford to buy the new ones and not sell the acr wheels which is forcing me to make this difficult decision.

Then your crazy. Keep it pure. New wheel designs will come and go. The ACR wheels are limited production like the car.

I like the oem 5 spoke myself but if the car is an ACR :headbang:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think people get antsy (sic) wanting to improve or personalize these Vipers. I think they are the American Ferraris and you don't see Ferrari owners changing their wheels and customizing their interiors to try an improve upon perfection. JMHO

20 years from now a stock ACR Viper will be pricless at a Barrett Jackson auction. IMO

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary ...you have excellent taste. The wheels will not affect the resale value and they will really give that paint a LOT of snap...I say do it and you'll NEVER regret it . People will see you coming from 1/4 mile away ...did I mention they'll look AWESOME with that paint color...if you don't do it cause of the cost..I'll personally start a wheel fund for you and kick in out of my own pocket. HOW"S THAT!!!!!! Everbody's got an opinion..I back mine up with $$$$$$$$$$$$

btw..those stock wheels make me yawnnnn ( I'm sure when you go to sell it someone with an ACR will be happy to trade you :nana: :2tu: :rolleyes:

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am in the same position as this. I know for resale purposes the ACR's without the wheels lose some good money. They are very desirable and almost impossible to find or buy another set. I wish i could afford to keep them and buy aftermarket wheels but i cant, and i dont want to sell the BBS wheels either.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i too think an ACR for sale without the origional wheels at least in the deal as a second set is a -minus. but who knows, the guy who buys your car could love your wheel choice. those 19" iforged will look amazing.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Being a 99 ACR I would keep the BBS. This is the choice year, package,
and (argumentivly) colour combo. If you really like the IForged just
watch here or ebay in the coming years and I'm sure a set will go very
cheaply. No aftermarket wheel has re-sale, but the BBSs have increased
in value in the past half decade.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SYNFULL, I've been debating the same thing, but with the rarity of the ACR wheels and the fact that they're part of what make an ACR, I can't bring myself to trade them for something else. I'll just have to save my pennies until I can afford a new set and put the BBS's in storage.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys all have very valid points and I thank you for your imput. One thing I didn't mention, and I am sure this will have a big impact if, and when I sell the car- is that it has a salvage title. Of course that fact can swing both ways- The car will be worth a more with the original wheels and worth less without.
The set I am contemplating is all chrome.
Thanks!
Gary

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their is no comparison IMHO. The iforged take the looks of the car to a whole new level. It's what makes Vipers stand out among other Vipers.

Sell the BBS, and go balls to the walls 19" Front 20" Rear, 5" lip in all chrome. Hey, do it right the first time. :)

Better hurry, you only have until tomorrow!

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How Much for the ACR wheels ???

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys all have very valid points and I thank you for your imput. One thing I didn't mention, and I am sure this will have a big impact if, and when I sell the car- is that it has a salvage title. Of course that fact can swing both ways- The car will be worth a more with the original wheels and worth less without.
The set I am contemplating is all chrome.
Thanks!
Gary

Chrome. Good call!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Do what makes you happy. Nice wheels, however, the 5 spoke design is integrated with the lug holes. What will they look like with 6 lug holes?

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DD
That is a good call there. That is the pic they are posting on the alley. I will have to find out about that.
Thanks!
Gary

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the ACR wheels. At a minimum, delay the purchase of the new wheels till the spring/summer of next year and keep the BBS to allow you to get both. Once they are gone, replacement is super difficult.

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SYNFULL,

Having a salvage title will probably affect resale value more than the absence of the original ACR wheels, however as a salvage car it wouldn't really surprise me if it didn't have the original wheels.

As an ACR owner and very recent purchaser, I was specifically looking for an ACR if I could afford it, and the presence of the ACR wheels was VERY important to me.

I'm not really a fan of chrome or anything the least bit shiny on a Viper, especially a silver one so I'll leave it at that. Because the wheels are so close in color to your car it does make them look a little dull. If it was my car I'd powdercoat the wheels the same color as the stripe if you're itching for something to set it off a bit. IMHO the ACR wheels look great on cars with silver stripes. Chrome, if you go that direction generally look better on cars that are darker colors, and do not have stripes. Silver and Chrome I just don't get. Sorry, thats just me.

That said, let us know what you're selling your ugly ACR wheels. And yes, when I posted a picture of my car when I had just got it, someone posted that those were the ugliest wheels they'd ever seen. If so, they can't be worth more than $1000 for the set so let us know. :2tu:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just going to say Chrome the ACRs as well. Always wanted those for my car as well but never became available so I went with Chrome stockers.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chroming the BBS wheels isn't much better than selling them - either way, the ACR is no longer "stock".

I say you are "lucky" in that your stock wheels will bring enough to cover the cost of some cool IForged.

Go for it - and post pics!

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chroming the BBS wheels isn't much better than selling them - either way, the ACR is no longer "stock".

I say you are "lucky" in that your stock wheels will bring enough to cover the cost of some cool IForged.

Go for it - and post pics!

I've thought about that (chroming) but it doesn't give you the deep dish what is what really impressed me - my friend just brought over a new mercedes with the 5" dish in the wheels and I couldn't take my eyes off of them. It made the car.
I just don't know what I am going to do. Lot's of great feedback here. The thing that bothers me about doing it is when I think of an ACR I picture it with the BBS wheels. If I saw a car with the I Forged I would think that it was not an ACR.
Well I'll let you all know what happens. I have been trying to get throught to I Forged to ask them questions about sizes, shipping costs, and where to get tires since I haven't been able to find any 19" or 20", and all I am getting is voicemail so far.

Thanks!
Gary

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ACR wheels are awesome. I would keep them whether or not you end up getting the IForged. The BBS wheels are a selling point for the ACR, I even looked for a set for my non-ACR because they are sweet. Ended up just getting the BBS LM's because the ACR wheels were too expensive. If you are even thinking about re-selling your car in the future, then keep them.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole big-lip-wheel fad will be comical someday. Probably within the next five years. Buy them if you want and store the ACRs as is.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find that the best way to get in contact with I-Forged is to contact them via American Online Instant Messenger. Although it sometimes take a few minutes for them to get back to you, I find they always answer. Here is their information:

AOL IM: IFORGEDALLOYS

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang