Dash Lights Went Out While Driving

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving my 99 GTS the other day and getting comfortable with braking hard in rain. After I did this a few times the dash lights turned off.

Im guessing I blew a fuse. But any idea why this would have happened?

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And also anyone know the location of the fuse or relay I can check If this is the issue?
Thanks

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Take a look at fuse block behind small panel on underside of dash just above driver's left knee...examine/test fuse #2 as my first guess.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at fuse block behind small panel on underside of dash just above driver's left knee...examine/test fuse #2 as my first guess.

Steve,

Thanks for the help fuse #2 was good, I also swapped it with another and still no dice. I also pulled every fuse in that box and they all appeared good.

Where should I look to next? Like I said it happened in the rain when I was fooling around trying to get comfortable with locking up the brakes.
I don't know if it's anything to do with the braking system or the rain but the lights went out while I was driving that night.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would assume you have a short, however, you would think if you had an exposed wire that got wet, it would have shorted the system and blew the fuse. First place i would look is at the actual head light switch. It's possible it is going bad or has loose connections.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would assume you have a short, however, you would think if you had an exposed wire that got wet, it would have shorted the system and blew the fuse. First place i would look is at the actual head light switch. It's possible it is going bad or has loose connections.

John, The headlight switch makes sense. The other day I went to take it for a spin at night and noticed that the gauges flash when I lock and unlock the car through the key fob alarm.

So that tells me the lights are getting power and all the fuses are good. Does that mean that it can only be the headlight switch?

Anyone have a headlight switch for sale!?