Custom Audio Pics - 98 GTS

Baron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently did a custom audio installation in my 98 GTS so I figured these pictures may be useful to some of you who are looking for ideas.

My goal with this project was to replace the entire factory system with one that can get really loud if necessary but not be something that attracts a lot of attention from people walking by the car and looking in the back window.

I'm working with a Silver GTS, shown below:

You must be registered for see images

The first thing I did was rip out the factory radio and replaced it with an Alpine 7995, which is a pretty high-end CD player with a flip down face. I chose it because it has a cool silver face which matched the car, but primarily because I can burn MP3s to a CD on my computer and then just pop the CD in this head unit. So instead of having some clunky CD changer in the back, all I need is this head unit and one CD which can hold a couple hundred of my favorite artist's songs.

The factory door speakers were the next to go. I replaced them with JL Audio 6.5" separates, which are outstanding. This was a pain in the butt because the doors would not accomodate the 6.5s as a simple "bolt-in". I actually had to peel the carpet back and widen the circular opening for the grill about 1/2 inch all the way around. After that, the carpet had to be replaced and the speakers were then installed. That was a one day project in itselft, but it turned out well.

Ok, onto the good stuff. The road noise of a Viper is pretty loud so I really wanted to make sure I had enough bass in the back to overcome any road noise without distorting at all. I decided to do a custom fiberglass enclosure in the spare tire well for one JL Audio 15" sub and an amp rack for two JL Audio Amps, one for the sub and for the speakers in the doors. The sub amp is a JL Audio 500/1 which is a one-channel 500-watt mono amp. The other amp is a JL 300/2 which sends 150 watts to each door.

The reason why this was done primarily in fiberglass was that I didn't want a ton of particle board or MDF weighing down the rear of the car. Another reason is because I needed an enclosure that could conform to the contour of the floor in order to get the air space I needed for the sub to function properly. Here's a top view.

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't want this to be something that people could just walk by and see all the time. So I made a snap-in panel that would cover the whole thing up.

The "stealth panel" is one of the few things actually made of wood. The picture below is a look at it from the backside. 13 guage perforated aluminium was used for allowing the sound to escape from the sub, and for allowing heat to rise up from the amps. The aluminum also serves as a fairly sturdy floor that can hold whatever you may want to throw in the back. I put quite a few six-packs in the back and the aluminum didn't bend at all.

Before the enclosure was fabricated, the entire back of the car was stripped and layered with Dynamat, which is a sound deadening material to prevent rattles and other unwanted resonance. I highly recommend this for anybody who is contemplating a sub enclosure in the back. The last thing you want is to put thousands into an elaborate enclosure, only to have the sound ruined by a bunch of annoying rattles.

The only thing that's really not shown here is a 1 Farad Capacitor, which is tucked away in the driver's side well in the back. A cap is used to provide short bursts of power for the amplifiers. The cap is essential for preventing your headlights or dash lights from dimming on heavy bass notes when you're really cranking the system.

By the way, I used to own a car audio business and was a professional installer for a several years just in case you're wondering.

That's about it. If anybody has any questions, let me know.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks awesome!!! Wow!!! Good move on the cap...many people neglect to do this.

I have just one request...please don't crank that Madonna outside the confines of your garage...for obvious reasons!

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW!!!

I have a few questions. Did you take out the spare tire? Can you list all components and the total price. Also how much do you think it would cost to install it and how long? Thanks!

OP
OP
B

Baron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElDiablo Viper:
WOW!!!

I have a few questions. Did you take out the spare tire?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the spare tire is history. Some people freak out about losing their spare tire, but for me it's no big deal because 99.9% of the driving I do is cruising around town, so if I get a flat, I can just call my wife and tell her to bring me the spare.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElDiablo Viper:

Can you list all components and the total price.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alpine 7995 CD Player
JL Audio XR650-CS 6.5" Separates

JL Audio 15W3 D2 Subwoofer
JL Audio 300/2 2-channel amp
JL Audio 500/1 Mono amp

Lightning Audio 1-Farad Capacitor
Dynamat Bulk Pack (36 Sq. Ft.)

----------------

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
that's too funny! I got almost the exact set up as you do with the Amps and subs and...componet set.....who did your install?

OP
OP
B

Baron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ab:
who did your install?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did it.

OP
OP
B

Baron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ab:
with that cover, do you have to worry about your amps over heating?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problems have surfaced yet.

I took a cruise yesterday for an hour and a half in the Florida sun at 95 degrees with the system at a pretty good volume the whole way. No problems with overheating. I was aware that overheating could be a problem when I started the project so I made sure that the subwoofer I bought could be wired in such a way that it presented a 4 ohm load to the amp. Even though the amp can potentially go down to 1 ohm and therefore put out more power, this comes a great price in terms of both current draw and heat generation. So I decided to put reliability above raw output by playing it safe with the load.

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very nicely done, your attention to detail shows.

One point I would add to the spare tire topic is that in the Viper, unlike most cars, the spare tire was engineered to be a part of the crumple zone in a rear impact. In most audio installs where the spare is ditched this is only a potential inconvenience, but in the Viper in a rear crash is does count for something more. Just FYI.

OP
OP
B

Baron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACR Jim:
One point I would add to the spare tire topic is that in the Viper, unlike most cars, the spare tire was engineered to be a part of the crumple zone in a rear impact. In most audio installs where the spare is ditched this is only a potential inconvenience, but in the Viper in a rear crash is does count for something more. Just FYI.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I heard about that issue before I considered doing the project. However, it's not like the spare tire has been removed and replaced with nothing. In fact, I would argue that the 5/8" thick fiberglass enclosure molded into the contours of the floor and reenforced by the steel frame of the bolted-in subwoofer gives at least as much strength to the back end of the car as the flimsy-mounted spare did.