Dash Lighting Comparison Photos!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know that some guys were curious about what certain colors may look like on the dash- well... Here you go!

White w/Blue ODO:
You must be registered for see images

Blue w/White ODO:

Blue w/Blue ODO:

Red w/White ODO:

The white/blue is very clean, and the blue/white is just as nice. Blue/Blue is hard to read the ODO, and Red in any form loses much of the information on the dial. I think my favorite is Blue/white, as these LED's are bordering on UV, and it makes the orange needles and white dials REALLY "pop".

I think we are going to start stocking these, I am sure many guys would like to tack these onto other orders...

Last edited:

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will take the Blue with White ODO. Any type of instructions included or stupid simple enough? Will the kit come with the LED's to do the side gauges as well?

PM please!

Thanks

-Tim

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tim-

It is actually a rather involved installation, but not at all undoable by most remotely mechanically inclined people. The only special tools you will need is a Steering Wheel Puller [Harbor freight] and a few assorted Torx screwdrivers... everything else is pretty standard.

Kits would include Main Dash Back Lights/ODO, Warning Lights, Side Gauge Cluster, HVAC console, and Ignition Key Trim Ring.

I didnt take any pictures [like a dummy] but it can be explained pretty simply with Text.

Last edited:

DholiRaja209

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The LED's make the gauges look much cleaner. I did all my guages in cool white. Night and day difference and would recommend it highly. Total time was 1.5 hrs and I didn't have to remove the steering wheel.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had put LEDs in my old 87 Shelby Charger. What a difference! Especially on that old tech dash. I never had any issue with the lighting on the Viper, but definitely thought about it anyway. I would go with a very white LED backlight and blue odometer. The purer the white the better. No blue or yellow tint.

I actually would like to see some successful looking LED TAIL LIGHTS though.

Derek

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim-

It is actually a rather involved installation, but not at all undoable by most remotely mechanically inclined people. The only special tools you will need is a Steering Wheel Puller [Harbor freight] and a few assorted Torx screwdrivers... everything else is pretty standard.

Kits would include Main Dash BackLights/ODO, Warning Nights, Side Gauge Cluster, HVAC console, and Ignition Key Trim Ring.

I didnt take any pictures [like a dummy] but it can be explained pretty simply with Text.

I didn't have to use a steering wheel puller...dropping the steering column (the two nuts on either side) gave me more than enough room to get to everything.

I had put LEDs in my old 87 Shelby Charger. What a difference! Especially on that old tech dash. I never had any issue with the lighting on the Viper, but definitely thought about it anyway. I would go with a very white LED backlight and blue odometer. The purer the white the better. No blue or yellow tint.

I actually would like to see some successful looking LED TAIL LIGHTS though.

Derek

What are you looking for for the tail lights? I just replaced all the bulbs with LEDs today successfully, but they don't look any different than stock (except for being a little more red and lighting up instantly like the third brake light does). Are you thinking of something that looks more like the Gen V?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed every light inside the car to blue LED and love it. I agree with the others that there is no need to remove the steering wheel. Looking back, it might have made it easier, but I did just fine leaving it in place.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the steering wheel method. Trying to do this job with a steering column and wheel sitting in my lap does not sound like a good time. Having access to the tools makes it easier of course. One method really doesnt really take any longer than the other I would say.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you looking for for the tail lights? I just replaced all the bulbs with LEDs today successfully, but they don't look any different than stock (except for being a little more red and lighting up instantly like the third brake light does). Are you thinking of something that looks more like the Gen V?

Well, good question. If someone made a nice OEM looking LED replacement, I would seriously consider it if it looked good, and not like a JC Whitney piece. Due to low volume, I doubt that will happen.

I would be curious to see a video of simple LED bulb replacements in the tail lights, turning on and off. I have tried this before with poor results, but LED configurations and technology has improved over the years...

Derek

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subscribing for future announcements! Looking to do this in winter, through eBay LEDs or preferably this kit.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So if you do this do you still have the green radio illumination?

Yes, there is not much that can be done about that without disassembling the radio and physically replacing the LED's they used... good luck on that one, ha. However, the items in the car that are green are rather dim to sy the least, you dont notice them very much.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For everyone who asked about when/where/etc: I will post these on our website sometime in the next couple days. However, please be aware that I obviously cannot sell them for what I can buy them for, this is a "convenience charge" item where it is packaged correctly for the application and comes with some basic instructions. You can of course buy these online at your own risk, but I cannot support and ship a product I make no money on.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For everyone who asked about when/where/etc: I will post these on our website sometime in the next couple days. However, please be aware that I obviously cannot sell them for what I can buy them for, this is a "convenience charge" item where it is packaged correctly for the application and comes with some basic instructions. You can of course buy these online at your own risk, but I cannot support and ship a product I make no money on.

Agreed, this is for the lazy ones. It is a pain to scour all the various LED sites. As long as its a reasonable 'convenience fee', I bet they will sell.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are multiple bulbs that light the instrument cluster, so it is theoretically possible, I just don't know if there would be any bleed over between the gauges if you went with totally different colors for adjacent gauges.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can you do a red tachometer and white fuel gauge/speedo, or do the 3 lights run off of one LED?

Would not work, since there are no "hard stops" for any of the main backlights other than the ODO. They are all positioned around or between gauges to maximize their spread.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I replaced my bulbs twice in my 03. I had it down to 45 minutes the 2nd time around. Did not pull the steering wheel, no need if you take your time. The odometer bulb is a little different then the other bulbs size wise if i remember right.I think there was like 11 or 12 bulbs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang