Crystal Cove is DEAD

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and the Irvine company killed it. :(

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/local/article_1295069.php

Auto event hits bump in road
Irvine Co. says gathering held at Crystal Cove Promenade needs to move on.
By JEFF OVERLEY
The Orange County Register
NEWPORT BEACH – Gentlemen, start your engines somewhere else.
That's the message being delivered to a popular weekly gathering of auto aficionados, who every Saturday morning for the past three years have filled the Crystal Cove Promenade shopping center with Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches and the like.
What began as a small sunrise powwow among friends has blossomed into a spectacle with 200 exotic cars and 600 spectators. The event now boasts a glossy newsletter, a Web site, even a small apparel line.
The get-together, officials say, may have become a victim of its own success.
The Irvine Co., which owns the shopping center, on Monday announced that after Oct. 14, it would no longer allow the event to be held on its property because of the size and noise complaints from adjacent neighborhoods.
"This started off as a small, loose-knit gathering," company spokesman Bill Rams said. "Over the last three years, it's evolved into this large-scale event."
Despite an order to decamp, organizers are vowing a fight.
"How are they going to stop their patrons from coming in?" asked Marc Greeley, co-founder of the event. "Am I going to drive in and they're going to say, 'No, you're a car guy, get out of here'?"
For some time, the Irvine Co. has blocked the center's entrance until 7 a.m. to keep things quiet during pre-dawn hours.
This year, police stepped up patrols and ticketed speeders leaving the two-hour gathering, resulting in a mellower event, said Bill Hartford, Police Department spokesman.
And Greeley says he's put the kibosh on efforts by local car dealers to use the Saturday event as a virtual showroom.
Some nearby residents say they enjoy and even attend the gathering. "I don't have any problem with it at all; I think it's great," said Josh Sitea.
But homeowner Raul Varela was among those who described a Saturday morning din of revving engines. "It's a complete deterioration of the peace and quiet that the coast is supposed to be about," Varela said.
The search is on for a new venue, but supporters expect an uphill drive.
"It's tough to find. You've got to find a place you can put 200 cars and 600 people and it doesn't bother anybody," said Newport Beach Councilman Ed Selich, who occasionally brings his black 1949 MG sports car to the event and appreciates the prime Crystal Cove views.
"And that was a great location. How do you find another location that even compares?"

TXViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No wonder. I've waiting for a coupe weeks to download their new videos but none has come out yet.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really a shame.

The SoCal group was just there, and our Vipers fit right in. Amazing group of cars and their owners. Right on PCH with ocean view cruising coming and going.

Kids would just stand on the corner, watching and listining to their favorite cars drive away. Great way the instill the automotive spirit in our future.

For those of us fortunate enough to have been there many times it is time to appreciate what we had, and morn it's passing.

CRYSTAL COVE > > > RIP

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted about it on f-chat already. It will keep going, but we're trying to revive it back to the car guy hangout, rathern than a who's who of south county spectacle. No worries, it will continue, but likely in another location fairly local to Newport.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Fashion Island? Thats not a bad idea, since its got so much more parking room.

Doesn't have the charm though, that Crystal Cove shopping center has.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently negotiated a lease with the Irvine Company and my company is currently doing our build out in Tustin, California. Let me tell you they are a big ugly gorilla of a company to deal with - but I guess when you own 90,000 acres of land in Orange County you can be that way.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Irvine is a nice place to live in, been here since 1985.

But when we did some elevators for them, I found out how harsh a climate it can be to do business with them.

You ever see those old WW2 era blimp hangars in Tustin? They are reportedly the "largest unsupported all-wood structures in the world".

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You ever see those old WW2 era blimp hangars in Tustin? They are reportedly the "largest unsupported all-wood structures in the world".

Worked out them for 4 years while in the Marines. I moved away from Tustin in 1998, but I understood that they were going to tear 1 hangar down and leave the other up as it was a National Landmark. Are both still up? Have they done anything with the Tustin or Irvine bases? I had heard they were going to put like 20,000 homes on the Irvine base and the old Irvine base housing since that cargo airport idea got shot down, is this correct?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those blimp hangers are so large they create their own weather patterns. Sometimes it rains inside. Lots of critters live in there. It's own eco system.

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
Passing this along........

ATTENTION ALL CRYSTAL COVE ATTENDEES

My father, Larry Kordower, General Manager of the Ten Restaurant Group (www.tenrestaurantgroup.com) has just announced that he be the new host for the Saturday morning Crystal Cove meetings. The Ten Restaurant group is located at 4647 MacArthur Boulevard Newport Beach, CA 92660. This location is perfect because it has a huge parking lot, and is located in an area with no residential restrictions (meaning no hassle from the police or anyone, it is in a business district). The parking lot is located two minutes away from John Wayne Airport, off the corner of MacArthur and Campus drive. Please send this out to as many people as you can. If anyone organizing the event has any questions, please feel free to call my father, Larry Kordower at (949)-290-9466 (cell). This will go into effect starting Saturday, October 21st at 7:00 A.M., and will be a weekly event with no ending time (stay as long as you want). Pass it on!

Thanks guys, and this is not spam. I am just trying to keep CC alive!

-Brandon

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Passing this along........

ATTENTION ALL CRYSTAL COVE ATTENDEES

My father, Larry Kordower, General Manager of the Ten Restaurant Group (www.tenrestaurantgroup.com) has just announced that he be the new host for the Saturday morning Crystal Cove meetings. The Ten Restaurant group is located at 4647 MacArthur Boulevard Newport Beach, CA 92660. This location is perfect because it has a huge parking lot, and is located in an area with no residential restrictions (meaning no hassle from the police or anyone, it is in a business district). The parking lot is located two minutes away from John Wayne Airport, off the corner of MacArthur and Campus drive. Please send this out to as many people as you can. If anyone organizing the event has any questions, please feel free to call my father, Larry Kordower at (949)-290-9466 (cell). This will go into effect starting Saturday, October 21st at 7:00 A.M., and will be a weekly event with no ending time (stay as long as you want). Pass it on!

Thanks guys, and this is not spam. I am just trying to keep CC alive!

-Brandon

Thanks for the pass along.

gthomas where did you find this?

Awesome marketing attempt by TEN.

Why in the world would I want to hang out in a parking lot by the airport.... :rolleyes:

There are no services like Starbucks, or the like there....

Unless they bring out the Go Go girls from the night club, I put the over/under of it making it at 3 weeks tops.....

Back to the golf course for me....

Fashion Island would be best.....

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Worked out them for 4 years while in the Marines. I moved away from Tustin in 1998, but I understood that they were going to tear 1 hangar down and leave the other up as it was a National Landmark. Are both still up? Have they done anything with the Tustin or Irvine bases? I had heard they were going to put like 20,000 homes on the Irvine base and the old Irvine base housing since that cargo airport idea got shot down, is this correct?
They are both still up for the time being, but some entity, public or private, needs to step up to the plate and maintain them, paint and such, and if no one wants to take care of them, they will both be torn down. Well, at least thats what I heard. As far as base housing, it has all been torn down, and some new condos have been completed, with many more going up now.

El Toro Marine Base is still undergoing plans to get turned into a Great Park, much larger than Central Park in NYC, along with office space, retail, residential, etc. The Irvine City Council is at odds with each other over the details, and the Great Park Planning Commision is mired down in political infighting. Some of the board members quit.

The future of the park looks "shady".
(Sorry, couldn't resist!) :)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Great runout, despite the rain forecast that didn't pan out. Nothin' but sunshine, exotic cars, and good lookin women.

How can the Irvine Company keep customers out of Crystal Cove? I mean, what if someone drives up in their exotic sports car, goes into Starbucks for coffee? Are they going to arrest him? I don't see how it can be enforced.

I've heard of two different alternatives- One is Fashion Island, and the the other PAG Ford in Irvine. (Has a Starbucks) Neither one has an ocean. 8*(

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
When's the last time you saw two Vectors, W8s, in one spot? Didn't see any Enzos or the McClaren F1, though.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like Ford has offered the use of their facility.

This from Autospies.com

Tags: Auto Meet Ford Newport Coast Crystal Cove

After being kicked out of Newport Coast by the Irvine Company, the weekly gathering of exotic and classic cars has been saved by Ford.

Ford stepped up and allowed the use of their PAG (Jaguar/Volvo/Aston Martin/Land Rover) facilities in Irvine.

The PAG faciliy will host the event starting Oct 21. The event may then rotate through different venues in the future.

http://crystalcovecarshow.blogspot.com/ Read Article

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When's the last time you saw two Vectors, W8s, in one spot? Didn't see any Enzos or the McClaren F1, though.

How did you miss the Enzo? It was ten people deep around it to see it.....

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang