Cutting out the cats

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure what all the exhaust options are for a Gen I RT, but has anyone just cut out the catalytic converters and replaced with a straight pipe and left the rest of the exhaust the same? Does this improve HP and sound?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for this unhelpful reply, but I'm curious...did you post your cat removal question twice, because there's two cats to remove on the car?
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I'm hoping to get the same advice for the left side as for the right side...but as far as the sound goes, I guess I only care what it sounds like on my side...the driver's side!

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patrick,

Have you thought about buying the racing cats? I think that Sean Roe and TNT have them. Not sure about the HP gains, but do remember a recent post by Sean about this product - check his web site. As you may know, I removed the mufflers and left the cats. Sounds great at WOT!!! We have a car in the NT VCA that removed the cats and mufflers. It is LOUD. Let me know if I can help.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
"Sound is in the ear of the beholder" (Be-hearer?)

Personally, the catless, straight-thru sidepipe cars that I have heard are ratty/raucous sounding. More worthy of a teen-$200 pickup with straight pipes. The DB level 20" below your ear, and your passenger's ear, is headache-inducing.

We all know that Gen-I cars benefit more from better breathing than Gen-II cars do.

I would suggest the "world highest-flowing" warranteed bullet style cats, and possible a hi-flow muffler...perhaps a stubby, inexpensive hi-flow glasspack, (which can even be rotated 180-degrees to "tune" the sound inexpensively to a civilized ROAR!)

Yes, PartsRack sells the cats, right in your backyard, thanks!

JonB

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At last I've found something to disagree with JB!!!!!!
As he said sound is in the ears of the beholder.........
but with my cats removed and replaced with Borla Sportsman
mufflers (3" inlet,3" outlet 3 1/2 " diameter) I think
the sound is loud distinctive and"bad"....IMO

Reaction score
My 94 has Edelbrock headers with a catless 3" borla exhaust. As JonB says this is a loud car. Personally, I love it. Especially at WOT. Unfortunately, the cats were removed before I received the car and I have no before/after performance data.