Curious - Why do you have your Viper?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a Viper and do not use it for high speed and/or acceleration,of course lawful,why do you have it? Isn't it the same as having a work of art and never looking at it? A fine cigar and never smoking it? Ordering a great meal and never eating it? Just curious.

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I enjoy driving mine at slightly higher than posted speeds, all on a track, of course.
;)
My plate sums it up:
CNTDR55

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have a Viper and do not use it for high speed and/or acceleration,of course lawful,why do you have it? Isn't it the same as having a work of art and never looking at it? A fine cigar and never smoking it? Ordering a great meal and never eating it? Just curious.

LMAO! i've been asking people this the same question now for 9 years of living in scottsdale. you would be amazed at all the people out here with exotic cars and you would be lucky if they even did the speed limit. if you dont drive it like you stole it, then do yourself a favor and get a luxury car, its better on gas and a hundred times more of a comfortable ride.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Me too, I have a small package.......

Seriously though, Ive always wondered the same thing. There are some people who have never broken the speed limit in a Viper, Lambo etc, never once chirped the tires. To each ,there own, but I say then go buy a car to just cruise in.
For me, its all the wrong reasons. I want to be able to lite em up through the intersection, spin dougnuts in a parking lot, use all the hp/tq when acceling onto the freeway. But also be able to just cruise with the top down thru town.

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Because I'm an old motorhead & musclehead and I like smokin' the tires and being pinned to the seat. When I was a kid I wanted a Hemi Roadrunner or Hemi Dart and couldn't afford it. Now I have somethin' much better. The question might be why have a Viper and never drive it ?
CB

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The ACCELERATION of course! Sometimes I could use even more than what the Viper offers. Speeding? Of course, but never more than 10% or 5 mph! Maybe one day I get to move to Germany and live on the Autobahn <sigh!> The law abiding Finn in me prevents me from speeding. The only ticket I got here in six years is one citation, and it was for heavy acceleration. I never knew I did anything wrong. That doggum NC DMV guide does not even tell that heavy acceleration is illegal. How am I supposed to know that if the learning book doesn't even tell it?! The US is really a 3rd world country when it comes to driver education. In Finland you must answer 19 out of 20 questions correctly or you fail. Here in NC, you're allowed to fail 5 questions out of 25. In Finland you have to do your drivers test twice. Once in the summer, and once in the winter on ice to show that you can handle the car on a slippery surface. For the first year you are limited to 50MPH and are required to drive with a 50MPH sticker in the rear window. The same rules should be forced here in the US instead of the ridiculous rules in effect right now. You know the worst? My Finnish drives license is worth nothing here to DMV. It's like I pulled it out of a ******* jack box and I had to do the full driver test when I got my NC license. RIDICULOUS!

Peter

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I enjoy my Viper's acceleration and occationally drive over the speed limit. I don't know why people buy ANY sports car and enjoy it's performance.

Reaction score
The AC Cobra was my dream car when I was young. I enjoyed racing (Drag, Sprint Cars, Indy 500 Etc.) . My first car after college was a 1966 Fairlane 500GT. In 1969 I was ready for a new ride, I saw a used 1967 Cobra but instead bought a new 69 T-top 427 3x2 Corvette. My first big mistake. The Viper, raw massive performance, reminded me of the Cobra that I missed many years earlier.

I love the Viper's brute performance without driver Nannies.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple answer it is THE fastest/best handling convertable you can buy at a reasonable price. Anything else that is even remotely close costs $40,000-200,000 more

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answers are starting to swerve off of beig responsive to the original question. So, I will repeat the question. I know why those of us who actually use the car's power own it. The question is why those who do not use the car's power own it.

If you have a Viper and do not use it for high speed and/or acceleration,of course lawful,why do you have it? Isn't it the same as having a work of art and never looking at it? A fine cigar and never smoking it? Ordering a great meal and never eating it?

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answers are starting to swerve off of beig responsive to the original question. So, I will repeat the question. I know why those of us who actually use the car's power own it. The question is why those who do not use the car's power own it.

If you have a Viper and do not use it for high speed and/or acceleration,of course lawful,why do you have it? Isn't it the same as having a work of art and never looking at it? A fine cigar and never smoking it? Ordering a great meal and never eating it?

because I can

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Isn't it the same as having a work of art and never looking at it? A fine cigar and never smoking it? Ordering a great meal and never eating it?
Let's see... I suppose I'm one of those who gets just about as much thrill out of looking at it sitting in the garage as I would driving it around. Somehow, my 8 year old Mercury Mystique winter ****** just doesn't give me the same sensation. Also, I guess it's a status thing. Around my neighborhood there are probably more Beemers than Buicks. Some of my neighbors say it with their BMW, I say it with my Viper.

A Viper IS a work of art with its **** curves and lines and I enjoy looking at it just as I would any other nice piece of artwork. I've never smoked a cigar and don't even like the smell. I've ordered great meals before and I probably enjoyed them more by eating them slowly than gulping them down, just like I enjoy cruising around in my Viper without having to reach triple digit speeds to have fun.

And although I have a Viper in the garage I still pedal a bicycle to work 34 miles round trip nearly every day. I enjoy it. My co-workers say I'm an example of opposite extremes. :D

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well probably because they love the look and **** curves of the Viper.It's like when your young and see a super hot girl, you just sit and stare at her. Thats probably what they do in their garages.
OR
because its the ultimate car and just simply owning one is a pleasure in itself, just to get in a beautiful machine and go on a cruise knowing you can most likely destroy any car in your path and everyone knows it. It's sleak, it's ****, and it's YOURS and you wanna show it off, not fly by everyone. You care about others and having them enjoy the sight of the greatest car ever built....
Hows that sound? Its your cars, do with it what you want and enjoy!

I drive mine for those reasons and every other reason posted already in this post.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm old now....and I still stare at super hot girls..... I stared so long at the last one that she married me..lol.

I have always been a car nut and ever since the Viper came out I've loved them. I figure I'm still young enough to enjoy them and there is no guarantee that I will be here tomorrow and I don't want to go out of here with any regrets. I dont ever want to be that person that sits there and thinkks.. maybe next year...maybe when the kids get out of college... maybe when the house is paid for. You could find excuses not to do it forever and then it could be too late. Live life for today, not tomorrow. Oh ya.....I use the power. The acceleration is addictive and the feeling of cruising around knowing that at any time I could be doing 185 mph is priceless.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own mine for a combination of reasons, the awesome performance, the amount of low end torque (I'm a torque ******), the **** styling, exclusitivity, and the fact its American made! Its really nothing about the Viper that I don't love!

But to answer your question, I do drive it hard at certain times. Other times, I just drive it easy when I'm in one of my "cruising" modes. I don't track it because I can't afford to replace it and my insurance most likely won't cover me if it was a track accident.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one for each purpose:
The '96 GTS for track and speed
The '02 FE as a garage queen
The '06 for cruising, parades, etc.

My attraction to the Viper followed this order:
1. Appearance
2. Performance
3. Exclusivity
4. Value (bang for the buck)

Bob K

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had muscle cars in the old days, a couple of Corvettes over time, the last one I had owned for 10 years and it was pretty tame. A friend who had a Viper decided to down size and I was there at the right time. Bought the Viper and sold the Corvette and could not be happier. Looks and acceleration are over the top! I don't feel that I need to break 150mph every time I go for a ride but I am addicted to 2nd gear.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife wouldn't let me have a mistress....this was my second choice

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It very hard to have it both ways. IMO

When you get good at tracking the car, you beat the hell out of it. But if you just wax it and take it out for little cruses, you’ll never appreciate the cars true abilities.
I try to do both. Drive the car as much as possible, avoiding puddles, and track it at my own pace, avoiding the stone chips.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang